This is nuts!

Ramr

I am seriously out of control. Seriously. I have candles. So many candles. Yeah, I like candles, but at what point do you have enough candles? I think I passed that 60 candles ago. I can't get a grip on  myself!

This is the conversation that is running through my head: "Hmm, I like vanilla mixed with peach, but what will happen when I mix it with cinnamon? (makes candles). Not that great. Try another blend. (makes more candles) Yeah, these are excellent, I need to put these in my personal stash. Just for me. But what about Christmas and birthdays and other gift giving occasions? I won't want to deplete my personal stash for that. Better make more, you know, for just in case. (makes more candles). I have lots of sweet scents and that's fine, I like sweet. BUt what about friends who don't like sweet and want something more aromatic? (makes more candles)......"

Good lord. When friends drop over I never let them leave without taking some candles with them. They always gasp as I set the box full of candles on the table for them to sniff and choose. I smile, as if this is all the fruits of my labours that I am generously sharing. No! No! It's a lie! I have, off in a corner, a MASSIVE paper bag stacked to the top with votives and they're mine MINE! My preciousesssss...

Help me!

• Like 2
  • Haha 8

24 minutes ago, Ramr said:

I am seriously out of control. Seriously. I have candles. So many candles.

I smile, as if this is all the fruits of my labours that I am generously sharing. No! No! It's a lie! I have, off in a corner, a MASSIVE paper bag stacked to the top with votives and they're mine MINE! My preciousesssss...

LOL. I'm there with you. I have candles stashed all over the house and not all are pretty & nice. I keep meaning to have a candle melt down party and of course turn right around and make new ones. YeeHaw!   :02:

Edited by Laura C
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Oh gosh, I feel you.  I have a problem with containers.  I'm always picking up containers that I think would make a great candle.  Slap a wick in it and BAM...I gotta new candle.  But I never burn them because I'm always testing a bunch of something and I don't have time to burn for pleasure.  
And for regular stuff, I'm always making up cases at the time, more than I can sell.  So I stockpile them with the intentions of gifting them.  Then when it is time to gift, I get stingy.  I sniff something I'd forgotten about and think, "Oh this is nice.  I'll keep it for myself."  Again, at a far greater rate than I can actually burn them.

So, I get it.  I'm there too.

Did I mention I have a container problem?

On top of the candle problem, I have a hoarding problem when it comes to containers.  I have at least 4 cases of the purple Ball jars that I got super cheap, and I thought they would be great for spring.  Two springs have come and gone and I haven't poured a single one, because I hate to get rid of the pretty jars.  (And that is just one container type that I'm currently hoarding.  I won't mention the others.)

Then I started making containers because I was going to sell a handmade candle in a handmade container, but I'm unhealthily attached to the containers I make and haven't sold a single one.  I've poured some.....

for me.....

See problem above. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

I can't even begin to count how many candles (pillars & containers)that I have forced on my friends.....but ya know, that's ok because I get my pleasure from pouring them....and I know, without a doubt that the person who burns the candle will enjoy it.  Of course it is nice when someone does respond with some positive feedback on the candle but ya know, I have found that so much of the public really doesn't know what a quality candle is...they are so used to the store-bought candles that they don't know a candle is supposed to fill the room with scent and burn down to the bottom....but then how many of them have been educated on the ''hugging'' process to maximize the burning of the candle.

Ramr:  when wanting to know how differenr scents blend try making some melts instead of a full candle.  I have found that making and burning melts does give me an idea of how the particular scents blend and throw..........heck, if a blend doesn't meet your expectations, you have not lost anything and expended very little time and product 

Edited by Pam W
  • Like 5

Guilty, guilty, guilty! Of all the things confessed here! I have cases of candles that I made to sell or give away, but for whatever reason I've kept them. I have multiple candles in various states of burn on all the mantles in my house. The dining room buffet has candles. The ledge between the kitchen and study has candles. The bar has candles. Bedrooms, bathrooms, the basement rec room, there are so many candles! I often look at the jars with a few inches of wax left and think, "That should just go on the melter to be done with it", but yet, there they sit; mocking me. I too have jars and containers that I bought to "put a candle in someday". Fragrance oils are multiplying and no matter how many times I tell myself to "use what you have before you buy more", I am but a weak mortal with a PayPal account and no self control. It seems we are all in a bit of a pickle.

