Nature Wax C-6

Jenni Wix

5 hours ago, NightLight said:

I love the idea of this wax but disappointed that my test candles frosted on top and this only took a month. After burn not as smooth as I would like - I want smooth! Easy to use though.

I had the same problem. Was so hoping it wouldn't frost as bad as the C3, but it's just as bad, if not worse.

• 4 weeks later...

I ordered some C-6 recently and just poured a day ago. I'm using wood wicks (1/2" booster 0.04") and 8% FO. I'm going to test one at 24 hours and then the two others after a few days/week. I heated to around 190 and poured around 135-140. The tops weren't super smooth but weren't terrible either. I used to pour my custom blended 464/CW wax at a much higher temp (around 165) and got very smooth tops but since I wasn't sure how much coconut the C-6 has I opted to pour cooler. My main concern was the wax seemed softer than I would have expected after pouring and setting up overnight. My house is around 68-70F. I worry what it might be like in the summer. If this test comes out OK in terms of HT then I will experiment with pouring temps to see if that makes the tops better. I'm not sure what to think/do about the softness though....and, it's weird bc the wax out of the bag was fairly hard and a bit brittle. I really hope this will work because TFC is within driving distance and this is the only coconut wax they carry.

• Like 1

For a one pour coconut wax it’s not bad.it does frost. Did test candles and let sit and in on month tops were frosted and I hate that.

if you patience you could see if adding additives could improve. It’s not bad for pouring quick candles at home and using. Selling not sure of due to the frosting. Some people don’t care others wonder what the heck is going on with candle as you know many people are bath and body works brainwashed.

• Like 1

I personally don't care about frosting. I don't dye my candles so I think that makes it less noticeable in general but I'' have to take that into account.

I lit one of these a few hours ago and the HT is very strong. It did look like it might be tunneling so I just lit another one and took it upstairs to see about the scent and possible tunneling. But the HT...wow.

• Like 1

On 2/3/2019 at 11:30 AM, Peggy T said:

I ordered some C-6 recently and just poured a day ago. I'm using wood wicks (1/2" booster 0.04") and 8% FO. I'm going to test one at 24 hours and then the two others after a few days/week. I heated to around 190 and poured around 135-140. The tops weren't super smooth but weren't terrible either. I used to pour my custom blended 464/CW wax at a much higher temp (around 165) and got very smooth tops but since I wasn't sure how much coconut the C-6 has I opted to pour cooler. My main concern was the wax seemed softer than I would have expected after pouring and setting up overnight. My house is around 68-70F. I worry what it might be like in the summer. If this test comes out OK in terms of HT then I will experiment with pouring temps to see if that makes the tops better. I'm not sure what to think/do about the softness though....and, it's weird bc the wax out of the bag was fairly hard and a bit brittle. I really hope this will work because TFC is within driving distance and this is the only coconut wax they carry.

Peggy...Have you had a chance to test the C-6 from TFC any more?  We ordered a 10 pound pack to test ourselves.  We were a bit concerned when the representative told us it would have a softer texture than what we received because like you...ours was hard and brittle.

We've made a few jars and are finding it very difficult to get smooth tops...even after repeated attempts with the heat gun.  Not sure how to fix that.  I'm thinking we may be pouring too soon, but thought after repeated attempts with the heat gun it would fix itself, but it's still a struggle.

Edited by AdorationCandles
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, AdorationCandles said:

Peggy...Have you had a chance to test the C-6 from TFC any more?  We ordered a 10 pound pack to test ourselves.  We were a bit concerned when the representative told us it would have a softer texture than what we received because like you...ours was hard and brittle.

We've made a few jars and are finding it very difficult to get smooth tops...even after repeated attempts with the heat gun.  Not sure how to fix that.  I'm thinking we may be pouring too soon, but thought after repeated attempts with the heat gun it would fix itself, but it's still a struggle.

I am pouring some more today. I'm going to try three full jars (12 oz capacity) with three different scents. Maybe I can try diff pouring temps too. Will let you know. I REALLY REALLY want to find a way to make this work. The hot throw was so much better than 464 and I can easily drive to pick it up. Crossing my fingers.....

10 minutes ago, Peggy T said:

I am pouring some more today. I'm going to try three full jars (12 oz capacity) with three different scents. Maybe I can try diff pouring temps too. Will let you know. I REALLY REALLY want to find a way to make this work. The hot throw was so much better than 464 and I can easily drive to pick it up. Crossing my fingers.....

We really want it to work as well!  Although we don't have the luxury of picking it up, it is less expensive than the wax we were using before and seems to be more readily available.  If we can just get those tops smooth, they will have us as their newest customers!  Thank you for responding to our post!  🙂

On 12/7/2018 at 8:22 AM, Jenni Wix said:

I recently mentioned a problem with curling wicks off centering the MP. Well, I looked up Wick curling here on CS the other day, and saw an older post where someone said that if you can see the ^ where it's braided, the wick curls in that direction, as opposed to the v shape on the other side. I tried and tired again to find it earlier, but I couldn't for the life of me.  So I decided to just give it a go without rereading it.  

I did it with two bare wicks and it was accurate.  So I placed some wicks I'm testing out in jars a bit off center from the direction the ^ is facing, in hops to correct the centering if the melt pool.  Crossing my fingers.  

This might be common knowledge, but I was so frustrated with curling, and essentially finding that most wicks are made to curl.  Except for zinc (still wondering about cotton core) .  Please correct me if I'm wrong, or if anyone knows of others that aren't designed to curl.  But now that I know that it's part of the deal, and how to look for it in Ecos at least, it gives me a little hope for my jars.  Premieres, I can't tell the direction of the curl (see the v's) at all in advance, so probably won't use in these.  I'm hoping the ecos do ok.  If not, trying CDs/CDNs.  

I'm basing my wick choices on C3 because, although it's a different wax, C6 is not closer to a plain coconut, I thought I'd need to wick down during my last tests, and ended up pretty underwicked.  It's got soy, and palm additives (probably), and I'm suspicious that it burns somewhat similarly.  

I have burned hundreds of candles with RRD's, and they don't curl nearly as much as most other wicks, IME.  They are cotton core and much more rigid than, for example, braided wick.  And as you say, zinc core don't curl.  Wicks that curl too much are my pet peeve.  LOL.  I do use braided wick sometimes in my pillars, but I'm never happy with that curl off-setting my usually-well-centered melt pool.  :P  I'm always moving the burning wick over to center with a wick dipper for a more even burn.   I'm a fussy pants that way.  :blush: 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 2/3/2019 at 9:30 AM, Peggy T said:

I imagine the C6 could get pretty slushy in hot summer temps.  It might be a good choice for cooler climates.

On 2/6/2019 at 12:00 PM, AdorationCandles said:

Sorry you got a funky batch that was brittle.  😕  I would wonder if it was a mix up because the big 50 or 60 lb box I got has been pretty soft and sets up smoothly.   

• 4 months later...

I want to thank you girls so much for the insight. I really want to try this wax but it is so expensive that I wanted to make sure it was worth the cost. My only problem with 464 is I occasionally have wet spots which I hate. I rarely have to reheat tops. I think for now I will stick with 464. I am very new to the game and only make for family and friends but you guys helped me so much.