Everyone's favorite FO supplier and why....

Dhara

Hi everyone, I've been making and testing soy candles for a few months now. I've been using 464 and FO from Candle Science with CS 8oz tins with Eco wicks, eco 10 seems to do best. I've also made a few 464 melts that I haven't tested yet because they are curing. Some of the FO have good CT and barely any HT. Some neither. I tried to pick which ones I tested by reviews left by people using 464. I want to try some other suppliers and would love to hear others feedback of what suppliers they like for 464 and why. Thanks! 

Also if anyone has blended another type with the 464 for better HT they would share would be great too. I've read some people blend 415 with 464 for better HT and also some people blend coconut wax with 464 for better HT. Hoping to get some insight from others experiences.

Hi @Dhara, I've tried the 444 with CW Cocowax, 50/50 and gotten any where from barely any to spectacular hot throw. Replying because it's similar and from the same manufacturer.  I really think it comes down to the FO.  For example 444 alone threw well for me the first time I used it with %10 BBC Gingersnap Eco 8, 8oz straight sided glass jar, 2.5" D.  But, it's ugly, so, I added %50 coconut.  (Still ugly %95 of the time,) but for example 12% of a bakery blend barely had a HT, with similar set up.  6% of a fruity/bakery blend has had a medium throw, same wick/wax /jar.  A little bitty 4oz, straight sided glass jar 2 " D, same wax, 720 premier wick fills my large bedroom with just 6% Blend of Honey Bee from RE, Green Herbal -WSP and Cedar Chips extreme strength -SOS (hoo boy, strong).  Note- this has unanimously been thought to be too strong by everyone in my house.  😒 😄 But that's a small candle with 6% FO.  Just goes to show I guess how much trail and error there is with FO's.  I've found similar throw to candles for a few of the melts I've made from the same blend. The bakery and fruity bakery blends performed about the same in a melt as they did in candles.  Best thrower so far, hands down, for melts and wax was BB buttermint (now discontinued) 1 oz P/P.  But I bet my little candle that could would throw pretty well as a melt too.  FO's have really varried.  

Edited by Jenni Wix
Correcting HT detail.

*trial.  I didn't answer the original question.  ...

It's hard to pick just one supplier for FO.  Many will say even the good suppliers have hits and misses.   

BB, the few I've tried have been quite strong in wax for me.  I recently tried RE, I like many of them, but only put a few in wax with good results.  SOS I like for novelty, variety, and have found some strong, accurate, single notes.  Some of thier FOs on the other hand, have seemed light, or not what I expected.  I love thier sniffie samples. Takes the risk out of trying lot of things.

Nurture Soap is actually great. The people I had sniffing OOB the other day loved most of those oils.  They are primarily a soap supplier, but the two I've tried so far, at %6 in candles have been fantastic.    

• Like 1

Well if I had to pick one today I would pick Community Candle because their FOs tend to be stronger and they are such nice people; however my hit rate is better with Nature's Garden, but I'm certain my favorite is one I haven't tried yet so I must try the all.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Jenni Wix- What is BB, RE, and SOS? I'm still learning all the different suppliers so don't know all the abbreviations yet. And thank you for sharing your experiences with the 444 and Cocowax. It's all extremely helpful. There is so much more to learn than people realize and definitely a lot of trial and error but I'm enjoying learning! 

Forrest- I have not heard of Community Candle, I will look them up. And I have seen a lot of people talking about Natures Garden so have looked at their fragrances but haven't ordered yet. Thank you!

• Like 1

I just found the suppliers and abbreviations post! So figured out what BB, RE and SOS is. I used to make melt and pour goats milk soap with FO from Brambleberry. I didn't realize they could be used in candles as well. My favorite from them is a tobacco FO I used in a melt in pour shave soap and the goats milk. It doesn't smell like tobacco how people would think it's a very fresh masculine fragrance.

• Like 1

The suppliers I like mostly for me and I use for 464 are:

1:    Flaming Candle:     They are just a couple hours from me.   I order today and I have tomorrow.  As with all suppliers they all have their hits and misses.  I order quite a bit from them every week and many oils.    Their shipping is great and customer service is also.   If you email them, they respond pretty much right away any questions.   Great company.   They are my main supplier of everything.

2:   Candle Science:   Another company that I find makes fine fragrances that pretty much all throw wonderful.   Shipping is not bad and customer service pretty good.

3.  Community Candle:    Even though they are in Alabama and I'm in Georgia.   I order today and get next day.   They have some nice oils too.   I really do need to do a lot more testings of oils from them.

4.  Fillmore Candle:   Of course shipping is more being they are in PA...but they have nice oils too and the most expansive jar collection out there.   Little slow on shipping but really no problem.

5.  Lonestar Candle:   Another great company and shipping is great and decent pricing.   I get my jars from them and oils and wicks.   Customer service great.6.

6.  Bittercreek:     Great oils!   Shipping is a little slow but that's ok.   

I find most of the candle suppliers out there are pretty good with customer service and shipping orders right away.

Trappeur   

• Like 1

I have 3 that i mainly use.

bittercreek. They were the first company that i started ordering from. They have great oils and reasonably priced with good customer service.

Candlewic. They have great fo a little bit higher in price versus bc but you can use less on most so it evens out. They are also on ebay and their customer service is good as well. Shipping for me is fast but im in va so not to far.

