Further adventures in beeswax

MrDan

So Prime Day rolled around and I ignored it until pretty much Zero-hour. When I decided to look I was able to find my Presto Pot for $25! Score!

Well, where I live must be some kind of geographical oddity, because UPS ends up losing every 3rd or 3th package I’m supposed to get from Amazon. Amazon always picks up the tab for this, which amounts to a $10 credit for me. While I was deciding what to use my credit on I noticed one of the suggestions for me was one of those little silicone owl molds for soaps, candies, candles. 2 for $10; it was like a sign!

Skip ahead a couple days (the molds made it on time somehow), and I’m pouring paraffin in them. They come out ok, but always frosty. I’m varying temps and all sorts of candle fun. 

Then I decided to vary the wax. Beeswax is the way to go for these little guys!

B8E9310E-C679-443D-A7D1-53BD8FF2C660.jpeg

• Like 5

36 minutes ago, TallTayl said:

Beeswax is fun when you get the hang of it. They will “bloom” over time, developing a powdery finish. This is totally normal. It’s like frosting is to soy. 

Ive worked with beeswax once before, when I first started making candles. I enjoy it for the most part; the cost and the smell end up being too much for my tastes. I enjoy the slightly sweet smell of the beeswax when I’m burning a candle or if they’re just sitting there, but when you’re melting it, whoo, that smell starts wearing on you! 

I’ve never noticed a bloom on any of my beeswax before, but that’s because my inlaws go crazy whenever I use it, and then I have no candles left!

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, Hopie said:

Cuuuuuuuute! Love the baby owls! They look really good...like...they're all...staring, heehee! I've never worked with beeswax, I like the smooth, creamy look of it though.

Since I took this picture their numbers have doubled!

Beeswax is ok to work with. My only gripe is that the smell can get overpowering when you’re standing over that pouring pot. It’s not that it’s a bad smell, it’s just a really sweet, intense smell that’s just a little too heavy for this hot weather we’ve been having. I’ll probably like it more come winter time, lol

Hahaha! Overrun with cute owls, are ya'? Yes, stronger scents tend to magnify in hot weather. I've never worked with beeswax, so I don't know this scent. So, I guess you don't add scent to these?