Ultra Noob

DoubleDee

Greetings!  Brand new to this forum and to making candles.  I have never made a candle other than melted crayons  in a can with a piece of string for a wick as a kid.  I hope to soak up lots of knowledge from this forum as I delve into another hobby.   Y'all were recommended by one of the friendly folks over at the SoapMakingForum.   I can only stash so much soap but candles can be enjoyed all day every day.    Lovely wife, mother of my children, keeper of the peace and counter of the coin loves candles and may join me in this endeavor.   I have no supplies and will probably start off with buying a kit of some kind.  

Edited by DoubleDee

Hello @DoubleDee welcome. And yes, lots of candle supply companies offer candle making kits that can get you started. I recommend buying as many of your supplies as possible locally or in states as close to you as possible in order to avoid shipping costs, especially with heavy stuff such as wax and glassware, etc. And wick sample packs are wonderful and should save you money and frustration. Don't forget about your local dollar stores for some of your supplies or tools and Dollar Tree has some nice glasses/jars. There are at least 2 different lists on this site that list a ton of supply companies. Here's the list of suppliers by state. I saw another list of suppliers somewhere but I can't remember where. Have fun & enjoy.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/22/2018 at 11:07 AM, DoubleDee said:

Greetings!  Brand new to this forum and to making candles.  I have never made a candle other than melted crayons  in a can with a piece of string for a wick as a kid.  I hope to soak up lots of knowledge from this forum as I delve into another hobby.   Y'all were recommended by one of the friendly folks over at the SoapMakingForum.   I can only stash so much soap but candles can be enjoyed all day every day.    Lovely wife, mother of my children, keeper of the peace and counter of the coin loves candles and may join me in this endeavor.   I have no supplies and will probably start off with buying a kit of some kind.  

We have so much to share with you.......melted crayons in a can do not even come close to producing a quality candle....but it is one of those experiences that lead you to this forum and hopefully, the true nature and procedure for making a quality candle....

DoubleDee, please tell us what kind of candle you are interested in producing (container or pillar) and we can go from there.  If you are a """"""""soaper"""""""""""""then you will understand the procedures for making a quality product.....whether soap or candles. 

Please tell us what your main interest is, i.e. pillars or containers and we can go from there.........ya know, helping a newbie is really a """high""" that cannot be explained.   :-)