Nature Wax C-6

Jenni Wix

List of questions I have, be it in further testing or research.  

Do premiere wicks tend to curl (is it because I'm over or under wicked, or is there any hope for them in this wax)?

What makes wicks curl, and how to prevent it ( i keep looking into it but don't seem to get it yet)  It's really annoying as it off centers the melt pool, creating hang up on one side, too much heat on the other.

Will tweaking the Eco sizes (or cD if an in between size might work) help?  

Do CD curl?  

Edited by Jenni Wix
it instead of in

• 2 months later...

I recently mentioned a problem with curling wicks off centering the MP. Well, I looked up Wick curling here on CS the other day, and saw an older post where someone said that if you can see the ^ where it's braided, the wick curls in that direction, as opposed to the v shape on the other side. I tried and tired again to find it earlier, but I couldn't for the life of me.  So I decided to just give it a go without rereading it.  

I did it with two bare wicks and it was accurate.  So I placed some wicks I'm testing out in jars a bit off center from the direction the ^ is facing, in hops to correct the centering if the melt pool.  Crossing my fingers.  

This might be common knowledge, but I was so frustrated with curling, and essentially finding that most wicks are made to curl.  Except for zinc (still wondering about cotton core) .  Please correct me if I'm wrong, or if anyone knows of others that aren't designed to curl.  But now that I know that it's part of the deal, and how to look for it in Ecos at least, it gives me a little hope for my jars.  Premieres, I can't tell the direction of the curl (see the v's) at all in advance, so probably won't use in these.  I'm hoping the ecos do ok.  If not, trying CDs/CDNs.  

I'm basing my wick choices on C3 because, although it's a different wax, C6 is not closer to a plain coconut, I thought I'd need to wick down during my last tests, and ended up pretty underwicked.  It's got soy, and palm additives (probably), and I'm suspicious that it burns somewhat similarly.  

Well, my plain Eco tests yesterday seemed fine at first, until the second burn in 16oz SSJ  with ECO 14 smoked a bunch.  The Eco 8 with 8 oz SSJ jar did a bit better, but was also dancing a lot,even with wicks well trimmed.  Not necessarily giving up on Eco, just n it likely to use the 14 (or 12 I've heard gives a deeper than wide MP) in that application.  The off centering for curl didn't seem to help much at first, but the shape and depth of the MP was pretty good.  I realized for Premiers and other curling wicks where you change see the braid, you could tell the curl direction by lighting it, marking the side and trimming the burnt part off before setting the wicks.  Just ideas.  

I need to be patient about testing these wicks, I don't think I waited pond enough on the last burns, so I'll give them at least a week.  (24 hour cure my foot 😄).  

I want to try CDN and LX.  Not sure that HTP would be all that different from CDs or CDN.  I need to get a decent melt pool and not go too hot. 

I'm a little frustrated.  I think it's just the nature of a coconut blend.   So, naturally I'm thinking of adding other stuff.  😌😌😌

Ugh.  

I recently started to make candles in general. Don’t know much about other waxes but I can tell you my experience with this one. I never had to do a double pour for these candles, never had any wick issues and I’m using Premier/Eco in my 8oz glass jars. I just made these today to test the F/O out (I used my old Glade candle jars to test instead of my stash) All of my candles so far have had F/O used in them never had any discoloration, No spots/holes.. I just have to master the F/O adding portion but other than that. I love it. 

• I’ve also read that the F/O load is 6-12%

• Amazing Hot/Cold Throw

F201976B-0F74-43C6-A7D7-C078B228F1B8.jpeg

F54DE93E-026E-4695-AB75-652339401926.jpeg

F266D1C2-4D85-4D66-8991-D5C43BF35393.jpeg

588DDC3F-0391-4ACE-A01B-10BD5EF52B17.jpeg

• Like 2

Nice, @LolaDaBrat!  Thanks for sharing.  I'm having some wicking issues but I'm glad the Ecos are working for you!  I agree that it sets up so nicely.  No craters, and mostly smooth tops.  I got the 6% FO load from the manufacturer, with more possible with additives, but I haven't tried any higher percentages to know the effects.  6 is throwing well for me, but it could be nicer to add more if a particular fragrance needed it.  My Ecos have been sometimes too hot or tunneling. But I'm not throwing in the towel yet.  I feel like a container with a lip like your apothecary jar above could really help the burn even out a bit 

• Like 3

Thank You @Jenni Wix I’m not a pro but what size wick are you using for your ECO? If I’m not mistaken I had a 6. From the company I ordered it said 6-10% F/L but everyone else says 6-12%. Ehh crap is so confusing at times. I’m literally just playing with numbers at this point. My only issue is 1st Candle I cured for 3 days, PERFECT. Made another batch measurements was low for F/O but after a few days of curing it came out okay. Not to my liking though. I prefer the Premiers though. Nice and clean, No harsh/burnt smell (I don’t know what that’s called in candle terms lol). We can get this wax down pact together! 

• Like 1

How is the melt pool depth with those, @LanaH?  I've got plenty of wicks I'm trying, but no RRDs.  In my first pan burn test almost all were a little too deep for my liking.  I was trying to wick down also, and the smaller ones were still deep, while being too narrow.  I'll post those when I'm done with the second burn this evening.

Edited by Jenni Wix
Clarify type of test

1 hour ago, Jenni Wix said:

How is the melt pool depth with those, @LanaH?  I've got plenty of wicks I'm trying, but no RRDs.  In my first pan burn test almost all were a little too deep for my liking.  I was trying to wick down also, and the smaller ones were still deep, while being too narrow.  I'll post those when I'm done with the second burn this evening.

They were a good 1/4 inch with a full melt pool. The 37 has some hang up but may catch up, we'll see.

• Like 1

C6 Wax Pan test

Testing for 2-2.5 inch jars, (quilted kerr specifically).

Tried to wick down.  It showed.  

Prodding for craters sink holes revealed none.

Each burn was 3 hours long.  Forgot to photograph 2 burn in process, went just like the first.  Both burns consumed apx 1/4 - 1/2" wax (depth).  Melt pools remained apx 1/4 to 1/2 inch as well. 

Trimmed wicks for second burn, only LX had slight mushroom. 

Eco and CD smoked a bit during second burn.  

All in all LX was slightly less deep, while being on the wide side.  It was my favorite outcome for this test.  Tiny mushroom didn't cause any problems.

IMG_20181218_213454.jpg

IMG_20181218_213613.jpg

IMG_20181218_213743.jpg

IMG_20181218_213918.jpg

IMG_20181218_214147.jpg

IMG_20181218_214955.jpg

IMG_20181218_215141.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So my wicks started tunneling, I’m swapping between 8oz/10oz Jars about 3-3 1/2 diameter... So far Premier 760 is the best one. This is melt pool about 3 hours in. Better than the rest of my tests. Also I’m trying different FO loads which this one has 12% in it, came out smoothly. 3 Day cure HT isn’t as potent as I’ll like it to be. May have to let it sit for a week. Made a 10% one with different oil (Strawberry & Champagne) and it came out lumpy haha. Thinking I’m going to start with 6% FO load and let it cure for a week and see how it goes. Just wanted to test the max since there’s no info about this. All the sites say something different. Extremely annoying but I’m  Wishing you luck on your progress! 

EA034B91-68F5-48EF-9351-E27C133C99C4.jpeg

Edited by LolaDaBrat
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...