Scented Salt Crystals...Is the glycerin necessary?

Krickett

Newbie here with a question. I’ve read varying recipes for the scented salt crystals and have not been able to find any info on the validity/need of glycerin to be added for the rocks to hold the scent. Sometimes, in certain temperatures and environments, glycerin tends to make things constantly feel wet. 

Any my advice or opinions on this?

everything i read online while looking pu how to make these stated  that you could add it to help the dye work better in the crystals as well as to supposedly help slow the oil evaporation rate.  sadly without doing a small scale test using the same scent and dye with and without the glycerin it is all just a big unknown on if it will actually work.

Thanks! 

@TallTayl It’d be nice to not have to use it budget-wise. Any extra penny saved is a penny earned.

@ncraiders I definitely plan to try both and see what happens. My plan is to trial:

Salt, mica, fragrance oil

Salt, mica, glycerin, fragrance oil

Salt, liquid candle dye, fragrance oil

Salt, liquid candle dye, glycerin, fragrance oil

I’ll definitely come back to this post and report back.

• Like 2

Just now, Krickett said:

Thanks! 

@TallTayl It’d be nice to not have to use it budget-wise. Any extra penny saved is a penny earned.

@ncraiders I definitely plan to try both and see what happens. My plan is to trial:

Salt, mica, fragrance oil

Salt, mica, glycerin, fragrance oil

Salt, liquid candle dye, fragrance oil

Salt, liquid candle dye, glycerin, fragrance oil

I’ll definitely come back to this post and report back.

looking forward to the report.  the things i read on several sites about adding glycerin stated 0.25 oz per pound of salt.  Can't wait to hear what the difference is in using mica and liquid dyes.

• Like 1

I use liquid dye and it comes out beautiful. I have almost a gallon of vegetable glycerin because we used to vape. I used to make my own ejyice lol was wondering what to do with the glycerin. It's pretty cheap. I got 1 gallon shipped for $25 total last year. Don't know the prices right now buy Essential Depot is where I ordered from.i will have to try it. 

• Like 1

I did notice on the sites that listed using glycerin that they also mentioned adding DPG i think it was as well as the glycerin. to better coat the salt with the dye and to slow the oil evaporation from the salt.  Glycerin was 1 teaspoon and the DPG was 0.25 oz pp suggested.  I was wrong in my previous posting of a 0.25 oz of glycerin pp.

• Like 1