Starting a new adventure with Palm Wax

I've made and sold soy wax candles for a few years, but have grown tired of the problems.  After researching waxes for a few months and bouncing between trying coconut and palm wax I've decided to give Glass Glow a try.  Today is Day One of my fresh start.  Its been a few years since I have done the hard core testing so I need any hints or tips anyone is willing to share, especially any specific to Glass Glow.  Right now this is my plan:

Today I am pouring three candles using Glass Glow, three different wicks, no FO or color.  Heating to 210, pouring at 200 and letting them cure until next Saturday before test burning.  After reading through the forum, I will be cooling on a rack and trying the flip method to avoid air bubbles.  I'll be using 16 oz Salsa jars and Eco wicks.  I did read on the forum that CSNs and RRDs are preferred but I have the Ecos on hand and Lonestar, where I ordered the wax, does not carry them and I hate to order just wicks and pay shipping from another shop.  If they are a complete flop, I will order new wicks.

Am I missing anything, like I said its been a few years since I tested soy for the first time.  Of course I've always tested new oils and spot tested candles along the way, but I am starting from scratch again.

I am not super experienced in glass glow but I can tell you this.... what a nice change from soy!

This stuff is amazing to work with and not having to wait for cool pour temperatures is fabulous-  the flip took me a few times to know exactly when to flip but that is how we learn....making mistakes that include palm wax leakage all over the place- LOL  

I use CSN and RRD wicks, never tried the Eco with it but with palm I never let it cure more than 48 hours before lighting it up, I have not noticed any significant burn changes either unlike the soy waxes

Candybee is a palm expert so hopefully she chimes in for some tips and you can search some of her threads for some invaluable advice-  JCcandle is also a palm user I believe with extensive knowledge 

• Like 1

It has been a while but Jcandleattic if i remember correctly told me that for wick testing  3 days was the soonest they would test burn and when doing scented & dyed testing they waited 5-7 days to test.  Mainly due to the fact that the since the wax crystallizes it takes a while for the wax to fully crystallize.  The outside could look fine but part way down in the wax the wax may not have fully crystallized which affects how it might burn part way through the candle.  The 5-7 days is to allow time for the scent to fully incorporate into the wax as well as harden 

From everything i have read online since starting to use this wax it seems that it is the middle ground between paraffin and soy.  It takes longer curing than paraffin but shorter than soy.

Like moonshine said tho @Candybee and @Jcandleattic are both really knowledgeable in this wax.

• Like 1

I get little to know throw unless I cure for at least a week.  Maybe my results are environmental, or maybe it's my FO's, I don't know.  Initially I thought I didn't care for palm because I wasn't getting the HT I kept hearing about.  Finally I realized I just have to be more patient.  Otherwise, I just love palm wax.  Beautiful candles every single time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I will do 7 days for scented/dyed candles and I'll do 4 days for wick testing.  That's a good compromise.

I poured the first candles and I love the texture of this wax!  Everything went well except my wicks let loose and I had to reattach them.  Guess I need to get stickums that can handle the heat of palm 😂.

First test done.  I poured wick test candles (no fo, no dye) on Saturday and tested last night.

The good - absolutely adore this wax, love the texture when measuring into my presto, love the way it melted, the crystals formed are absolutely stunning and I loved the way it burned, crystal clear!

The bad - Eco wicks were a bust!  So after more research and reading on this forum I have ordered CSNs and RRDs.  Which is what I should have done in the first place.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/4/2018 at 2:58 PM, NYCole said:

The actual stickum came loose. I’ve never had that happen. But it was a new pack so I guess it’s possible I got a bad batch. 

Where did you buy your stickums from?   That would make me very nervous.

Trappeur

51 minutes ago, Trappeur said:

Where did you buy your stickums from?   That would make me very nervous.

Trappeur

I can't be 100% because I order from a few places and stickums are something I just usually throw in my cart wherever I am ordering, but I think Flaming Candle.

Since I will be repouring candles when I get the CSN wicks, I am going to use the new pack I got from Lonestar last week.