Best wick and container for IGI 6006

Hello 

I recently started making candles I first started out using GB 444 but which hade great ct but no ht and candles with become lumpy. I then switched to igi6006 which I love but I noticed that with the 4oz tin using eco 1 (recommended by CS) I have a high flame and black some, the flame also dances and container becomes very hot. I want to make great candles and so far everyone that buys from me loves them but I don’t feel comfortable selling any more with this issue! I also made using the 8oz tin and eco 8 wic. Can anyone share some tips and ideas I don’t even mind switching containers. I’ve already made sales and created social media for my brand but I don’t want to become untrustworthy. 

I can tell you what the worst container is; that would be a tureen, you have to be insane to use those. I would recommend a round, glass container with straight sides. Based on my experience and the recommendations I have gathered from this board I would recommend CD or Zinc core wicks. I recently tested the 8oz tin with 6006 and the CD-8 worked best in my test. The 51 zinc core also worked but is a bit hotter than the CD-8.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, R.palmer said:

Hello 

I recently started making candles I first started out using GB 444 but which hade great ct but no ht and candles with become lumpy. I then switched to igi6006 which I love but I noticed that with the 4oz tin using eco 1 (recommended by CS) I have a high flame and black some, the flame also dances and container becomes very hot. I want to make great candles and so far everyone that buys from me loves them but I don’t feel comfortable selling any more with this issue! I also made using the 8oz tin and eco 8 wic. Can anyone share some tips and ideas I don’t even mind switching containers. I’ve already made sales and created social media for my brand but I don’t want to become untrustworthy. 

Forrest gives wise advise!  I have been using 6006 for 3 years and I feel like I have a good handle on it (for now....we all know how that goes!).  I've never used a 4 oz tin-that seems very difficult to manage.  The 8 oz tins are pretty friendly and as Forrest said, the CD 8 is pretty standard but can change with heavier FO.  This is the container I use and it works very well-11 oz tumbler.  661417761_silverlid.jpg.80166c94fb239660d3a81ef987017613.jpg

You may want to use the search function on this site for 6006--you will find oodles of posts that will give you lots of info.

• Thanks 1

I know it's tough to pull back when you poised to go forward with sales, but I would encourage you to do just that and hit the pause button on selling right now. From the sound of it, you have a lot of testing still to do, and you are not completely satisfied with your product. It sounds like you want to be know for making great candles (which is awesome), so why take the chance of putting an inferior product in someone's hands? And why stress yourself out with the additional pressure? Just my .02!

As for your original question, the best container is the one that works for your brand and your vision. Some people like tins, some like tumblers, some like jars. And some are touched in the head and use toureens. 😂😂

@lightmyfire had a great suggestion to search "6006", I'd suggest combining 6006 and wicks to see what pops up. That's a popular wax, so I'm sure there are a ton of threads on it!

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Forrest said:

I can tell you what the worst container is; that would be a tureen, you have to be insane to use those. 

😂😂😂😂😂😂

Laughing with you, not at you!

I sure do love they way they look when you ink them!

• Thanks 1

I ditto exactly what Sarah said.   Safety first.....learn about all the waxes and wicks out there, problem solve....and test, test, test....Did I say test?  You put the wrong not wicked correctly tin, glass jar, etc in the hands of an irresponsible person, even the ones who have burned candles for years and you put someone's life at risk, a fire, or some young kid picking up a container and scorching himself and you have a major disaster waiting to happen.  I'm not being mean or trying to hurt your feelings but making a product such as a candle is truly something that is to be mastered.  It took me a couple years before I felt comfortable to even put a candle out to the public.   And most of the rest of us have done the same thing.   It takes, time, patience, hours, weeks, and months, and lots and lots of money to master this art.  I personally would step back, take your time, not worry about doing your social media at this moment and certainly not selling at this early stage of the game of learning how to make a candle and read and read on this forum all the different threads out there pertaining to this art.  You could read for a year endlessly.  I still learn to this very day and I've been at it for over 12 years easily.  I know how exciting it is to create and you will get there but from what I read, your not ready to sell if you are asking certain questions as what you have.  And we are all here to help, offer suggestions and discuss just about everything so ask away anything just like what you have.   We have a great time here on this forum so jump in with the rest of us.   We all have been there, done that.   Hope I didn't hurt your feelings as it was not meant as that.   Nice to meet you....;)

