Primo Wax Melter

Have anyone tried out the Primo Wax Melters from Waxmelters?

http://www.waxmelters.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=primo&Search.x=12&Search.y=10

We are finally expanding and I have my eyes on the 150lb melter! It looks easy to clean between scents as I look to blend straight in the melter.

They as advertised as faster than the water melter and have a digital temperature control. I'm pretty sure PF Candle Co have one or two in their facility and you can upgrade it with a hose if you expand later

I'm debating about the 150 Primo or a Coogar Melter.

Have anyone had any experience of the Coogars? They have been around for years. The cheaper model seems a bit too fragile without the stainless steel sides...

CS Melter https://coogarproducts.com/melters/cs-melter/ Price $1150

CS Melter Semi Elite https://coogarproducts.com/melters/cs-semi-elite/ Price $1445

VS

Primo 150 http://www.waxmelters.com/PRIMO150-Eco-Melting-Tank-p/primo-150-wax-melter.htm Price $1695

Somehow I have a feeling the Primo is slightly better as the design is newer and also easier to clean as it's round on the inside. But hey, there is also tried and tested.

Anyone have any of these melters and use/used them?

• 3 months later...

Hi Gills,

We bought the Primo150 but we are having problems with it. It takes a long time to melt larger amounts of wax (6 hours!!!) and the last 15lb of wax gets heated unevenly.

We are currently speaking with tech support about it, they claim this is not normal behavior, and are working on a fix.

I can report back if we can fix this if you want a proper review of it. If this can be fixed it seems like a really good melter, if not.. well

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

On 1/7/2019 at 10:07 AM, strugglebrother said:

Hi Gills,

We bought the Primo150 but we are having problems with it. It takes a long time to melt larger amounts of wax (6 hours!!!) and the last 15lb of wax gets heated unevenly.

We are currently speaking with tech support about it, they claim this is not normal behavior, and are working on a fix.

I can report back if we can fix this if you want a proper review of it. If this can be fixed it seems like a really good melter, if not.. well

Interesting! I didn't have a good customer service interaction with waxmelters.com so I ended up purchasing the Coogar CS Semi Elite and eagerly awaiting it's delivery.

Good luck with the Primo issues! Hopefully it's just a simple malfunction.

I'll let you know how it goes with the Coogar.

• Like 1

Yes, I am not having a great time with their customer support right now.

They have weird explanations instead of solutions and are blaming me more than taking my issues and fixing them. If it continues I will report them to BBB. They advertise that their melters will hold an accurate temperature of - + 1 but then now I'm hearing from them that the last 33% of the tank always has to be filled with wax for the machine to work. That is about 50lb of wax in my 150lb melter. Something they withheld from me when I bought that tank. They are still advertising the accuracy so I might have a case against them if it comes to it. 

I should probably have gone with a Coogar... Please let me know how they work.

• 9 months later...
3 hours ago, candleco4w said:

Im looking at the Coogar Semi Elite - Anyone have experience with this one?

I posted some vids on it but have never used it. I wish I had that much production to buy it. Let us know the price when you find out.

• 1 month later...
On 11/7/2019 at 11:11 AM, candleco4w said:

Im looking at the Coogar Semi Elite - Anyone have experience with this one?

@candleco4w I love my Coogar, her name is Mrs. Robinson. I've been using it about a year now and haven't had a single issue with it. It really boosted our production as well as candle quality. 100% recommend!

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, c_gills said:

@candleco4w I love my Coogar, her name is Mrs. Robinson. I've been using it about a year now and haven't had a single issue with it. It really boosted our production as well as candle quality. 100% recommend!

Ok finally someone who has one. Can you please elaborate on how the scent is mixed with this unit and any other things on how it all works.

18 minutes ago, CaptnKush said:

Ok finally someone who has one. Can you please elaborate on how the scent is mixed with this unit and any other things on how it all works.

I mix the fragrance in the pouring pitcher, as advised by Coogar. I'm happy to answer any specific questions! Also the Coogar company were really helpful when I talked to them on the phone before I purchased the unit.

1 hour ago, CaptnKush said:

Oh, you just have the melting pot unit that you empty into a pouring pitcher. I thought you had the automated one that dispenses the fragrance oil into the pouring wand as you are filling jars.

