Water separates from the soap mixture (CP)

Ana Lora

For 3 years I have been making Sea Salt Soap (CP), using the formula of 80% coconut oil, 8% Castor oil and 12% olive oil, all with 20% SF. I mix the lye with the water and add it to the oils at room temperature, add dye and essential oil and finally the coarse salt, pour the mixture into the mold and about 2 hours later I cut the it into small bars.
But my coconut oil supplier sent me a slightly darker oil that works well in the rest of the formulas but, apparently, in the salt soap is a disaster.
I have made the same formula without changing anything but Now when adding the salt the water starts to separate from the soap. I have varied the temperature of both the lye and the oils, colder, hotter and the result is always the same. I have mixed everything for a longer time so that a false trace does not happen, but the mix separates when adding the salt, just before pouring into the mold. Everything seems to be related to the salt that is added at the end (I'm using the same brand as always).
When talking with the coconut oil supplier he tells me that he makes soap and that the new oil does not give him any problems.
I live in a country with serious difficulties and it is impossible to change providers. The others that are sold at excessively expensive prices and produce without any ethical standards.
Has something similar happened to you? Do you have any idea what is happening in this case? If the coconut oil were adulterated could this happen?
my salt soap is the best sold among all my formulas, I'm a little desperate!

9 hours ago, Ana Lora said:

For 3 years I have been making Sea Salt Soap (CP), using the formula of 80% coconut oil, 8% Castor oil and 12% olive oil, all with 20% SF. I mix the lye with the water and add it to the oils at room temperature, add dye and essential oil and finally the coarse salt, pour the mixture into the mold and about 2 hours later I cut the it into small bars.
But my coconut oil supplier sent me a slightly darker oil that works well in the rest of the formulas but, apparently, in the salt soap is a disaster.
I have made the same formula without changing anything but Now when adding the salt the water starts to separate from the soap. I have varied the temperature of both the lye and the oils, colder, hotter and the result is always the same. I have mixed everything for a longer time so that a false trace does not happen, but the mix separates when adding the salt, just before pouring into the mold. Everything seems to be related to the salt that is added at the end (I'm using the same brand as always).
When talking with the coconut oil supplier he tells me that he makes soap and that the new oil does not give him any problems.
I live in a country with serious difficulties and it is impossible to change providers. The others that are sold at excessively expensive prices and produce without any ethical standards.
Has something similar happened to you? Do you have any idea what is happening in this case? If the coconut oil were adulterated could this happen?
my salt soap is the best sold among all my formulas, I'm a little desperate!

Wow... YEah this sounds really weird to me. How has the humidity been while you are making these salt bars? Not that it would make any difference... I was just wondering... 

I think your key statement here was "darker" and then you immediately wrote "oil" but you did not write "coconut oil", though I inferred that is what you meant... I'm just guessing, that it's that oil that you are being sold as "coconut oil" that is in fact NOT pure coconut oil but probably some horrible blend of a "little bit" of coconut oil and some other terrible thing that clearly does not like salt... I'm guessing that your vendor is correct in saying HE ISN'T having problems with the new coconut oil because HE isn't USING it... (technically he wouldn't have been lying either.) Still it's puzzling because it is giving you no problems with the other formulations...  I personally don't have much experience in making salt bars, with like actual salt crystals in them. My soaps have been brine the few times that I have made them. Brine will cause glycerin to separate out... So if the new coconut oil has water in it, that might be an issue that I guess could conceivably cause this. Basically if there is water in the coconut oil it is dissolving your salt and that's why you are getting the separation. Ok... SO you could test this theory out by heating some of the coconut oil in a pot like you are going to deep fry food in it and if it foams up and boils or starts to pop and spatter with nothing in it you've got wet coconut oil. That could also be what is causing the color change... 

IF it is wet you might dial your water content back and see if it fixes the problem or not. It would help if you had some pure coconut oil that you could use a fixed measure and weight it and then compare the same measured volume to the new darker coconut oil... But if it's an adulterated oil, that has been adulterated with water, the people behind it will most likely have made the same weight to volume as regular coconut oil... 

Apart from the CO being wet, I haven't got a clue. Let us know what you find out though.   

HTH, 

Sponiebr
The Executor of Bad Ideas and Sundry Services.