Reformulated EcoSoya Pillar Blend

31 minutes ago, Laura C said:

If you don't mind me asking, which liquid dyes do you use and do they have a strong terrible odor?

I ordered some liquid dyes from Aztec and made a few melts with them but I can't stand the smell of the dye while I'm using it. It's horrible and like mothballs, it's really strong and repugnant. I did use a mask but I think I will get a better one, LOL.

Someone on here said the EVO liquid dyes from Candle Wic are odorless or have very little odor. I hope I'm repeating this correctly. I may order some of those and try them but honestly I make a mess with liquid dyes. :blink:

I have a few from Candle Science, Rustic and white I finally found from AAA but most of the go to ones are from Candlewic. I agree about the smell some of them especially the Rustic are really bad. I got the Candlewic variety pack and I love having all the colors but I wish they used a dropper, they have been quite messy. 

792405111_PhotoFeb20110804PM.jpg.604f8e23ec7f8acd00fed619069979cf.jpg1762665287_PhotoFeb20110935PM.jpg.39cf13a414e05ad54dfb30ffd16efe0e.jpg

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, aptommo said:

I got the Candlewic variety pack and I love having all the colors but I wish they used a dropper, they have been quite messy. 

1762665287_PhotoFeb20110935PM.jpg.39cf13a414e05ad54dfb30ffd16efe0e.jpg

Awh, so you have the EVO liquid dyes from Candle Wic. Are they odorless or at least easily tolerable to smell?

I see from this pic what you mean about that type of bottle being messy. That's a shame. At least the ones from Aztec do have an easy to use twist open pour spout. Could you pop out that disc that has the hole in it and put a pour spout lid on it?

9 hours ago, Laura C said:

Awh, so you have the EVO liquid dyes from Candle Wic. Are they odorless or at least easily tolerable to smell?

I see from this pic what you mean about that type of bottle being messy. That's a shame. At least the ones from Aztec do have an easy to use twist open pour spout. Could you pop out that disc that has the hole in it and put a pour spout lid on it?

Oh maybe I could I don't know! Yes they have very little odor if any at all. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, aptommo said:

Oh maybe I could I don't know! Yes they have very little odor if any at all. 

Thanks so much for the response. Since several of you have recommended those dyes and say the odor isn't bad, I will probably order a few of them this week to test out. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Laura C said:

Finally got around to making some clam shell melts with EcoSoya PB Pillar Blend Soy Wax and I'm liking it so far. I'm now waiting for them to cure several days before testing them in the warmers.

- I did one with only FO and poured at 150. The wax is ivory so I can't see any frosting if it's there and it only had a very slight sinkhole in the middle of the mold, not enough to do a 2nd pour.

- The other one had FO and dye block and poured at 140 which was too cool for me because the wax in the corners of the mold are a little puffy and rounded. It had just a few small spots with some faint frosting and also had the slight sinkhole in the center. Regardless, it looks fine to me.

- The cold throw is really good so far with both of them and they both have 8% FO using My Dear Watson from The Candle Makers Store.

- Both were heated to around 200 and FO added at 190.

I've noticed they feel gritty when I lightly run my hand across them. It can't be the dye block since the one w/o dye feels the same way. I don't think they cooled too slow because I had the A/C blowing in the kitchen and I could feel the draft over the clam shells. I was afraid they were going to cool too fast and crack or something. So I'm wondering if it is the FO, the FO % or just a trait of the EcoSoya PB wax?

Has anybody else experienced gritty melts with this wax?

I haven't noticed any type of gritty either. I also use liquid dyes, mostly from BC and Candle Science. I might pour a little hotter than you though.

• Thanks 1

On ‎2‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 9:33 PM, Laura C said:

I may order some of those and try them but honestly I make a mess with liquid dyes. :blink:

Come see my workshop floor.  LOL.  Dropped a bottle of brown liquid dye years ago, and trying to wipe it up just smeared it worse.  If we ever have to sell, I cringe thinking about having to explain that one.  Then one of my assistants spilled green all over the place just a few months later.  I'm still finding hidden spots of that.  :lol: 

I order clear glass droppers and keep those on hand to use with liquid dyes if they don't automatically come with droppers. 

Edited by Crafty1_AJ
clarification
  • Haha 1

I ordered a 5 lb bag of the PB from Aztec, heated to 195 added color block shavings around 190 and FO at 185 poured into clamshells at 170 and 160 and a few at 150. Got frosting on the bottom of all. but more so on the the 150-160. Also got dimples on all.  Did 100% PB 1lb and 1oz fragrance.  Should I try blending my wax or pour a little hotter?  I have c-3 and 464. 

Thank you! Michelle

Edited by Ak Wolf

1 minute ago, Ak Wolf said:

I ordered a 5 lb bag of the PB from Aztec, heated to 195 added color block shavings around 190 and FO at 185 poured into clamshells at 170 and 160 and a few at 150. Got frosting on all but more so on the the 150-160. Also got dimples on all.  Did 100% PB 1lb and 1oz fragrance.  

I haven't seen a lot of the frosting others have with this but the dimples do seem to be unavoidable with any soy I've used.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ak Wolf said:

I ordered a 5 lb bag of the PB from Aztec, heated to 195 added color block shavings around 190 and FO at 185 poured into clamshells at 170 and 160 and a few at 150. Got frosting on the bottom of all. but more so on the the 150-160. Also got dimples on all.  Did 100% PB 1lb and 1oz fragrance.  Should I try blending my wax or pour a little hotter?  I have c-3 and 464. 

Thank you! Michelle

When using EcoSoya PB I have basically done the same process as you and used the same temps and poured into clam shells and I do have various degrees of frosting, not really terrible. The tops have been smooth and only slightly dipped in the center. Is that what you mean by dimples? I have been using 8% FO and I poured a dark green one at 140 and had very little frosting. Of course on the clam shells without dye or in pale colors you can't see the frosting. I will probably do some more tests and add some paraffin wax to see what happens.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Laura C said:

When using EcoSoya PB I have basically done the same process as you and used the same temps and poured into clam shells and I do have various degrees of frosting, not really terrible. The tops have been smooth and only slightly dipped in the center. Is that what you mean by dimples? I have been using 8% FO and I poured a dark green one at 140 and had very little frosting. Of course on the clam shells without dye or in pale colors you can't see the frosting. I will probably do some more tests and add some paraffin wax to see what happens.

Yes, my tops have been smooth dipping in the center. I will play around some more this weekend with temps and also try adding some of my other soy.  

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

As an update...i did pour my clamshells more full and the dips seem very minor if at all.  i do get a little frost on some of the bottom edges. i made other melts/tarts and they turned out great.  I am debating on switching to liquid dye too make my coloring a little more consistent compared to dye blocks.