Trappeur 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Trappeur said:

I ditto exactly what Sarah said.   Safety first.....learn about all the waxes and wicks out there, problem solve....and test, test, test....Did I say test?  You put the wrong not wicked correctly tin, glass jar, etc in the hands of an irresponsible person, even the ones who have burned candles for years and you put someone's life at risk, a fire, or some young kid picking up a container and scorching himself and you have a major disaster waiting to happen.  I'm not being mean or trying to hurt your feelings but making a product such as a candle is truly something that is to be mastered.  It took me a couple years before I felt comfortable to even put a candle out to the public.   And most of the rest of us have done the same thing.   It takes, time, patience, hours, weeks, and months, and lots and lots of money to master this art.  I personally would step back, take your time, not worry about doing your social media at this moment and certainly not selling at this early stage of the game of learning how to make a candle and read and read on this forum all the different threads out there pertaining to this art.  You could read for a year endlessly.  I still learn to this very day and I've been at it for over 12 years easily.  I know how exciting it is to create and you will get there but from what I read, your not ready to sell if you are asking certain questions as what you have.  And we are all here to help, offer suggestions and discuss just about everything so ask away anything just like what you have.   We have a great time here on this forum so jump in with the rest of us.   We all have been there, done that.   Hope I didn't hurt your feelings as it was not meant as that.   Nice to meet you....;)

Trappeur 

I don't think there's anything mean about your post--it's all true.  I can speak from my own experience on this topic.  I keep a candle making journal that I love to go back and read to remind myself of the long, expensive and wonderful journey I've taken to become "pretty good" and this craft.  I poured my first candle on 11/15/2014 and all of my notes were about how pretty the candles were and how much I liked my little jelly jars.  Not one note about how the wick performed under multiple test burns or anything else.  Seriously.  I didn't know about this forum so all I had was the CS video on making candles to show me how to just make the candles.  I had no idea that I had to burn, burn and burn some more.  A month later I had some candles in a consignment shop and sold a few; I'd hate to know how poorly those candles burned.  It took me another year and many waxes, FO's and containers later to realize that this is a science as well as an art.  I'm now almost 4 years in and really now feeling the joy and sometimes the frustration/heartache of creating these little wax creatures that have become part of who I am.  It's so easy to want to give/sell  your creations to others since there is a great sense of pride from making them but that is something to be earned from the learn.  Pick a friend or 2 that will be your extremely honest sounding boards and test, test test.  Stick with a few scents and one jar.  READ THIS FORUM as often as you can!!!!  I have a long way to get to 12 years like Trappeur but I'm excited for the journey.  I'm thankful to have your experience and that of many others to guide me.  BTW-it's 5 am and I'm doing my second test burn on my new amber mason jars--we gotta do what we gotta do.  :dance2: 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, lightmyfire said:

I don't think there's anything mean about your post--it's all true.  I can speak from my own experience on this topic.  I keep a candle making journal that I love to go back and read to remind myself of the long, expensive and wonderful journey I've taken to become "pretty good" and this craft.  I poured my first candle on 11/15/2014 and all of my notes were about how pretty the candles were and how much I liked my little jelly jars.  Not one note about how the wick performed under multiple test burns or anything else.  Seriously.  I didn't know about this forum so all I had was the CS video on making candles to show me how to just make the candles.  I had no idea that I had to burn, burn and burn some more.  A month later I had some candles in a consignment shop and sold a few; I'd hate to know how poorly those candles burned.  It took me another year and many waxes, FO's and containers later to realize that this is a science as well as an art.  I'm now almost 4 years in and really now feeling the joy and sometimes the frustration/heartache of creating these little wax creatures that have become part of who I am.  It's so easy to want to give/sell  your creations to others since there is a great sense of pride from making them but that is something to be earned from the learn.  Pick a friend or 2 that will be your extremely honest sounding boards and test, test test.  Stick with a few scents and one jar.  READ THIS FORUM as often as you can!!!!  I have a long way to get to 12 years like Trappeur but I'm excited for the journey.  I'm thankful to have your experience and that of many others to guide me.  BTW-it's 5 am and I'm doing my second test burAn my new amber mason jars--we gotta do what we gotta do.  :dance2: 

What a beautiful written post Lightmyfire......

