Jump to content
ncraiders

Candle Dye

Recommended Posts

I am thinking about trying to make some aroma bead ornies.  Does anyone know of a place that sells a white liquid candle dye.  I am wanting to make an ornie that requires the use of white to make it look correct but am having issues finding something that will give me a white bead when i am done adding the fragrance.  Any help/suggestions are appreciated. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's not something I usually purchase, but I believe RE has a large selection of liquid dyes, and BC as well. When I make my ornies, I mix a little mica in with the FO for the color, and it always turns out beautiful. But I have a large supply of mica for soap making, so that is the more convenient option for me. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful!

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sarah S said:

That's not something I usually purchase, but I believe RE has a large selection of liquid dyes, and BC as well. When I make my ornies, I mix a little mica in with the FO for the color, and it always turns out beautiful. But I have a large supply of mica for soap making, so that is the more convenient option for me. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful!

Hey if that works i am open to the idea.  I would need to order some liquid dyes anyways so if need be i can always get some of that as well.  Sadly right now i only have a few dye chips i bought a while back when i got into candle making.  Never messed with liquid.  Just figured liquid would give me a more consistent color that guessing on dye chips.  Not to mention i dont think my dye would work for aroma beads anyways as I wouldn't be melting the dye.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just found whitener powdered dye on BC.  That gives me a good option to look at.  I also need to find something that will give me a true black as alot of people complain that black dye end up more gray than black..  I am looking for all this before i order anything as i want to be able to order everything all in one day so it get here around the same time.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've honestly never seen a liquid white colorant for candles. Since you won't be using a wick, you can try using white pigment, but again, it's not a liquid. You could try a Titanium Dioxide colorant, most commonly used in soaps, but I'm not sure how it would incorporate in beads, I've never done beads before. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/15/2018 at 11:58 AM, ncraiders said:

I just found whitener powdered dye on BC.  That gives me a good option to look at.  I also need to find something that will give me a true black as alot of people complain that black dye end up more gray than black..  I am looking for all this before i order anything as i want to be able to order everything all in one day so it get here around the same time.

For black, since these are for beads and not candles where the wick can clog, or b&b where the color can bleed or stain, you can use more than what is recommended for those types of applications and get a true black. Any black colorant should work if the beads take color easily enough. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/15/2018 at 12:58 PM, ncraiders said:

I just found whitener powdered dye on BC.  That gives me a good option to look at.  I also need to find something that will give me a true black as alot of people complain that black dye end up more gray than black..  I am looking for all this before i order anything as i want to be able to order everything all in one day so it get here around the same time.

I am almost sure that Candlewic has White liquid dye.

You may be able to call them & get first class Shipping instead of their ground price .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, katmeltswax said:

I am almost sure that Candlewic has White liquid dye.

You may be able to call them & get first class Shipping instead of their ground price .

They don't carry white liquid dye anymore sadly.  I can use powdered dye tho which should work fine when mixed with the fo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, ncraiders said:

They don't carry white liquid dye anymore sadly.  I can use powdered dye tho which should work fine when mixed with the fo.

5 minutes ago, ncraiders said:

They don't carry white liquid dye anymore sadly.  I can use powdered dye tho which should work fine when mixed with the fo.

Well darn I sure thought I saw the white just last week ,when I placed my most recent order

I  was out of the red & just thought I noticed white in the liquid dye section. Thats good you found the powdered in white to use . 

On 7/15/2018 at 12:58 PM, ncraiders said:

I just found whitener powdered dye on BC.  That gives me a good option to look at.  I also need to find something that will give me a true black as alot of people complain that black dye end up more gray than black..  I am looking for all this before i order anything as i want to be able to order everything all in one day so it get here around the same time.

I am almost sure that Candlewic has White liquid dye.

You may be able to call them & get first class Shipping instead of their ground price .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/13/2018 at 8:14 PM, ncraiders said:

I am thinking about trying to make some aroma bead ornies.  Does anyone know of a place that sells a white liquid candle dye.  I am wanting to make an ornie that requires the use of white to make it look correct but am having issues finding something that will give me a white bead when i am done adding the fragrance.  Any help/suggestions are appreciated. 

I make white ones by not putting any dye at all in the beads. I've also used white mica powder if I wanted to make it look not so translucent. I think I got mica from RE or Aztec. Also, I have made black ones too. You just have to use enough dye to make them black and not grey. It doesn't seem to affect the scent.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Belinda said:

I make white ones by not putting any dye at all in the beads. I've also used white mica powder if I wanted to make it look not so translucent. I think I got mica from RE or Aztec. Also, I have made black ones too. You just have to use enough dye to make them black and not grey. It doesn't seem to affect the scent.

Belinda I received my beads from Plasticpellets4fun .

I love the fact they are the smaller type .The price is great too. I have some soaking now & excited to get results .I so want these to work out ,as the price is wonderful.

This company ships speedy fast , received my order in 2 days ,packing was great as well ,so professional .Just wanted to let you know . 

Your right on the dye ,has not effected the scent at all for me either . I sometimes add alot to get the color I am wanting , especially black & navy blue . 

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, katmeltswax said:

Belinda I received my beads from Plasticpellets4fun .

I love the fact they are the smaller type .The price is great too. I have some soaking now & excited to get results .I so want these to work out ,as the price is wonderful.

This company ships speedy fast , received my order in 2 days ,packing was great as well ,so professional .Just wanted to let you know . 

Your right on the dye ,has not effected the scent at all for me either . I sometimes add alot to get the color I am wanting , especially black & navy blue . 

Great to hear! I placed an order with them so it should be here any day. Thank you so much for letting me know about this company. Hopefully it'll work out for both of us!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Belinda said:

Great to hear! I placed an order with them so it should be here any day. Thank you so much for letting me know about this company. Hopefully it'll work out for both of us!

A huge your Welcome!! !

I actually read about this company on the other post a while back ....I was having so much trouble with beads myself & decided to try these. Let's hope they work out for us. 😀

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/15/2018 at 9:49 AM, Sarah S said:

That's not something I usually purchase, but I believe RE has a large selection of liquid dyes, and BC as well. When I make my ornies, I mix a little mica in with the FO for the color, and it always turns out beautiful. But I have a large supply of mica for soap making, so that is the more convenient option for me. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful!

great idea to use mica.  Bet it is beautiful. I am gonna try this!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, strugglebrother said:

Looks like they have taken the white liquid dye away

 

http://www.candlewic.com/store/product.aspx?q=c73,p815&title=White----Highly-Concentrated-Liquid-Dye-

 

Anyone else who has shopped white liquid dye for candles anywhere? I can't find any?

I only found one company selling white liquid dye but that company has a iffy reputation so I am not gonna chance it at all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, franu61 said:

great idea to use mica.  Bet it is beautiful. I am gonna try this!

Never used mica ,sounds interesting. I will give this a try too. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A few years ago I found some white dye somewhere but I did not care for the way it made the beads look.  It works perfectly not using any dye but then you can't use FOs that have a dark color to them.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×