Starting Over

NYCole

After having a partnership for a few years I am venturing out on my own and revamping.  It was an amicable split, I did not want to lose a friendship so I am going in a completely different direction to avoid any conflict and I was tired of dealing with the soy issues.  I have a decent stock of soy candles to get me through the testing faze of Glass Glow (will get me through the fall/Christmas season) but I will basically be starting a small business with Glass Glow candles while also winding down the partnership with the soy candles.  Why do I feel like I am going through a divorce ROFL?

Without going into gory details, my partner just didn't have the time (kids, an overbearing husband who resented the time spent making candles and attending shows).  This is a very good friend and I do not want to damage the friendship so have decided to change my direction completely.  Starting over with a new wax, new jars and presentation and I've made what I think is a huge decision to not do the shows and fairs any longer.  They take so much out of me as I rarely had any help.  I do supply two small stores and have a small following of coworkers, friends and family.  I also had a soapmaker recently approach me about supplying a small amount of candles wholesale to go with her soaps.

Any advice?  Why am I scared?

It feels like your going through a divorce because you are going through a divorce...... been there and I can totally relate, it is a very devastating feeling

Starting over is scary but it will be so rewarding for you- take this opportunity to use your vision of what you want the business to be and run with it.  You have no limitations now, as scared as you are right now once you start testing your new product and work on your new branding you will start to feel a sense of closure and excitement in your  new venture-  you got this!

• Like 1

You've got this!  You are scared because although you did the majority of the work you had someone to fall back on and bounce ideas off of.  It's scary when you suddenly don't.  Phasing out is good it gives you both adjustment time while you test your new line.  I absolutely love glass glow candles.  Hang in there pretty soon you'll forget all about what you were afraid of.

• Like 1

OMG. You ladies made me cry. How did you know exactly what to say?  I am out in my workshop right now, basically cleaning house. I am cleaning and organizing every nook and cranny and making it mine.  It is actually soul cleansing.

All is looking up already. I learned so much the first time around and learned from my mistakes. I know where I want to go and I can do it. If I need help with anything it looks like I came to the right place!

The good news is knowing you are not starting out blind and not knowing how to project your business or brand as you DO know how it works.    And guess what...it is all YOUR baby!  Being that you were best friends, I'm sure you had to deal with her pressures and worried for her which put pressure upon yourself.   Well, now you don't!

Partnerships can be very hazardous on your health.    I would never ever work with someone...I started one time years ago going in with a best friend on a venture..it wasn't candles but another type business.....and it caused friction, needless friction and we went our own separate ways.    And I missed our friendship, but it literally split us apart.   Now 30 years later I found her on facebook and we reached out to one another and actually never even brought up what happened between us and although we have our own lives, it feels good to be able to talk to one another.    So I think it is a wonderful step you have taken before it could get so bad to the point that you lose your friendship and that is not a good feeling.     Starting over will give you an incentive.  It's like your starting over a new chapter in your life and yes, just like going through a divorce.  So go clean and organize your workshop and organize the way YOU want it done as it is all yours now and get ready for the next chapter...you can do it.   Like you said it is a soul cleansing.  And by by way.....I think you have handled this beautifully and decided to part ways....It may be tough at first, but in the long run, it was the wisest and smartest choice....and you still have your friendship...

Trappeur

Edited by Trappeur
  • Like 1

Thank you so much Trappeur your words mean a lot.  I debated long and hard about what to do, it really was heart wrenching.  I am doing what I feel is best and if anyone doesn't like it, poo on them.

I am having so much fun rebranding and looking for new scents.  I'm only keeping a few from the soy line.  Since I need to test everything anyway, I figure fresh start.  Except for 3 that were best sellers in soy, hoping they are as good in palm.  I even set up all new books and had fun.  Who the heck has fun doing paperwork?

And too....the few scents that are good sellers from your partnership you could always still use that fragrance with the name you had but you are now offering in your new wax....or just rename that scent.  With my wholesale/store accounts there are staple fragrances that are proven sellers for all these years and I rename them so each store has their own exclusive on that scent and no one is mad....But I won't give up these scents.

Trappeur

It's paperwork day for me, and it sucks!  I'm in here now trying to rest my mind.

For 8 years we had a partner for a subsection of our main business.  The partner bailed at the beginning of this season for financial reasons.  It was scary.  So much of the ins and outs of that biz had been handled by the partner, and we had some things to figure out.  When our season began, we had a couple of kinks to work out, but we hit our stride about 2 weeks in, and it's been smooth sailing since.  What I learned was that the anticipation of the split was harder than the actual split.  Once we just got started, we were good.

I bet it's the same way for you.  Good luck in your new business venture.  Here's wishing you much success and a lot of fun along the way!