The Last Couple of Weeks...

MrDan

The first photo is the little

pillar I made last night when I couldn’t sleep. I used one of my foil coils (kept in the freezer beforehand) to get a different kind of rustic look easily. 

When ever I’ve found myself with any amount of downtime this last week or so, I make a candle. 

Ive got quite a few sitting in the living room now!

Don’t you just love those owls?!

Most of the owls are the “premium” wax from Hobby Lobby (it works with plastic molds better than anything else I’ve worked with), most of the pillars are IGI 4625, and all of the colors are hand mixed with primary dye chips (red, yellow, and blue).

E7446F3C-92C5-4315-BCCF-10026D7E33B8.jpeg

9BD49347-6AF4-4683-8D32-19E52ACE2342.jpeg

B8CF53B4-EB4D-47C1-AA2D-8E3BA83D57A9.jpeg

• Like 2

Wow Mr. Dan you have been busy....and they are just beautiful and sooooo flawlesss!  No frosting or anything but just so perfect!   I hope they burn well for you.  And I love owls.   Matter of fact there is a store who's name is an owl I just made up some labels for that I have to bring in.

Trappeur

49 minutes ago, Trappeur said:

Wow Mr. Dan you have been busy....and they are just beautiful and sooooo flawlesss!  No frosting or anything but just so perfect!   I hope they burn well for you.  And I love owls.   Matter of fact there is a store who's name is an owl I just made up some labels for that I have to bring in.

Trappeur

That premium wax (I think it’s Country Lane) really does work wonderfully with plastic molds! Pour at 175-180, and no release agent needed!

These little guys burn pretty well, if a little disturbing. It usually stars “bleeding” from the eyes, and then the head splits open. Most people I’m selling or giving them to aren’t burning them of course; they’re just too cute!

I made one that’s blue on the outside, but deep red on the inside. I’m hoping it’ll give me a “bleeding” effect, but I don’t think it’s going to work. It’s still fun though!

• Haha 1

Love the owls.  I'm partial to that green one in the back.  The color is perfect for that vintage style owl.  Is that Hobby Lobby wax the Country Lane wax by Candlewic?  If so,  I'm sure it's a great wax.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, bfroberts said:

Love the owls.  I'm partial to that green one in the back.  The color is perfect for that vintage style owl.  Is that Hobby Lobby wax the Country Lane wax by Candlewic?  If so,  I'm sure it's a great wax.

Oddly enough, that green owl in back is the only one made with the IGI 4625. But the other owls are made with the Country Lane wax! You get a completely opaque product, but you still get that nice paraffin shine!

The IGI 4625 is slightly more translucent, which I love on the pillars. 

I still have plenty of experimenting to do with both waxes and multiple types of molds. That’s the best part though!

Oh! I just love them! The black one is particularly cool! Good rustic finish, too! The pillars are BIG! Nice smooth finish on them, too. I finally got my very first owl done, and another one is in the can. I'll post it here, as well. He is soooo CUTE! Looks to me to be the exact same size owl that you have! You have been BUSY! :rockon:

3 minutes ago, Hopie said:

Oh! I just love them! The black one is particularly cool! Good rustic finish, too! The pillars are BIG! Nice smooth finish on them, too. I finally got my very first owl done, and another one is in the can. I'll post it here, as well. He is soooo CUTE! Looks to me to be the exact same size owl that you have! You have been BUSY! :rockon:

Oddly, it’s not black! It’s a really dark green with some Pine fragrance. I think if I’d left it smooth the color would have been more noticeable, but that’s an experiment for another day.

The pillars are little tiny guys! 2” x 3.5” and 2” x 6.5”. I’ve got a larger pillar mold somewhere, but that takes a pound and a half of wax. Not that I’m against making them that big, but the smaller guys are easier for this round of experimenting and testing!

Now let’s see that owl! lol

Ohhh, the picture looks like the rustic one is black. I still like it, great texture! Green is one of my favorite colors. Orange is really cool, too. You are truly on your way with these candles, I like them all. Nice work!

10 minutes ago, Hopie said:

Ohhh, the picture looks like the rustic one is black. I still like it, great texture! Green is one of my favorite colors. Orange is really cool, too. You are truly on your way with these candles, I like them all. Nice work!

You can barely notice the green if you look at the bottom, where I haven’t cleaned it up yet. I have a feeling it’s going to give off a nice green glow! Or I hope it is, lol

Right now I’m just working with red, yellow, and blue dye chips and mixing my own colors. It’s fun making all these odd colors, but not very consistent.

• 2 weeks later...

Mr Dan:  keep pouring and posting ((((for our viewing pleasure))))

I do find it is a problem to get consistancy with dye chips,,,,,where liquid dye is more consistant.

Where ever your journey takes, keep us posted so we can travel with you  :-)

• Like 1

On 7/19/2018 at 6:54 PM, Pam W said:

Mr Dan:  keep pouring and posting ((((for our viewing pleasure))))

I do find it is a problem to get consistancy with dye chips,,,,,where liquid dye is more consistant.

Where ever your journey takes, keep us posted so we can travel with you  🙂

Yeah, I’m less and less happy with the dye chips every time. The red is being a particular butthead by not melting all the down. Once I can get some more $$$ I’ll be stepping up my dye game.

1 hour ago, Sarah S said:

Every time is see those owls I want to squeal like a little girl. ❤️❤️❤️

Haha, ME TOO! Oh, and I DID order from that Spiritcrafts.net company, my stuff is on the way! Weeeeeeeeee! :lol:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...