I smelled a wonderful scent yesterday.............

lightmyfire

On one of my many strolls through Walmart,  I happened upon the candle/melt aisle.  I always like to smell the interesting sounding scents so that I can make note of it and match it when I make my candles/melts.  I came across a Better Homes and Gardens 18 oz jar candle called "A Wonderful Winter"; it was spectacular.  Not in how it looked of course, but the scent is incredible.  Here is the description:

"Icy peppermint shimmers breeze through regal evergreen adorned with glimmering icicles, bright winter citrus and leafy mistletoe"

If anyone happens to experience this candle will you let me know if you can match that scent or if just by reading this description this sounds like a FO you've used, please let me know.  It is soooooo

good!

548c0242-1afd-4980-acc7-e69180f30b4b_1.473310c18cb4992e64f28918c691c32d.jpeg.fb93b5dd4e4e9e2d37b8f32a1a0d4e37.jpeg

• Like 1

Wow, I LOVE the name and the description is a beautiful play on words!  Would you believe I haven't seen a shop in town that carries Yankee in my neck of the woods.

Lightmyfire....you could make it yourself!  You better start now...Christmas is only 5 months away....ha ha ha

Isn't that disgusting...I'm still on spring and summer and now thinking about Christmas.

Actually I just delivered some candles to a shop and she asked me to start making fall candles and thinking about Christmas.....well, ok...sure...

Trappeur

12 minutes ago, Trappeur said:

Wow, I LOVE the name and the description is a beautiful play on words!  Would you believe I haven't seen a shop in town that carries Yankee in my neck of the woods.

Lightmyfire....you could make it yourself!  You better start now...Christmas is only 5 months away....ha ha ha

Isn't that disgusting...I'm still on spring and summer and now thinking about Christmas.

Actually I just delivered some candles to a shop and she asked me to start making fall candles and thinking about Christmas.....well, ok...sure...

Trappeur

Well this is a cheap Walmart brand--this candle is only $7.  Can you even imagine what kind of junk is in this candle? *shudder*  BUT it does smell divine.

I'm anxious to identify a FO that smells like this so I can get these made!  You know Christmas will be upon us before you know it--I can't wait!  That's my very favorite time of year.

• 2 years later...

FYI: "A Wonderful Winter", by "better Homes & Garen's and sold at Walmart is anenigma: their wax melts in the EXACT SAME SCENTS aren't made by the same company as their candles. I'm a wax melt user only...and in all my hunders if not thousands of purchased retail wax melts, "A Wonderful Winter" *wax melts* (obviously also sold by Walmart) are THE BEST wax melts...in my collection. They were sold for a few Winter seasons, but unfortunately they weren't sold in 2019 and...so far we do not know what the BH&G Winter scents will be. BTW: They usually release more candle scents because, I'll assume, they're manufactured by a much cheaper manufacturer. Here's what killed me before I got myself educated LOL: The wax melts (BH&G) and the candles (BH&G) use the exsct same label artwork/design down to the fonts. *USU*ALL* the wax color is a spot on dupe, but I noticed that the AWW (A Wonderful Winter) wax melts are a garder, slightly yucky green color; not an icy blue...but I didn't learn about the Retail manufacturing industry until 2018, and now I don't want to sound "stuck up", or "she thinks her sh*t doesn't stink" LOL: I swear to you: I'm not a wax melt maker nor a candle maker so I'm not competition for any of you. And I tend to be on the more not-connfident side. But when it comes to many *RETAIL* wax (all forms), I know too much!!!

I actually started with FO's 2 months ago because of the Retail melts i "hoard"...like "hoard on the "Hoarding" TV show LOL.....because the stores (mainly Walmart) discontinues scents. On a side notw, in March, right when COVID-19 hit, I had and still have the worst Lupus flareup. Yes: I have Lupus whihc is a very complex autoimmune disease as it attacks many organs randomly and without reason. I also have a few other Autoimmune Diseases but I'm shared enough for now...and it leads to why I started with FOs 2 months ago. This flareup has really hit my lungs badly. It's been a nightmare and next week I will know more as to how my lungs are healing. That said: since March, some of my most treasured wax melt hoards....I can barely smell. Additionally, some of the other "minor" hoards" I can't tolerate for one reason  or another. I was lost, and I Couldn't ask in my two FB groups although one of them I intend to explain about FO's down the road. FEAR NOT: neither group permits vendors to sell/advertise, and they would be removed if they did. The main group is Retail Wax Melt discussion only and it's hard-enforced. You can't even discuss candles. That's why we started (finally) a second group in May, for all things scents except body products.

So because I have boatloads of wax melts, I to be honest, didn't even know FO vendors existed because my head was 100% focus on Retail wax, and they're oils are not at all discussed. It's odd now that I've learned about FOs, and met all of you that no one eever brought it up but I expect group two have have a whole section on FOs...likely run by me so I can keep tabs on people who sell in our FB groups only!! We may even loosed those rules because all the members...OMG....are buying vendor melts and every day I see 10 new vendors LOL!!!

SO going back to Walmart's BH&G A Wonderful Winter (AWW): Here's the scent notes as per Walmart:

• A Wonderful Winter

Walmart Notes: Icy peppermint shimmers through regal evergreens adorned with glimmering icicles, bright winter citrus and leafy mistletoe.

