I’m proud of this one

IMG_1710.thumb.jpg.9a950d23509f63c600fdf142c7c937ac.jpg

I’m not proud of the container, it is not my best work, but thanks to all the help and advice I’ve received on this board I made a candle that I would walk into a store and buy.  It took a year and a half and a lot of money to get here, but it was worth it.  I made this with Lebermuth White Tea & Ginger, it is wicked properly and both the cold and hot throw are excellent. It is a testament to what you can achieve through proper testing. I’ve come a long way from “candle making is easy”. A special thanks to the people who keep this board up and running, I couldn’t have done it without you.  

• Like 10
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, kandlekrazy said:

I love the look of that container!  Now you can breathe deep as you have accomplished a safe, well burning candle.

Yes I have, but sadly I must give it away. My daughter wants it, and as she is pregnant with my grandson I probably should let her have it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Forrest said:

Yes I have, but sadly I must give it away. My daughter wants it, and as she is pregnant with my grandson I probably should let her have it.

Yeah good idea make her happy.  You can always make another for yourself anyways.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Trappeur said:

Holy smokes!   Wow, is that ever beautiful Forest!

Do you paint on the outside of that jar?

Love it.

Trappeur

It is alcohol ink, I just apply it to the jar with felt. It looks much better with the wax as a background, so burning the candle sort of ruins the effect. It also come off on your fingers if you are using any lotions with alcohol or having a glass of wine. I haven’t found a good sealer for it, but I like that I can take a paper towel and some rubbing alcohol to wipe it clean and start over.

On 8/16/2018 at 3:54 PM, Forrest said:

I’m not proud of the container, it is not my best work, but thanks to all the help and advice I’ve received on this board I made a candle that I would walk into a store and buy.  It took a year and a half and a lot of money to get here, but it was worth it.  I made this with Lebermuth White Tea & Ginger, it is wicked properly and both the cold and hot throw are excellent. It is a testament to what you can achieve through proper testing. I’ve come a long way from “candle making is easy”. A special thanks to the people who keep this board up and running, I couldn’t have done it without you.  

Wow that looks great!!

• Like 1

On 8/16/2018 at 3:54 PM, Forrest said:

Awesome!!!! You should be proud, That's a really neat looking candle. I love it. Now I want to try it. LOL.

• Like 1

On 8/17/2018 at 8:39 AM, Forrest said:

It is alcohol ink, I just apply it to the jar with felt. It looks much better with the wax as a background, so burning the candle sort of ruins the effect. It also come off on your fingers if you are using any lotions with alcohol or having a glass of wine. I haven’t found a good sealer for it, but I like that I can take a paper towel and some rubbing alcohol to wipe it clean and start over.

So I'm curious. What does the candle look like after it has been burned? What do you mean it ruins the effect? Got any photos of it? This is interesting.

3 hours ago, Laura C said:

So I'm curious. What does the candle look like after it has been burned? What do you mean it ruins the effect? Got any photos of it? This is interesting.

I don't think the heat of the candle changes the ink, but I haven't tested that yet. The ink is somewhat transparent so wax really makes it pop.  Without wax the colors look dull and washed out. I ink the candles after I pour them because you can't tell what they are going to look like with the wax behind them. As they are burning the light from the flame coming through the glass is pretty, but once the wax gets low the part without wax behind it looks dull. I haven’t burned one a home since I got my wicking straight and in the old ones there was so much soot that they looked bad. One thing that concerns me is that chemically speaking there isn’t much difference between wax and alcohol, so I have to be careful not to let the wax touch the ink.  You can get the inks at your local Hobby Lobby for not too much, they are fun to play with, but wear gloves if you don’t want to color your fingers.

• Thanks 1