Dust covers I would love to find

I would love to have some dust covers made like these of course not this design but my own.

I never make candles without a lid but I have been looking at a few style jars that don't come with lids (hate that) and I was wondering if anyone has any experience just using a dust cover.  I hate those clear plastic ones.  Lids definitely hold in the scent and I'm wondering if a dust cover like this would hold in the scent?  Also I'm worried that people when viewing a candle with a cover such as this are going to try and peel up the edge of the cover to sniff?  In that case trying to lift up the edge to smell you now encounter fingernails scraped into the top of wax and the candle starting to look shabby or the covers now becoming bent and looking ugly.   One thing for sure is you better be pretty accurate and get your wick dead center to fit into the hole!   Now I have seen a dust cover like this made and instead of a hole it was a long straight opening in case you are not dead center with your wick..... Anyone have experience and what are thoughts about this?   But I just love this look!  Am I wasting my time?

Thanks............Trappeur

DSC_5161-Edit-2.jpg.2828a4f8d8944b5a3058ae53c2a0cf79.jpg

• Like 1

Ok Kk!  I'll do a search here..I seem to remember something like that now that you mentioned it.....Thanks!

Packaging makes such a difference in my book and it can make or break a sale...I love the entire look of this candle.  They did a fabulous job in my opinion.  I wonder who makes them.  I don't see it on the label.

Trappeur

When I see candles with that type of dust cover, between the hole around the wick, and the fact that the dust cover usually doesn't go all the way to the edge of the jar, I have been able to smell the scent without disturbing the cover.  Maybe others will be instinctive to just pick up the jar and sniff.  I love the look of these too....

Edited by barbaranj

I think shoppers would want to pick up the candle and sniff it to see what it smells like, so I also think those covers would get bent up, smudged, etc.  A few ago, I sewed some little fabric covers for some jars, kind of country style, and I gave some as gifts, but I placed a little tag on it that said to not replace the cover after the candle has burned until it is completely reset and cool.  I know people would be aware to remove the paper cover before lighting, but I think it should still say that on the label just in case.  With the cover, the hang tag, the label -- that's an awful lot of labeling, imo, and it all says the same thing, I kind of wonder about that.

8 hours ago, Trappeur said:

I would love to have some dust covers made like these of course not this design but my own.

I never make candles without a lid but I have been looking at a few style jars that don't come with lids (hate that) and I was wondering if anyone has any experience just using a dust cover.  I hate those clear plastic ones.  Lids definitely hold in the scent and I'm wondering if a dust cover like this would hold in the scent?  Also I'm worried that people when viewing a candle with a cover such as this are going to try and peel up the edge of the cover to sniff?  In that case trying to lift up the edge to smell you now encounter fingernails scraped into the top of wax and the candle starting to look shabby or the covers now becoming bent and looking ugly.   One thing for sure is you better be pretty accurate and get your wick dead center to fit into the hole!   Now I have seen a dust cover like this made and instead of a hole it was a long straight opening in case you are not dead center with your wick..... Anyone have experience and what are thoughts about this?   But I just love this look!  Am I wasting my time?

Thanks............Trappeur

I was going to recommend Norman's Printery also-you may have seen that already as that's where the photo is from from your post.  Another cool thing about that site is that when you click on the box that says "templates" you can download a circle that shows where the center is; I print out the one that matches the size of my tumblers and I can see the center dot through the bottom so my wicks are centered every time.  

On another note, regarding the fingernails in the wax etc....when I went into check on my candle inventory in my customer's store, someone had put one of the candles up to her face to smell it and got her lipstick (lip gloss probably!) all over the side of it.  Ugh.  How many times have  you seen people smell candles and they actually put the tip of their nose right on the wax???  Yikes. 

This is from Norman's Printery site--cool dust cover for double wicked.  

Candle Dust Covers Foil Stamp Candle Packaging

• Like 1

ha ha ha....oh.ya right........a genius?  I think not.....  lol....but I do have a plan...

Since I need about a 2 5/8" circle to go in the top of the candle to fit and since I can only get from Zazzle either 1 1/2 or 3" round labels this is what I was thinking of.

If I could buy the size of 2 5/8" card stock like maybe in a solid black in a circle I could use this as my base label and then order the 1 1/2" round labels of whatever design I come up with through Zazzle and put this 1 1/2" label on top of the black one?   What do you think of that?  But the thing is to find el cheapo round solid color labels for pennies is #1....the next thing is I have to punch a hole dead center for the wick...But this is what I was thinking.  So it would look like a black bordered label...You know what I mean?   Well, sounds good, but I think it will be too hard to accomplish this..sounds simple really but to get the parts is another thing.

Trappeur

• 3 weeks later...

Did you ever find your dust cover source? I'm going to use these guys my next order. They have way better prices than Norman's Printery. The single color, uncoated is only $125.50 for 1000 for 100lb paper. I like that they allow you to order lower quantities. If they have the size you use in stock they don't charge your for the cutting dye, which is very nice. The owner sent me some samples. They are very impressive. You can have a coating too if you have a soft wax that sweats. The woman was really nice to talk to. 

http://www.westernpress.net/CandleCoverFullColor.html    http://www.westernpress.net/CandleCover.html

They make a few different types. The pressed ones are the prettiest, and you can get them with grommets too. 

Edited by Jeana
  • Like 1

Thankyou everyone for all your suggestions.  I did check out all the sites everyone suggested and as lovely as they all are, they are way too expensive.  I might as well get a lid if they had a lid.........sigh....

Trappeur

In my area candles don't sell very well with lids. You may be able to increase your sales with a no-lid container to make up for the increased cost of the dust cover. I'm just curious, where do you find jar lids for 13 cents a piece?

Seems like a trip to the craft store for a couple of punches would do the trick. A bit of card stock and presto. 

I invested in a silhouette cameo for other crafty projects. It is like a cricut in that you “print” a design to cut right to the device. I’ve cut custom paper shapes for packaging, signs, t-shirts, etc. kind of a hefty investment at first if you’re not doing much, but if you’re a serial crafter it pays for itself quickly. Bought it originally for t-shirts. Paid for itself very quickly. Everything now is just gravy. 

Here is an example of how I took a simple wood plank, cut a piece of outdoor vinyl to make two signs. One is the cut out letters. The other I used the negative to make a stencil. You can cut just about anything with it into any shape. 

594F0DFE-C8F7-434F-B496-AAEC8FB50F9D.jpeg

i was thinking the same as talltayle....big ol punch and another smaller one for the center... then you go to www.avery.com and find a template the right size...but just use cardstock rather than labels or stickers

il_570xN.821081056_n32d.jpg?version=0

• 2 months later...

I second @TallTayl, you will be able to do it using a die cutting machine. There's a learning curve but once you figure it out, you can do it yourself. You can do print and cut, so you can design your dust cover, save it, then open it on their site, and the machine will cut it for you. I have the cricut air.