Best wick and container for IGI 6006

21 hours ago, Pip said:

Thank you for your advice helped so much! I lowered my FO , i forgot who mentioned the wooden wick co . I tried a few of those because they sent me the wrong ones at first. I was very scared to work with a wood wick , I’m not finding trouble with it . With the right cure time and lowering my FO. I have never joined the conversation i have always came here for advice, thank you all ! Still have a lot to Learn 😩after two years never ending learning i love it though 

I'm also two years into my candle making journey. Everything I know I learned on this board. The best advice I could give you is ask questions. Using the search function for topics is a great place to start, but when you are uncertain just ask.

• Like 1

You are far ahead of me ! I’m still testing i got some wood wicks i really like them , still need to test some more. I re melted a candle i put to much FO in so it’s a chimney light, when i blow it out barely any smoke. So I’m going to keep testing these i have 3 different ones ,the original booster wick gets pretty hot after about a hour kinda scared the glass would crack. Smells amazing . I will save that one for a different jar . 

9 minutes ago, Pip said:

You are far ahead of me ! I’m still testing i got some wood wicks i really like them , still need to test some more. I re melted a candle i put to much FO in so it’s a chimney light, when i blow it out barely any smoke. So I’m going to keep testing these i have 3 different ones ,the original booster wick gets pretty hot after about a hour kinda scared the glass would crack. Smells amazing . I will save that one for a different jar . 

Testing never ends

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

I have been in the candle business since 1998. Hall Street Candle Company.Let me say right up front. The fragrances now days are not the same as they were then, I used to make  3 wick 20oz. candles that would cover 3000 Sq. feet or more. Now Im lucky if a 3 wick will cover 200 feet. That is because of the fragrance companies i promise, I have tried everything I cab try and just can't get the throw anymore. I have used Grade A , B  Neither gives me the results that I am searching for. I used to stand out, I competed with Yahkee, Dreamers and more. I sold to stores, boutiques etc. Believe me I am so frustrated with these companies. I have tried every fragrance place over the years to no avail. Sorry to be bearer of bad news but the true fragrances are gone. I quit for a while from being disgusted with suppliers. But have started back again. I wish all of you good luck, do the best you can , put all you got into it and have fun. If I find a fantastic supplier I will let you all know. Again sorry for bad news, it's a shame. I can list suppliers and there is a bunch.

Candlescience is a good supplier

The Flaming candle is a good supplier (Best I found so far)

Fragrance buddy is a good company. 

The candle makers store has an article on A grade verses B grade everyone should read.

they are a manufacturer of fragrances< Still not what Im looking for....

I just wish it was like it used to be!

Do you best is all you can do....

if you want to ask me any questions feel free to at ronaldmcmillan1957@yahoo.com

• Sad 1

28 minutes ago, Ronald mcmillan said:

I have been in the candle business since 1998. Hall Street Candle Company.Let me say right up front. The fragrances now days are not the same as they were then, I used to make  3 wick 20oz. candles that would cover 3000 Sq. feet or more. Now Im lucky if a 3 wick will cover 200 feet. That is because of the fragrance companies i promise, I have tried everything I cab try and just can't get the throw anymore. I have used Grade A , B  Neither gives me the results that I am searching for. I used to stand out, I competed with Yahkee, Dreamers and more. I sold to stores, boutiques etc. Believe me I am so frustrated with these companies. I have tried every fragrance place over the years to no avail. Sorry to be bearer of bad news but the true fragrances are gone. I quit for a while from being disgusted with suppliers. But have started back again. I wish all of you good luck, do the best you can , put all you got into it and have fun. If I find a fantastic supplier I will let you all know. Again sorry for bad news, it's a shame. I can list suppliers and there is a bunch.

Candlescience is a good supplier

The Flaming candle is a good supplier (Best I found so far)

Fragrance buddy is a good company. 

The candle makers store has an article on A grade verses B grade everyone should read.

they are a manufacturer of fragrances< Still not what Im looking for....

I just wish it was like it used to be!

Do you best is all you can do....

if you want to ask me any questions feel free to at ronaldmcmillan1957@yahoo.com

To get those you need to work directly with the fragrance compounders and perfumers. It takes some skin in the game with 25 lb mins, but you “can” get nice potent unique fragrances. 

you also might want to use phthalates. The chemistry behind them is simple, while the politics is complex. 

resellers, like the popular candle suppliers are in business to sell fragrance. When people “need”12% to be able to smell the fragrance it is a cash cow for them.  I get it. They have people to pay. I just don’t play their circuitous games any more.

• Like 1

Yeah I have dealt with Alpha Aromatics a few times and yes the 25lb. minimum is right.I used to ba able to purchase 5 lbs. at a time with a 1.00 dollar upcharge which wasn't bad, but that ended. I stopped ordering from them a few years back. Lonestar used to be my main supplier but things have changed there as well. It's just hard of a candle maker these days lol.. If you could charge more even with a quality candle but then there is walmart and people will do them just to pay for a cheap candle, gets me...

34 minutes ago, Ronald mcmillan said:

Yeah I have dealt with Alpha Aromatics a few times and yes the 25lb. minimum is right.I used to ba able to purchase 5 lbs. at a time with a 1.00 dollar upcharge which wasn't bad, but that ended. I stopped ordering from them a few years back. Lonestar used to be my main supplier but things have changed there as well. It's just hard of a candle maker these days lol.. If you could charge more even with a quality candle but then there is walmart and people will do them just to pay for a cheap candle, gets me...

Walmart people are not “my” people. I don’t get bent out of shape missing that market.

target is closer, with many Magnolia products being very well (high) priced. But even there I don’t fit.

most resellers like lone star et al try to cater to both bath/body and candle customers.  IFRA limits what we can do with FO, so chandlers get the short end of the fragrance stick. 

we need to buy FO designed for candles to really make the best performing candles,