Vanilla and Discoloration

scrubzz

Several questions if you please -

I know that Vanillin can cause discoloration but over time does it cause discoloration in smaller amounts? What I mean is I have seen Vanillin listed at say 0.3% (just an example as I don't have specific numbers in front of me at the moment) and also seen notes on that fragrance stating there was no discoloration for that particular fragrance - I know that Vanillin listed at 17% is going to look like a bar of Hershey's Chocolate if a stabilizer or colorant is not added but is there some  "unwritten rule of thumb" as to a when a percentage of Vanillan in a fragrance will cause discoloration or do you just have to try it and for yourself and see?

Also I know other variables can cause discoloration - what other variables can cause discoloration?

Thanks

Gosh, there are so many variables when it comes to discoloration. I make CP soap, I don't have a lot of experience with M&P, so I am basing my experience off of CP, but I have had oils discolor to purple, olive and yellow. I have had some oils with .5% vanillin discolor dark brown, and 5% discolor to a light tan. I test every single oil I soap with. You just never know what it is going to do with your recipe. That being said, i never bother with a stabilizer, and just incorporate the discoloration into my design as best I can.

Sorry that was a very non helpful answer!

• Like 1

There is no hard fast rule on the amount of vanillan that will discolor that I know of but I could be wrong. Generally the more vanillan the darker it will get. You have to remember there are other components in the fragrance that may also effect the color or lead to discoloration so some may have very little and discolor a lot while others not so much.

I generally go by the comments or soaping notes listed re each fragrance I buy and then test it out for myself. The comments usually help me determine if I want to try it out for non dyed soaps or for coloring purposes. 

I also let many of my known discoloring fragrances do their thing and leave their natural color. I do that for all my oatmeal and beer soaps. They all come out tan or brown and lots of variations in between. So I am particularly fond of having vanillan content in both my OMH and beer soaps.

For something like pink sugar that is notorious for discoloration and I want to make it pink or white I use vanilla stabilizer. I only use a couple of fragrances like pink sugar that discolor and use vanilla stabilizer. I prefer not to use it but I love pink sugar and want it pink and white so I use both VS and TD.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sarah S said:

Gosh, there are so many variables when it comes to discoloration. I make CP soap, I don't have a lot of experience with M&P, so I am basing my experience off of CP, but I have had oils discolor to purple, olive and yellow. I have had some oils with .5% vanillin discolor dark brown, and 5% discolor to a light tan. I test every single oil I soap with. You just never know what it is going to do with your recipe

Same exact situation with me. 

I've had FOs with 0% vanilla discolor various colors depending on the fo itself, and as Sarah said, I've had soaps with a very high percentage of vanilla not discolor at all. 

I did finally decided to resolve the problem, and yes, I use a stabilizer in every batch regardless of whether or not there is vanilla content in the FO - there are 2 reasons for this -

1.) it works with other elements besides just vanilla, so I cover myself with the discoloration, and

2.) I have all my labels for my main recipe pre-printed, and all I change on it is the name/scent of the soap, so this prevents me for either a) scratching the ingredient off of the label or b) reprinting the label myself not including the ingredient. 

• Like 1

As I have mentioned before I am unable physically (and financially) to do anything except read right now - I know the best way to learn is by doing but it is what it is and I am trying to learn what I can the only way that I can - My experience has mainly been with candles although I did play around with M&P a little bit - I did love the results of the M&P compared to off the shelf soap as did everyone whom I gifted it to - I do remember the discoloration of Pink Sugar to a dark brown which is pretty much my entire personal experience of discoloration in soap - Everything I make, be it candles or soap or whatever I do test - I thank you both for your comments - I like learning!

What are some of the other variables besides Vanillin that Can affect discoloration?