Now: my Co-Admin had done wax melt reviews since the beginning of time. AND....good news for those of you who make and sell your vendor wax melts: she's offering the service to do reviews on her main website now! Yes: vendor!!! And yes: FOR FREE! The only thing she requires is that the melts are sent to her to review. So, to help decipher that AMAZING, BEST EVER "A Wonderful Winter" scent *in wax melt form, I will post her scent note reviews here as well. Maybe, together, we can come up with a recipe LOL. If you liked the candle...the melts..OMG. And yes: I'm sure the melts are not made by the candle manufacturer. So here are the notes she wrote on BH&G AWW.

• This smells like a combination of apple and eucalyptus, with a hint of cinnamon. Not overly sweet. The eucalyptus is very minty, but plain mint, not spearmint, so no toothpaste note. The eucalyptus adds that very slightly sage-y note to counteract too much sweetness from the apple. When melted, I definitely smell all 3 notes: the apple, cinnamon, and eucalyptus. Close up it has a very strong sinus-clearing menthol effect, more than most other minty scents I've smelled, and I can even detect the sinus-clearing effect in the room. I like the crisp apple note in this one!

---Throw: 4.00

One of the scents I hoard *IS* back this year (again: as a wax melt ONLY....it's the "ScentSationals" brand also sold at Walmart). It's called ScentSationals Iridescent.It's ever so slightly, and I stress slightly, like BHG AWW but not the same. However: it's to die for and now my nose can barely pick up the throw. So I ventured in to FOs and I've tried a few as "additives". I melt one cube of Iridescent and I add _________ fill in the blank: I haven't hit a perfect one yet but so far JC Polar Express is best. It may need one drop of a straightup peppermint oil too.

So there you go on the Walmart's "A Wonderful Winter" candle. Tosss it and see if you can find some melts to compare SOMEWHERE on the web. I have I think 2 clams of it left. I cherish it.

The link to my Co-Admin's (Teri Brooks) site for reviews is https://www.waxmeltreviews.com/

She's a wonderdul person and likely the closest person to me in my life.

BTW none of us know ANY of the FO's used in the retail wax melts. It's proprietary information, obviously. Same as Hobby Lobby/DD Melts, Goos Creek, Bridgewater Candle, Hanna's Candles, Shortie's, Swan Creek, AmbiEscents, Candleberry, Trapp, Village Candle, Tuscany, Mainstays (Walmart as well but those candles/wax melts ARE made by the same company and they have some great scents this Fall).

I hope this helps!!! Bring on A Wonderful Winter!

-Karen "wild4waxmelts"

• Like 1

On 8/5/2020 at 7:09 PM, Belinda said:

Do you know if there's a Bath & Body Works scent that's similar to this one? Or maybe a Scentsy or Yankee scent that's similar?

Hi Belinda, and sorry for the delay. I was “dating my mattress” all day yesterday which translates to: I woke with a high fever and was in bed all day. Part of the Lupus flareup I’m experiencing. Today: feverless   Or as I say, “I’m normal today” because I’ve become insanely (and stupidly) superstitious) after so many years of this. Enough med talk but this is the first time I’m looking at the internet.

Unfortunately, I know of no scents anywhere where remotely similar to BHG “AWW” or A Wonderful Winter for latecomers.

Belinda: have you tried Fall/Winter 2019, and now returning for Fall/Winter the retail scent sold at Walmart under the ScentSationals (SS) label/brand called “Iridescent?”  It’s not at all a match to BHG AWW but it’s my second favorite (or maybe first...I vacillate) and they brought it back for Fall/Winter 2019 but it is a huge group favorite and we were all using Brickseek day and night to track it down. I lucked out and found a lot down here in Florida so that’s the scent I hoarded like a true hoarder. It’s back now, in Walmart (whenever I speak in the group you can assume it’s re:wax melts. It’s an unusual and wonderful winter (no pun intended!) scent. I’m trying to see if I can break it down and add other scent notes via FOs to get some form of the BHG AWW. Remember: the Iridescent is labeled under Walmart’s ScentSationals line but I know stuff about BHG, SS (sold at Walmart, AmbiEscents (at Bed, Bath, and Beyond), and I can give you more on this but I have to run to the pharmacy.

So, Belinda: try to get a clam or three of the SS ScentSationals at Walmart. I’m buying sample 1oz scents from all over and cooking up a storm! Just kidding. I’m brand new to FO but I have bought about 20 sample Winter/Christmas scents to try, especially if mint is a listen scent note.

I have to run but I don’t to LOL.
here the Iridescent link. The label design is lovely and one of my top favorites. Being a Graphic Designer, the labels retail and vendor even moreso, are a whole second addiction!
I’m not seeing the link yet; here’s a pic. You can try Brickseek or wait and I’ll find the link. The only think is that Walmart may not have the “new” links up.

Ugh I can’t upload the pic. I’m a newbie! Off to get my meds! Bbl or tomorrow !

Karen “wild4waxmelts”

• 1 month later...
On 8/10/2020 at 2:11 PM, Belinda said:

Hi Karen! Glad you're feeling better and I'm sorry you were sick. 

Maybe I can find some of it on Amazon or eBay and I'll order it if I do and see if anything comes to mind from the hundreds of bottles of Fo that I have!

Belinda: look what I found while trying to destash some of my wax melts that I really don’t care for! I thought that all I had left was one clam of this scent and the wasted chunked up candle (which was trashed today!). 

If you forgot (I forget everything!) or anyone else is interested: Walmart’s “Better Homes & Gardens” line of wax melts AND candles in the same scents, read up. A few replies up I posted about the sneaky Walmart purchasers. The candles and the wax melts are not made by the same company!! 

image.thumb.jpeg.d691b623412590e102c418c3dd501358.jpeg