Things candle people say.

Ramr

Since getting into this addictive craft (sport? endeavour? past time?) there are a few phrases I have uttered that I can honestly say had never issued forth from my mouth before in my life. A few examples of things I never said before candles:

"This is stupid wax."   I have never had a reason before now to utter such a collection of words.

"This wick sucks."  Again, not a sentence I had ever uttered before now.

"Well, that's a crappy melt pool."  I am surprised that I even know what a melt pool is let alone use it in a sentence or know when one is crappy.

"Darn those annoying sink holes!"  Again, this is something you should say on the edge of a swamp, not in your kitchen.

Some things are happening too that have never happened before. Like Hub comes in from a long day at work, opens the liquor cabinet to pour himself a shot of something stiff and ...where have all the shot glasses gone? I don't know. But look at these adorable itty, bitty container candles, don't you just love them? Here's an empty paper cup that I had coffee in last week, drink up.

• Like 1
  • Haha 12

Do you have kids? Grandkids? It's hilarious when they start uttering candle related phrases. 

While watching one of my giant candle bowls candles burn the other day, my 11 year old son tells me, "mom, I think this one has too many wicks, the melt pool is really big." He was right. 😶

And my high schooler came home the other day and asked me "mom, are my tarts done curing yet?". She is bringing in some Palm tarts for her Spanish teacher. 😆

Sadly I can't get anyone to play along when I start talking about pouring temperature, jar adhesion, and melting points. I guess there's a limit, lol.

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

4 hours ago, Sarah S said:

Do you have kids? Grandkids? It's hilarious when they start uttering candle related phrases. 

While watching one of my giant candle bowls candles burn the other day, my 11 year old son tells me, "mom, I think this one has too many wicks, the melt pool is really big." He was right. 😶

And my high schooler came home the other day and asked me "mom, are my tarts done curing yet?". She is bringing in some Palm tarts for her Spanish teacher. 😆

Sadly I can't get anyone to play along when I start talking about pouring temperature, jar adhesion, and melting points. I guess there's a limit, lol.

When I was a teenager a tart wasn't something that you melted so it would smell good

• Haha 6

On 9/20/2018 at 9:05 AM, Kerven said:

When in the store with someone, while browsing the candles and making comments in low tones about "wet spots", which are overheard by another shopper, who makes an odd face before moving along.

I can relate...I once commented that a candle I was smelling in a store smelled....like...dirty socks! I got an odd look, then she laughed! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 9/21/2018 at 6:36 PM, Hopie said:

a candle I was smelling in a store smelled....like...dirty socks!

That's the one I've been trying to find for some time now for my new Locker Room Fragrance. The one I'm really in need of now is "Stale Tobacco Smoke" for my next collection, "Old Girlfriends That I Convinced Myself I Could Learn To Accept Anyway".

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

On 9/21/2018 at 6:36 PM, Hopie said:

I can relate...I once commented that a candle I was smelling in a store smelled....like...dirty socks! I got an odd look, then she laughed! 

Lol this reminds me of several years ago I was talking to a lady in a coupon group online. We were messaging back and forth and she told me you know there's a secret to making a lot of money. I was curious so I asked  her how. She said she sells dirty socks on eBay lol I was blown away and said what are you talking about. she said if you wear socks and get them dirty and stinky and sweaty people will buy them for extra curricular activities. I told her no way that is disgusting and I refuse to make money like that. but I was curious so I looked it up and she is not joking you can make a lot of money doing that.  I don't know if it's still allowed on eBay this was about 5 or 6 years ago. But to me it's very immoral to do that.

Edited by ShelleyF
  • Confused 1

8 hours ago, Quentin said:

That's the one I've been trying to find for some time now for my new Locker Room Fragrance. The one I'm really in need of now is "Stale Tobacco Smoke" for my next collection, "Old Girlfriends That I Convinced Myself I Could Learn To Accept Anyway".