Edited by Faerywren
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

I'm so enjoying this conversation! 😄

My family has a lake house up in NJ, and my candles have begun making the trip up with me. I tell my family I'm "testing" them, but really they're the ones that didn't quite pass muster but I can't bear to chuck. Sometimes I "forget" to bring them back home with me, so now the lake house has half-burned candles in pretty much every room. And that doesn't even count the ones I bring up specifically for gifts! I do the same thing with soap, everyone in my circle is squeaky clean and fragrant. 😂😂

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

I can't smell them anymore. Really, I'm serious. I thought no one else could smell them either. So, I signed up the lady across the street to be my tester.  I take them to her, and she reports back. I know they must be doing something, because at least once a day my eyes start to  burn so badly that it feels like someone threw acid in my face! 

Edited by Quentin
meant "badly" not "bad"
  • Like 3

17 minutes ago, Quentin said:

I can't smell them anymore. Really, I'm serious. I thought no one else could smell them either. So, I signed up the lady across the street to be my tester.  I take them to her, and she reports back. I know they must be doing something, because at least once a day my eyes start to  burn so badly that it feels like someone threw acid in my face! 

Oh, geez, that doesn't sound right. I've never had my eyes burn. Maybe you're having allergic reactions to something or there's also some other fumes in your house. I'd look into that in a hurry if I was you and stop burning candles until you figure it out. :eek2:

I just LOVE this post! I nevah' laugh so HARD! :laugh2: I remember having way too many candles when we had the house on 2 acres, and I had candles everywhere! Now that we're in the motor home, I have to limit them by FORCE! My rule is that if I buy something that's going INTO the RV...then something has to come OUT of the RV, or we would burst at the seems! However...those.little.sample.oils.don't.take.much.space...right? :lol:  sniff, sniff...ahhhhhh! 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

I too have candle butts all over the house so every once in a while, I gather them up and make new candles with the leftovers.  For pillars, I  remelt the butts and layer the different leftover and the same with container candles.....just melt them one by one and pour them either into a pillar mold or container depending on the wax.  Now when I burn these salvaged candles, I get some throws that I cannot identify but enjoy the heck out of them.  I cannot count the times that I've said to myself ""what the heck is that scent...its amazing)

Ramr:  next time you blend vanilla with peach, add a itty-bit of patch or musk.....hey, sandlewood would be a nice additive too.....like I'm helping you right...yes I am because  as a Craftserver member, I feel it is my job to help you make the most out of your delimma and enjoy your candle making experience to it fullest.  (you bought that, right??)

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

• 4 months later...
On 9/17/2018 at 9:53 PM, Ramr said:

This is the conversation that is running through my head: "Hmm, I like vanilla mixed with peach, but what will happen when I mix it with cinnamon? (makes candles). Not that great. Try another blend. (makes more candles) Yeah, these are excellent, I need to put these in my personal stash.

Self-proclaimed fragrance strumpet checking in.   Save yourself some heartache (and money) and buy perfumer's test strips. One drop per strip, waft them in front of your nose, adding and subtracting drops and scents. Play until you find a mix/ratio you like, then put it into wax to see how it performs.    It's tedious, but it saves time and money in the end.

I've finally accepted it's the smells I like more than candles themselves.  Candles and melts are just the medium to smell the fragrance.  :(

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 9/23/2018 at 5:43 PM, Pam W said:

Now when I burn these salvaged candles, I get some throws that I cannot identify but enjoy the heck out of them.  I cannot count the times that I've said to myself ""what the heck is that scent...its amazing)

That's a neat and easy way to make a Mystery Candle. :P

• Like 1