The one you are referring to is the Rolls Royce of candle melters. The Mark VIII. It mixes both fragrance and dye on the spot. My aim is to get one, one day!

The Semi Elite is the one I wished I bought instead of the Primo melter. Coogar seem to have so much better support also.

I would just mix the fragrance in the Semi Elite. Mixing it in the pouring pitcher would take a lot of time if you a doing bigger batches and kind of defeats the purpose of having a huge melter.

I heat up 50 or 100lb of wax in my Primo, then mix the fragrance in the primo and pour away. I clean out the melter for the next batch when done and before the wax hardens.

• 2 weeks later...

I lucked Into getting a coogar wax melter/pumper used... it’s actually the Mark VII but looks exactly like the mark viii. I contacted Justin at coogar and they agreed to give me the training (paid) which i will be doing this Monday.  Justin and the Coogar team have been super great to work with. I was able to talk directly with one of their techs who helped me see if everything worked properly... I had a few issues that I was able to work through and order parts (switch and leaking scent hose).. my hope is it will let me do not only candles and melts, but lotion bars, lotions and who knows what else... 

The kicker? I got it from a fellow soapmaker that and was planning to get into making candles. She had gotten it from her sister in California and when I bought it we both didn’t know if it even worked (other than that it melted)... i paid her $500. Hubby thought i was crazy... not knowing what they really cost. I have since found other eBay listings for $13,000 used... so... if it works the way it should I’d say I took a gamble and won... I’ll report back after i get the hang of it. 

Steve

Edited by Glassfishy
  • Like 2

• 1 year later...
On 12/30/2019 at 11:25 PM, strugglebrother said:

The one you are referring to is the Rolls Royce of candle melters. The Mark VIII. It mixes both fragrance and dye on the spot. My aim is to get one, one day!

The Semi Elite is the one I wished I bought instead of the Primo melter. Coogar seem to have so much better support also.

I would just mix the fragrance in the Semi Elite. Mixing it in the pouring pitcher would take a lot of time if you a doing bigger batches and kind of defeats the purpose of having a huge melter.

I heat up 50 or 100lb of wax in my Primo, then mix the fragrance in the primo and pour away. I clean out the melter for the next batch when done and before the wax hardens.

hey, i have a primo 100 melter and am looking to start mixing fragrance oil directly in the soy wax we use. do you run into issue with cleaning out the fragrance between batches, where the fragrances are mingling between scents? thanks so much. i hope the issues with your melter have been cleared up. 

On 1/14/2021 at 12:07 PM, estoy said:

hey, i have a primo 100 melter and am looking to start mixing fragrance oil directly in the soy wax we use. do you run into issue with cleaning out the fragrance between batches, where the fragrances are mingling between scents? thanks so much. i hope the issues with your melter have been cleared up. 

The issues with the melter persists, it's painfully slow to heat up wax in. It's not the melter they advertise it to be in my opinion. But it works when the wax is melted. 

Anyway, it works fine to blend the fragrance in it. I make sure to wipe it after with paper towels and if I really want to clean it from time to time I tilt it completely on the side and heatgun the sides and then wipe with rubbing alcohol after.

If there is a little left, it will not be enough to scent the next batch. I use dye in it too, works just fine so you should be good. It's a time saver to have it scented in the melter. Good luck!

Just following up on this topic because I am in the market for a melter. Is it correct to say that there are basically a few melters on the market and they are around 1k, but if you want to have a pouring hose that adds fragrance, the price shoots up to over 10k?

Does anyone have experience with the agitator that sits on top of a melter? Any advice on a water-jacketed vs non? Thanks!

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
On 6/20/2021 at 5:41 PM, gls said:

Giving this a bump!   I’m currently looking at purchasing a wax melter and would appreciate any updates you guys might have.  

Bumping it again lol.

I bought the wax melter from wooden wicks.com. It sure is nice looking-all black. It's weird that it has a plastic lid though. It seems to work fine and can hold something like 20-25 lbs of wax. It is very basic though-the temp dial is very vague. It works ok for my purposes but it's nothing too thrilling.