I just hit the bed at 4:00 am myself...I too was making candles and doing samples of all these new oils I got.  What an addiction. Oh please post a picture of the amber jar!  Guess what I'm doing right now?  Got my camera out and am taking some shots of the amber jars myself to put up here as I promised.  So stay tuned!

Trappeur

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 7/9/2018 at 2:57 PM, lightmyfire said:

Forrest gives wise advise!  I have been using 6006 for 3 years and I feel like I have a good handle on it (for now....we all know how that goes!).  I've never used a 4 oz tin-that seems very difficult to manage.  The 8 oz tins are pretty friendly and as Forrest said, the CD 8 is pretty standard but can change with heavier FO.  This is the container I use and it works very well-11 oz tumbler.  661417761_silverlid.jpg.80166c94fb239660d3a81ef987017613.jpg

You may want to use the search function on this site for 6006--you will find oodles of posts that will give you lots of info.

You have the identical container that I am using. What wick are you using. I have just done a burn test with 13 different wicks. I am not sure any of them were ideal. Do you mind sharing? I am using IGI 6006

39 minutes ago, alemana said:

You have the identical container that I am using. What wick are you using. I have just done a burn test with 13 different wicks. I am not sure any of them were ideal. Do you mind sharing? I am using IGI 6006

39 minutes ago, alemana said:

For most scents CD 8

• Confused 1

• 4 months later...

I’m using the 110z tumbler from cs , they are now saying eco wicks may not be the best, try cd 14 or cd 16 . I’m having so much trouble with this wax 😩 I like the htp 105 the best but it leans one way, the eco wicks left a yellow color so Not adding dye doesn’t not seem to be a option. I just ordered large ribbon wicks 🤞🏻Hopefully these work! Good reviews I know i will still need to do a lot of testing, Can anyone help with the severe smoking just black smoke while it’s light, it’s awful I’m not using a 10 percent fragrance load 7 percent, figure I’ll work my way up to 10 percent definitely not there yet! 🤦🏼‍♀️

Edited by Pip

Pip, why do you feel you need to go up to 10%oil?   Just because the manufacturer says the wax can hold up to 10% oil, does not mean it is the right thing to do.   If you can't figure out your wick sizing now doesn't mean you won't if you keep at it and continue testing.   This takes time and patience.   Sooting and smoking is from over wicked candles and even to much oil clogs the wicks.   If you continue keep it at 6% which most of us use.     I wouldn't go over 7 maybe 7.5 percent oil to a pound of wax.   Your asking for trouble going over that amount and certainly I believe 10% is off the charts myself.   If you can't progress from there I would ditch that oil and move on......How long did these candles cure???That's important.  You need to give your candle a fighting chance to perform and rushing is certainly not going to help. Frustration is part of the game here too.   You say you like the htp's.   I still use them at times.  And they do curl, but the further down you burn them, the wax will catch up and clean the side walls.  Do you test burn all the way to the very end?   I'm thinking not and you give up way too soon, otherwise you would see how the wax does catch up.   We've all been there, done that.   Too much frustration?   Walk away and come back tomorrow and start over.    6006 is a very popular wax that so many use.   Search 6006 here and you will find tons of info.  Another bit of advice is don't jump around and give up on that wax and start looking for another wax when you haven't given this wax a fighting chance.  Over the course of the many years on this forum, I see so many do it all the time.  I get frustrated watching so many do this and I don't even use that wax.    Learn how your wax performs and get to know the wax inside and out.    have  KWIM?   Good luck! :D

Trappeur

• Like 7

Trappeur is right, 10% oil will cause more problems than it is worth. 6006 can be difficult to wick and higher FO percentages just make it harder. The biggest problem is your wicks will mushroom . A better plan is to reduce the percentage of FO and give your candles more time to cure.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/22/2019 at 11:51 AM, Pip said:

I’m using the 110z tumbler from cs , they are now saying eco wicks may not be the best, try cd 14 or cd 16 . I’m having so much trouble with this wax 😩 I like the htp 105 the best but it leans one way, the eco wicks left a yellow color so Not adding dye doesn’t not seem to be a option. I just ordered large ribbon wicks 🤞🏻Hopefully these work! Good reviews I know i will still need to do a lot of testing, Can anyone help with the severe smoking just black smoke while it’s light, it’s awful I’m not using a 10 percent fragrance load 7 percent, figure I’ll work my way up to 10 percent definitely not there yet! 🤦🏼‍♀️

