Dying IGI 4627

Hi,

As IGI 4627 wax has a very grey'ish color and almost looks like vaseline. A quite unappealing color in my opinion. 

Have you tired and alter the color to more white (without blending it with soy)?

Have anyone tried these dye flakes

https://www.candlemakingsupplies.net/dyes/cate_31/p___P0837642.html

"These flakes will not clog your wick and do burn off more easily. Our new white dye flakes make whiter wax and won't clog your wick like some inferior white dyes."

Or does anyone recommend anything, in particular, to make the 4627 look more appealing?

• 4 weeks later...

I can report back on the white dye flakes...

It did whiten the 4627 and took away about 50% of the yellow-ish color which the wax picked up from the fragrance oil.

The dye flakes definitely clogged up the wick ;) - even though they are promoted not to do so.

The flame died pretty quick, will test to wick up 1 and 2 sizes and come back with the results.

I don't use your wax but have you tried liquid colors?  I personally don't like the flake or chips although you can melt them down with a bit of wax so they are easier to incorporate into the batch.  I guess white wouldn't be as much of a problem if doing only white.  Every additive to wax will change your burn, so yes testing again is necessary.

Edited by kandlekrazy

26 minutes ago, kandlekrazy said:

I don't use your wax but have you tried liquid colors?  I personally don't like the flake or chips although you can melt them down with a bit of wax so they are easier to incorporate into the batch.  I guess white wouldn't be as much of a problem if doing only white.  Every additive to wax will change your burn, so yes testing again is necessary.

Problem is that I haven't found any liquid white dye. Have you seen any?

I also prefer to use liquid dyes even though some of them have an awful off smell, Candlescience liquid dyes smell the worst. General Wax liquid dyes don't smell as bad as Candlescience does.

On 8/16/2018 at 2:56 AM, kandlekrazy said:

Yeah I agree Candlescience liquid dyes smell bad.  Think I have some from Aztec or Lonestar that aren't as bad.  White liquid only Candlewic have I seen it but I haven't looked for white specifically.

http://www.candlewic.com/store/product.aspx?q=c73,p815&title=White----Highly-Concentrated-Liquid-Dye-

They don't seem to have it in stock anymore.. I will email and ask!

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
On 8/15/2018 at 8:56 PM, kandlekrazy said:

Yeah I agree Candlescience liquid dyes smell bad.  Think I have some from Aztec or Lonestar that aren't as bad.  White liquid only Candlewic have I seen it but I haven't looked for white specifically.

Just wanted to throw this out there for anyone reading this post. I bought some liquid dyes from Aztec within the last 4 months and I hate them simply because they stink and I mean a strong, mothball, nasty repugnant stank. :frown2:  They just about make me throw up and I do wear a mask. They are very concentrated and they make pretty colors but I can't deal with the odor.

Edited by Laura C

11 hours ago, Laura C said:

Just wanted to throw this out there for anyone reading this post. I bought some liquid dyes from Aztec within the last 4 months and I hate them simply because they stink and I mean a strong, mothball, nasty repugnant stank. :frown2:  They just about make me throw up and I do wear a mask. They are very concentrated and they make pretty colors but I can't deal with the odor.

HMM, swear I've tried theirs and they didn't stink but it could have been Flaming.  Since I sold all my stuff I can't go look, lol.  Def have bought from Candle Science and phew.  Maybe call Aztec and ask them.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, kandlekrazy said:

HMM, swear I've tried theirs and they didn't stink but it could have been Flaming.  Since I sold all my stuff I can't go look, lol.  Def have bought from Candle Science and phew.  Maybe call Aztec and ask them.

I was looking over Aztec's website and reading the reviews on the liquid dyes and other people also commented on the foul odor. As you suggested, I went ahead and called them to make sure they weren't rancid or something and the lady said they do have a strong odor. Guess I won't be using the Aztec dyes anymore, they are not for me.

Plus, when I used those dyes in wax melts containing 444 Soy wax, the C&H scent throw of those melts had an odd odor very similar to the dyes. Sorry, I know this is off topic and referring to a different wax than this post was meant for but I wanted to mention it for anyone reading this post.

Edited by Laura C

On 2/21/2019 at 8:13 AM, Laura C said:

I was looking over Aztec's website and reading the reviews on the liquid dyes and other people also commented on the foul odor. As you suggested, I went ahead and called them to make sure they weren't rancid or something and the lady said they do have a strong odor. Guess I won't be using the Aztec dyes anymore, they are not for me.

Plus, when I used those dyes in wax melts containing 444 Soy wax, the C&H scent throw of those melts had an odd odor very similar to the dyes. Sorry, I know this is off topic and referring to a different wax than this post was meant for but I wanted to mention it for anyone reading this post.

Yes you def don't want it to affect your scent! yikes