formula

Good Morning, I was wondering how people store there formulas? Does anyone have /use a good  formula calculator?  What about  excel? I have never used excel but it looks like a great place to store our recipes. thanks in advanced, 

Dlourence

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, dlourence said:

@TallTayl,

can you share the excel spread sheet with a fake formula lol. I've been trying to all day and I can't not figure it out. 

I'm trying to do a recipe/cost pre candle. 

For costing I use a database that I wrote that tracks inventory. The spreadsheet is for the formula and wick types so that I can scale from one candle to 100 easily. It could probably be adopted for cost to. I can look at for it soon to adapt. 

1 minute ago, runner14jc said:

I found www.soapinventory.com not too long ago. It is free and fabulous! You can track inventory. Recipes and it gives you basic cost of a product once you have recipes in. 

I just checked this out, awesome.

Dean Wilson is out of AU is he not? I think he is/was a member here as well. Did a lot of M&P soaps. Nice guy and very 'giving' of his knowledge. (if it's the same Dean Wilson that is)

9 minutes ago, Jcandleattic said:

I just checked this out, awesome.

Dean Wilson is out of AU is he not? I think he is/was a member here as well. Did a lot of M&P soaps. Nice guy and very 'giving' of his knowledge. (if it's the same Dean Wilson that is)

Yes! He is out of AU. I love his videos with soap they have been super helpful so when he launched this new tool I was quick to check it out. It makes things super easy!

• Like 1

I use excel for most of mine, but I have crashed so now they all get put on an external hard drive and a flash drive when changes are made (double protection).  Pen and paper while working and tsf to excel when I have results.

I'm in the process of moving and recently uncovered my very first notebook of candle notes and a buried binder with my B&B recipes from many, many years ago.  When I have time I'm going to read those old notes and get a good laugh (maybe learn something from my younger self).

• Haha 1

On 8/16/2018 at 3:28 PM, runner14jc said:

I found www.soapinventory.com not too long ago. It is free and fabulous! You can track inventory. Recipes and it gives you basic cost of a product once you have recipes in. 

That looks very interesting and helpful, I will have to try it out. Thanks so much for sharing this information.

• Like 2

On 8/15/2018 at 9:05 AM, dlourence said:

Good Morning, I was wondering how people store there formulas? Does anyone have /use a good  formula calculator?  What about  excel? I have never used excel but it looks like a great place to store our recipes. thanks in advanced, 

Dlourence

Hello all.

I came across this treasure trove today at The Flaming Candle and wanted to share. You will need Microsoft Excel to use the spreadsheets. They look like they will be very useful and time saving tools and they're Free.

CANDLE MAKING CALCULATORS

http://www.theflamingcandle.com/candle-making-calculators

their calculator spreadsheets cover these topics:

How many candles can I make

How much wax do I need

How to calculate fragrance load

How much fragrance oil should I use

Edited by Laura C
  • Like 1

On 8/16/2018 at 1:28 PM, runner14jc said:

I signed up for this last Thursday and still haven't heard back for approval - and can't get in without it. Do you know how frequent he approves new people? No biggie, as I said I have spreadsheets and my SM3, but I like having ALL THE GADGETS! LOL 

16 hours ago, Jcandleattic said:

I signed up for this last Thursday and still haven't heard back for approval - and can't get in without it. Do you know how frequent he approves new people? No biggie, as I said I have spreadsheets and my SM3, but I like having ALL THE GADGETS! LOL 

I think it took 2-3 weeks for me to hear back and get access when I signed up.

• 11 months later...