You know there are really weird people that would buy that. Lol my husband's best friend loves the smell of skunk. I think it is disgusting.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ShelleyF said:

Lol this reminds me of several years ago I was talking to a lady in a coupon group online. We were messaging back and forth and she told me you know there's a secret to making a lot of money. I was curious so I asked  her how. She said she sells dirty socks on eBay lol I was blown away and said what are you talking about. she said if you wear socks and get them dirty and stinky and sweaty people will buy them for extra curricular activities. I told her no way that is disgusting and I refuse to make money like that. but I was curious so I looked it up and she is not joking you can make a lot of money doing that.  I don't know if it's still allowed on eBay this was about 5 or 6 years ago. But to me it's very immoral to do that.

lol,,...oh my gosh...that is nasty...

Trappeur

• Sad 1

Speaking of which....I used to sell clothing (clean, not stinky...LOL) on ebay.  It was a good living.  Buying pre-owned high end stuff at thrifts and reselling.  You'd be amazed at what you can find if you really know what to look for. 

Anyway, I learned that one great thing to find for resale were stilettos in whopping big sizes...for men.  And footie pajamas....really big ones....for really big babies. There was even a certain way to spell "discreet" in listings to designate the type of buyers you were catering to....indicating you would ship in discreet packaging.  There was a specific protocol for those types of sales. Code, so to speak. 
That was as freaky as I got with it, and that was on the extremely tame end of the spectrum.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

6 hours ago, ShelleyF said:

I know people sell panties they've worn online. The take a picture of them wearing the panties and then state how many hours they were worn. People are paying big bucks.

• Confused 1

6 hours ago, Faerywren said:

I know people sell panties they've worn online. The take a picture of them wearing the panties and then state how many hours they were worn. People are paying big bucks.

6 hours ago, Faerywren said:

That is gross. I knew they sold that. There is no way I could do that. It's supposed to be not allowed. All items are supposed to be clean but everyone knows the sickos buy it. My conscience would not allow me to do that. 

• Like 1

🙈🙈🙊🙊

I have no words.... selling stinky socks and obviously stinky underwear can make you good money?? People really do this?

hell what am I doing battling wax when I can just throw my undergarments in a package at the end of the day and pay my mortgage 😂🤣

So gross - I think I am traumatized now 

50C8822D-E153-4E33-82A7-E719FC5570D8.jpeg

• Haha 3

So...um...the dirty socks comment...suuuure went into a twisted issue. EUUUUWWWWW! DisGUSTing! Gross! It's a sick world out there. Our "candle addiction madness" is really not so bad, huh? I feel sooooo much better now. 

Speaking of odd...my first job in Las Vegas was selling club wear to the tourists. We were open until 10 p.m. So, at about 9 p.m., this man comes in, peruses the dress rack...chooses a few then disappears into the dressing room. He emerged wearing a VERY tight purple spandex type of dress...looking at himself proudly in the mirror...I mean, he looked like a bratwurst about to split and burst on the BBQ grill...and...it...took...everything...in...my...very...FIBER...not to ROTFLMAO! Oh, how DID I contain myself? :laugh2:

I was so grateful when I got my first food n' beverage job :lol:

• Haha 2

Wait! Wait! We can bring this wildly off topic thread back in line!

Take your worn, not-fresh underwear, dip them in wax, roll them around a wick and sell them as candles. Claim they will release pheromones or some such nonsense when lit. They will need to carry a safety label: "WARNING only light these outdoors in a 45 gallon steel barrel, otherwise your house will burn down and the insurance people will not cover you if you lit some old, stinky, flammable panties on fire, you idiot! "

What will we call them? Flannel Flames? Gaslight Gonch? Pyro-Panties?  I think I've just found my get-rich-quick scheme. I claim all rights from now on until the end of the universe for this idea which no one can ever patent or copy, amen.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/25/2018 at 8:03 AM, ShelleyF said:

I have two friends who sell used socks on eBay. They do well, enough so it's their FT job.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, iansmommaya said:

I have two friends who sell used socks on eBay. They do well, enough so it's their FT job.

I know you can make a lot doing it. Very easy money but it  goes against my beliefs. Everyone has to make that decision.