Salt crystals aren't holding scent, what am I doing wrong?

Krickett

I'm using solar salt from the home improvement store and fragrance oil from RE. I mix 1lb of salt with 10-25% fragrance oil in a Recycle #5 container. I let it sit overnight then I've place it in a dish and also in muslin satchets for the car. Initially putting it in the dish or bowl it smells amazing but in the car, kid's bedrooms or bathroom, I can't smell anything. What am I doing wrong?

Should I be letting the salt air dry once I mix the fragrance oil in on a flat cookie sheet before storing it in the container? I thought this was going to be simple and kind of expected some trial and error with ratios but not the method (wasting fragrance oil is expensive), I don't want to give up just yet.

Also, any recommendations on where I can purchase the bigger salt crystals?

ive only ever added FO and mica to the salts.  They can last for years depending on the choice of fragrances.  Could you have "candle nose" from smelling them fresh?

some of the issue may be similar to candle throw in summer: humidity, air flow with air conditioners, etc.

4 hours ago, TallTayl said:

ive only ever added FO and mica to the salts.  They can last for years depending on the choice of fragrances.  Could you have "candle nose" from smelling them fresh?

some of the issue may be similar to candle throw in summer: humidity, air flow with air conditioners, etc.

I think you’re right about similarity to candle throw in summer, this morning I smelled them just fine in my son’s bedroom when I opened his bedroom door this morning but didn’t smell anything (same scent) in my car this morning. I even tried to use Aztec Black Ice FO in my husband’s car with a 0.25oz/1lb ratio and didn’t get the strong “scent tree”smell I imagined would happen.

On August 16, 2018 at 3:08 PM, TallTayl said:

Those little trees have chemicals added to help the throw. Alcohol can often help with that. Or isopropyl myristate. Anything that can help lift the heavier scent molecules into the air, like with perfumes. 

Thats a great idea! I have some reed diffuser base that's mostly alcohol, I'm going to mix it 50/50 with my FO the next time I make crystals and see how it performs. That makes total sense! I bet I could do that with my decorated blanks too! Thanks TT! ❤️

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/16/2018 at 2:06 PM, Krickett said:

tried to use Aztec Black Ice FO in my husband’s car with a 0.25oz/1lb ratio and didn’t get the strong “scent tree”smell I imagined would happen.

Isn't .25oz. to 1 lb. salt too light on the fragrance oil?  If you follow 4:1 ratio, it would be 4 oz. to 1 lb.  What is recommended for the salt crystals?  Same as aroma beads?

GoldieMN

• Like 1

Well, I searched the forum for recommended ratios of solar salt to fragrance oil.  I was going to follow the 1 to 4 ratio used for aroma beads then realized that would mean 8 ounces of oil to 32 ounces of salt.  Yikes!  If that is what those people charging $20/lb. used, I can see why they charge so much. lol    Anyway, I found four different ratios and decided to try the 10% oil to salt.  Mixed today so we will see how they perform after dry.

I know a few of you made these last year.  Do you have any recommendations as to a good ratio of salt to fragrance oil that worked for you?  Have they caught on with your customers?

GoldieMN

Each fragrance will be different. Generally, if your .25 oz per lb is too light, increase by .25 oz until it seems to saturate the salt. 

I like to send them as gift with orders. A little packet can be packeged well for scented ornaments, car fresheners, etc. makes a nice way to let people sample new scents too. 

17 minutes ago, GoldieMN said:

@TallTayl So 1.55% oil to salt to begin with.  So we don't use anywhere near as much oil with salt as with wax or aroma beads.  Looks like I need to go add more salt to my containers!

GoldieMN

It has been a while since I made any... I add oil until it stays looking a bit damp. Then if after. Few days it looks like it’s too wet, a bit of salt evens it all out. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

In my testing, I'm using the tart warmers without lightbulbs and after the first day of burning, the salt has a slight burnt smell to it.  I notice some of the crystals have turned brown.  Is all this normal?  If not, what am I doing wrong?

GoldieMN

4 hours ago, GoldieMN said:

In my testing, I'm using the tart warmers without lightbulbs and after the first day of burning, the salt has a slight burnt smell to it.  I notice some of the crystals have turned brown.  Is all this normal?  If not, what am I doing wrong?

GoldieMN

Those plate warmers get really, really hot. I would think that your salts and FO are overcooking. Are you cutting the FO with anything?

13 minutes ago, Sarah S said:

Those plate warmers get really, really hot. I would think that your salts and FO are overcooking. Are you cutting the FO with anything?

Not cutting with anything and probably used more oil than I should have; but I added more salt to the mix and the crystals are dry going into warmer.  

GoldieMN

On December 4, 2018 at 8:18 AM, GoldieMN said:

Not cutting with anything and probably used more oil than I should have; but I added more salt to the mix and the crystals are dry going into warmer.  

GoldieMN

I really think the FO is "cooking" on the plate-style warmer. Do you have any DPG? Adding that to the FO at 50/50 might help with that. 

12 hours ago, GoldieMN said:

No, don't have any DPG.  I don't order oils from any of the fragrance retailers who carry it.  Is this something found in local big box or health/beauty stores?

GoldieMN

Sorry Goldie, as far as I know it can't be bought at the average store. Hmmmmm... Maybe a little bit of mineral oil would do? I'm thinking just to stabilize the FO to prevent over heating. But I don't know if that would affect the absorption rate of the salts, or adversely affect the throw. It might be worth a try! I would see if even as little as 10% mineral oil to 90% FO would help.

I think that Cyclo, alcohol, or IPM would be too volatile to work, although if you were using the salts as just potpourri they would help with the cold throw. 

Glycerine, I would be afraid it would attract too much water and you'd end up with soggy crystals.

I am going to keep pondering this! Hopefully someone else has some ideas too!

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

I just found this thread searching for info on how to make these. I've had a bag sitting here for a couple of years and when I tried to move it, it tore. Sooo time to do something with this! I love the look of these crystals. I put in 1 oz of f/o per pound of salt Crystal's. It looks VERY wet. Has anyone had any luck with these on a wax warmer? I want them to be used with the warmers, so not sure what to add or do to make the scent throw without scorching the oil (or starting a fire!)