Wick Migration when wax is low

On 7/12/2018 at 5:57 PM, TallTayl said:

I discovered high temp glue with a little hot pot to dip wick tabs into. No strings and no picking up putting down the gun. My trigger finger was getting tendinitis (no joke). 

... it uses high temp pellets. Saves me a ton of time wicking tins. That glue is stuck on their tight pretty quickly. No strings either. I tried to set it on fire to make sure it isn’t flammable. Nope it’s not ...

I'm SO glad I caught this thread !!!!!

Remember, I asked about the dipping pots quite awhile back?  ( here )

It didn't seem as though anyone had used them, but I think I saw that some were high temp and I was curious about the "non stringing" glue, etc.  I'd given up on it since no one else had any experience with them, and now I see that you have TallTayl ... so that's great ... I may just try it out sometime now, feeling a bit more secure about it and not just wandering into the unknown like I normally do!  :)

On 7/18/2018 at 7:26 PM, TallTayl said:

i threw away my package (grumble grumble). Pretty sure it is this one https://www.menards.com/main/paint/adhesives-glue-tape/glue/glue-guns-glue-sticks/surebonder-reg-skillet-pan-glue-1-lb/b-2001/p-1444430629385-c-14002.htm?tid=5031253741023570089&ipos=11

The pellets are pretty white, not tan though as in the description. Softening point is about 200*F

• High strength/superior bonding/minimal stringing
  • For use in Surebonder® #805 glue skillet
  • 1 pound bag
  • Ideal for artificial floral arrangements and various craft projects
  • Softening Point: 176°F to 212°F
  • Color: light tan

I’d give them a good long, hard test in your containers before selling. These definitely are sturdier thank typical glue sticks, but nowhere near permatex tough. I use in tins and am fully satisfied with it for that container.  If a wick wanders a bit in a tin it’s not as much of a deal breaker as in glass. 

As an aside, permatex red gasket sealer is available in most auto parts sections of big box stores. Great stuff for when it absolutely positive

y has to stay stuck. 

TallTayl,

After the candle has been used up, can the wick tab be removed at all and if so, how?

I usually use wick tabs but they do not glue sometimes and I really like your idea, but I need to make sure the customer can take off the tab after burning the entire candle to use the jar for other things.  I don't want the tab to be so superbonded to the glass or ceramic jar that the jar will be ruined while the customer tries to remove the tab.

1 hour ago, Bia said:

TallTayl,

After the candle has been used up, can the wick tab be removed at all and if so, how?

I usually use wick tabs but they do not glue sometimes and I really like your idea, but I need to make sure the customer can take off the tab after burning the entire candle to use the jar for other things.  I don't want the tab to be so superbonded to the glass or ceramic jar that the jar will be ruined while the customer tries to remove the tab.

@scrubzz@Kerven@LightMyCandleCo@moonshine

For anyone using silicone: The silicone can be softened up by soaking in a little Naphtha (Ronsonol/Zippo Lighter fluid, Coleman Liquid camp stove fuel). Brake cleaner or even nail polish remover will work in a pinch. The naphtha will soften ALL types of silicone rubbers.   

• Thanks 1

Alrighty, for science, I played with a few lit tins that used hot glue to secure the wicks. During the last burn they DO get hot enough to push that wick tab around. If the table the container sits on is unlevel it could shift on its own. I would not trust hot glues for glass one bit. 

55 minutes ago, TallTayl said:

Alrighty, for science, I played with a few lit tins that used hot glue to secure the wicks. During the last burn they DO get hot enough to push that wick tab around. If the table the container sits on is unlevel it could shift on its own. I would not trust hot glues for glass one bit. 

After my candles have seen their last burn session and I'm ready to clean my glassware, I usually have to use a pair of pliers to pull on the wick tab that's been secured with hot glue.  Now, you said that you did your experiment with tins ... it could be that tins are another story.

when cool even tins are in need of pliers. while still burning that is a totally different story.  When you are on your last burn if that glass is at all unlevel it can slide toward the side. If it's jostled it can move. That's the point i was trying to make.

How many people use glassware that has a bottom that is not completely level? that little bit can be enough for the glued wick tab to shift.

28 minutes ago, Pam W said:

TACKY WAX from the craft store.......that wick will stay where you put it.

Can it take a good hard pull to keep the wick taut for a hot pour? I cannot stand when the wick pulls loose. I've been known to throw pots of wax when that happens.

I'd rather go with candle stick-ums in glass as they're more likely to be covered by my insurance should any incident occur.

46 minutes ago, TallTayl said:

Can it take a good hard pull to keep the wick taut for a hot pour? I cannot stand when the wick pulls loose. I've been known to throw pots of wax when that happens.

I'd rather go with candle stick-ums in glass as they're more likely to be covered by my insurance should any incident occur.

I've had no problem with the wicks pulling loose on hot pours but that SAID,  since I don't sell and don't have the appropriate insurance to cover my a$$ in any particular situation, this is something that you'd have to test for yourself.  There is such a difference between pouring for personal use and pouring for public consumption.

I'd rather go with candle stick-ums in glass as they're more likely to be covered by my insurance

Ya know this is a big consideration on your end...........for me it is not an issue but for those of you that sell, it can definitely enter you realm of reality.

• 3 months later...
On 7/19/2018 at 9:03 PM, TallTayl said:

How did I miss that? 

The little pot saves me a ton of time. Dab and go. 

That's great ... I thought it would probably be a good idea or method, I just wasn't sure about it ... good to know someone has actually tried it out.  I think I'd like to get one, esp. now that my high-temp glue gun trigger broke, so I got a Singer brand high-temp glue gun and this one leaks glue when not in use, really annoying and wasting glue too.  So, do you have any pointers in regard to the type of glue you purchase for the dipping pot?

17 minutes ago, birdcharm said:

That's great ... I thought it would probably be a good idea or method, I just wasn't sure about it ... good to know someone has actually tried it out.  I think I'd like to get one, esp. now that my high-temp glue gun trigger broke, so I got a Singer brand high-temp glue gun and this one leaks glue when not in use, really annoying and wasting glue too.  So, do you have any pointers in regard to the type of glue you purchase for the dipping pot?

I buy the high temp chips sold next to it at the hardware store. Ive used gorilla glue in it with no issues. They still can move about when at the bottom of the burn. In tins I don’t worry as much. In glass the foam stickers still outperform glue. 

• Thanks 1