Revisiting C3 - Need wick suggestions

Decided to try C 3 wax again and now in love with it. Been using CD wicks, but wondering if experienced C3 users had any opinions.

8 just ordered some cotton core as they burn hotter? Opinions on that? Using C3 with a tiny amount of coconut oil.

Thanks!

I rarely get any sort of acceptable throw in any soy in my containers with cd wicks. Started long ago with 464 and cd wicks and wondered for years why - without overwicking - the candles did not throw. 🙃 tried as recently as a year ago with the messed up 464, 415 and 444 and found it had gotten even worse.

in C3 cd under perform, as C3 is a bit harder to burn than 464. The cd produce a flame that melts the wax without the ability to draw enough wax up through the wick to keep the melt pool in check. That makes for deep melt pools and leaning wicks. In more technical terms, the rate of consumption (ROC) is out of balance. 

Eco have been performing very well in my C3 lots this year. Unscented in 3” diameter tins an eco12-14 will usually do the job. I find with scent C3 needs to be wicked down 1-4 sizes depending on the fragrance. Meaning for a few fragrances eco6 does a great job. The majority do well with eco8 or eco 10. A few outliers need eco12 or very very rarely eco14. The higher ones  like my sweet Amber, cider, or frankincense and myrrh always need a major wick up to burn. Campfire scents could easily get to eco16 as they chemically change the wick and make it nearly impossible to burn. The only way to know is to test each FO from start to finish in your containers. Like all soy, C3 lots vary somewhat in moisture content, which can change the burn. Aging the fresh cases helps level the requirements. You can actually feel if the flakes are too fresh as they feel damp and oily.

If you dislike the look of C3 after a burn, universal soy additive can help, but you will need to adjust wicking accordingly. I found USA to diminish HT as it needs an even hotter wick than a reasonable rate of consumption could keep up with in my containers. 

hth.

• Thanks 3

I tried cd wicks with C3 but think I need hotter. Does the soy additive smooth out the afterburner texture? I don’t have any but do have stearic which I have used to smooth out other soy waxes.I did order some tester of eco wicks whichI used a long time ago