Candle science. Their oils are the bomb. Higher than bc but quality.

one thing that i really like about cs is they have values and stand by them without wavering. Like the  situation with their palm wax and they support a living wage. 

If i have to pick another it would be a toss up between cierra and natures garden. Ng offers a rewards program plus lower cost on shipping.

Cierra offers free shipping on orders of fo molds and dye of 100 or more

• Like 2

I wanted to chime in and share my personal favorite suppliers.  I do have a few favorites and they are as follows:

Natures Garden- They have far more hits than misses for me and their FO's are so reasonably priced.  And as @ScentedPleasurez had mentioned they have a rewards program and if you buy 5 or more 16 oz bottles you get $1.00 off of each bottle.  Plus they are local to me.... 

WSP- They have one the best quality FO's that I have ever used.  But, I do tend to be more selective with what I buy from them.  I do most of my buying in store due to getting a discount in store (I am local to them) or I buy during their online sales because anything over $25 ships free!!! Can't beat that especially with the quality of their oils.  

Candle Science- Yet another top notch company with excellent FO's and pretty reasonable shipping!  

Fragance Buddy- Quality FO's and anything over $100 ships free!  I also just figured out that Adam the owner is pretty awesome!  Any issues and they are very accommodating to say the least! 

Flaming Candle- Nice reasonable prices and a good selection of FO's to choose from.  Shipping is fair also!  

Just Scent- They have quite the selection of FO's!  I would suggest doing a search for JS here on the forums or touching base with some of the other ladies from here that have bought from JS  to help you with your selection.  She has excellent dupes!  And her prices are GREAT!  Shipping is VERY REASONABLE also!  

Candle Cocoon-  PHENOMENAL FO's & their Customer service is top notch!  I strongly suggest them!  

I have yet to order from Bittercreek directly, but will be doing so soon.  Everything that I have from them is FAB!  

As far as the 464 blending are you looking to stay 100% soy or are you own to parasoy?  Lmk 

• Like 2

Oops... I forgot to mention ICS (Indiana Candle Supply) They have such reasonably priced FO's and the owner is ON TOP OF THINGS!  You ask a question and she replies with the quickness as my son would say 😂  Her stuff is pretty darn amazing!  Especially for the price!  Give them a shot!  Belinda is the one who finally got me to order from them and I am so glad I did!  HTH!

Anyways, what are some of your favorites?   

• 3 months later...
8 hours ago, Dhara said:

I just found Aztec Candle and soap supplies today. Has anyone tried FO or anything from them? They have a special 5 1oz for $5 so I thought I'd order some to test out. 

I've had success with my wax melts using Aztec for a few holiday FO but my go to supplier seems to be WSP, Just Scent or VA Candle. Candle Science FO were really good for me too but I haven't ordered more from them other than my first batch of trial 1oz because everyone else has had sales lately. 

I will never put all my eggs in one basket.  Too many suppliers have gone out of business leaving people in a jam.  Nature's Garden is one I use quite a few from, WSP when they have a sale, Elements Bath & Body for a few, Rustic Escentuals.

9 hours ago, Dhara said:

I just found Aztec Candle and soap supplies today. Has anyone tried FO or anything from them? They have a special 5 1oz for $5 so I thought I'd order some to test out. 

I order quite a few from Aztec. They offer a special every month where you can buy 5 samples for $5 and anytime they have a new oil you get it at a discounted price. The ones I like are:

Iced Lemon Cookies

Bedtime Bath

Berry Flirt

Black Coconut

Black Ice

Blueberry Cobbler

Blueberry Pumpkin Patch

Brazilian coffee and pure cane

Caramel Pecan Pie

Cider Lane

Cinnamon Sugared donut

Cozy Cabin

Cranberry Joy

Eggnog

French lavender and honey

French vanilla latte

Fruit loops

Spiced gingerbread

Grandma's kitchen

Just Peachy

Leaves

Marshmallow Fireside

Mistletoe kisses

Sweater weather

I have more from them but haven't put them in wax yet. I will say I don't care for their birthday cake or salted caramel even though there are great reviews about those two oils. To me their birthday cake smells like play dough. 

I like Aztec a lot, I use many of their oils. I often take advantage of their 5/$5 promotions, sometimes I want to try something different, or sometimes I only want an ounce of something as a mixer. However, I generally dislike B&BW fragrances, and that seems to be their wheelhouse.

Recently, I have found myself ordering more from Candle Science and The Flaming Candle. Their oils throw very well, and they have interesting fragrances at reasonable prices. I'm also a fan of Bittercreek, but man, their TAT is slow, and their customer services leaves a lot to be desired.

I recently received my first order from Pure Fragrance Oils, I have yet to put them in wax, but OOB they are super strong and smell great. And although there was a problem with my order, they were very contientious and accommodating, and went out of their way to keep me informed about the status of my order. I will definitely orderr from them again!

58 minutes ago, Forrest said:

Aztec Blackberry Sage is a must have FO. Their Rosemary Pepper is great for Lavender blends, but just use a little.

Is Aztec good for herbals?  That is a zone I seem to have trouble finding good FOs for, but it sounds like from the two you listed that Aztec may be a good option.

41 minutes ago, Paintguru said:

Is Aztec good for herbals?  That is a zone I seem to have trouble finding good FOs for, but it sounds like from the two you listed that Aztec may be a good option.

I'm not sure. I haven't ordered from them too much, but those two are very strong. The Rosemary Pepper can be a little overwhelming, unless you really like pepper scent.