adding beeswax to coconut and ugly jar adhesion

schmee123

Recently I have been experimenting more with adding a tiny amount of beeswax to my coconut wax to help with the burn. (.25oz per 8oz of coco)

The jar adhesion looks so ugly. Normally when I use the coconut wax on its own, the wax adheres perfect even without preheating the jars.

But with beeswax it has a streaky look, or maybe it's jump lines? I've tried hand washing the jars as well as washing in the dishwasher, I've also tried preheating them. 

I think I read that beeswax isn't really meant for containers. So is this just something I am going to have to deal with or is there a way to fix it from looking this ugly?

IMG_2554.JPG

IMG_2555.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

What are you trying to achieve by adding the BW? What coconut wax are you using? So that is 3% you are adding it at, right? Does it do this if you add it at 1 or 2%? Are you pouring hot enough? Many coconut waxes say to pour close to 200 to get jar adhesion. 

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I recently started adding 5% beeswax as the recommendation for coconut 83 to harden it up a little and I am getting perfect jar adhesion so far, but I am using soda koozie can holders to slow the cool. Heating to 200-210 and pouring at 185-190 if that helps you.

Jump lines?

I think this can happen with Any wax. I get them if I pour at a low temperature and pour to slow. Also if your container is cold.

Soooo, warm up your container, pour warmer and don’t pour to slow. I don’t think it’s the beeswax or your combo of wax.🌸

• 1 month later...
On 7/2/2019 at 7:24 AM, CaptnKush said:

I recently started adding 5% beeswax as the recommendation for coconut 83 to harden it up a little and I am getting perfect jar adhesion so far, but I am using soda koozie can holders to slow the cool. Heating to 200-210 and pouring at 185-190 if that helps you.

How do you know how much 5% of beeswax is when you add it to your coconut wax? I'm trying to understand the math for this and am so confused. Is there an equation for this?

6 hours ago, Ruru said:

How do you know how much 5% of beeswax is when you add it to your coconut wax? I'm trying to understand the math for this and am so confused. Is there an equation for this?

By weight. 

If your candle takes, for instance, 10 oz of wax then multiple that total by 0.05 to get .5 oz of beeswax.

• Like 1

Your poured too cool and the percentage of beeswax maybe too high. You can do one test pouring at higher temp and see if you still get decent adhesion, if That doesn’t work lower the percentage of beeswax to 2.5 per cent and test again. You could also try adding a percentage of stearic acid.

Figuring out the percentage you can use the calculators on Wholesale Supplies plus, 5ey have two batch and percentage. Makes the math easy or what the heck just ask Alexa 😂

• Haha 1