I use an 11 oz tumbler with 6006 and I find that a CD 8 works well with many of my FO's.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I’m going to try 6 percent, I definitely did not let them cure long enough 24 hours. I was using GB 464 I was just so excited to test them. Also took orders before i was ready, i really thought how hard could it be. Wow i was wrong! I’m definitely sticking with this wax i have had good results, I love the way it looks I’m not getting the sink holes some people talk about. I’m just going to keep testing testing testing at 6 percent. Thank you everyone! 

21 hours ago, Trappeur said:

Pip, why do you feel you need to go up to 10%oil?   Just because the manufacturer says the wax can hold up to 10% oil, does not mean it is the right thing to do.   If you can't figure out your wick sizing now doesn't mean you won't if you keep at it and continue testing.   This takes time and patience.   Sooting and smoking is from over wicked candles and even to much oil clogs the wicks.   If you continue keep it at 6% which most of us use.     I wouldn't go over 7 maybe 7.5 percent oil to a pound of wax.   Your asking for trouble going over that amount and certainly I believe 10% is off the charts myself.   If you can't progress from there I would ditch that oil and move on......How long did these candles cure???That's important.  You need to give your candle a fighting chance to perform and rushing is certainly not going to help. Frustration is part of the game here too.   You say you like the htp's.   I still use them at times.  And they do curl, but the further down you burn them, the wax will catch up and clean the side walls.  Do you test burn all the way to the very end?   I'm thinking not and you give up way too soon, otherwise you would see how the wax does catch up.   We've all been there, done that.   Too much frustration?   Walk away and come back tomorrow and start over.    6006 is a very popular wax that so many use.   Search 6006 here and you will find tons of info.  Another bit of advice is don't jump around and give up on that wax and start looking for another wax when you haven't given this wax a fighting chance.  Over the course of the many years on this forum, I see so many do it all the time.  I get frustrated watching so many do this and I don't even use that wax.    Learn how your wax performs and get to know the wax inside and out.    have  KWIM?   Good luck! :D

Trappeur

I did burn all the way down with htp 105 , still wax left on the sides . Tomorrow I’m testing every single wick I own, I let them cure this time see if i get a different result. I’m going to use 6 percent , if i can get a good ht with 6 percent that’s great! Would save a lot of money! 

12 hours ago, Pip said:

I’m going to try 6 percent, I definitely did not let them cure long enough 24 hours. I was using GB 464 I was just so excited to test them. Also took orders before i was ready, i really thought how hard could it be. Wow i was wrong! I’m definitely sticking with this wax i have had good results, I love the way it looks I’m not getting the sink holes some people talk about. I’m just going to keep testing testing testing at 6 percent. Thank you everyone! 

I would strongly advise not selling anything until you have thoroughly tested and perfected your wax/wick/fo/container combo, AND have liability insurance.  As you stated, candle making is more complicated than it appears on the surface.  

• Like 1

Thank you Velma, I agree my fiancé keeps telling me to just put them out I’m not willing to do that ! Ruin my brand before i even grow one. I’m going to just keep testing everyone who has ordered i will make up for it with something extra, I have not taken money, I need to try to work with these jars candles science cost a ton in shipping alone ! I do have a lot of different jars that could be pretty nice so I’m going to test in those also 🤞🏻I read the reviews on cs everyone said they are using 7 percent so that’s why i figured i would start their, i also contacted cs they are now testing cd wicks instead of eco , so what do i do Order 100 pack of cd 14 cd 16 the size they suggested, awful just like a defected Yankee you buy on clearance, containers covered with black soot . This page is much more informative i appreciate everyone’s input . 

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/4/2018 at 10:35 AM, Forrest said:

Now if Forrest would just follow his wise advice

Thank you for your advice helped so much! I lowered my FO , i forgot who mentioned the wooden wick co . I tried a few of those because they sent me the wrong ones at first. I was very scared to work with a wood wick , I’m not finding trouble with it . With the right cure time and lowering my FO. I have never joined the conversation i have always came here for advice, thank you all ! Still have a lot to Learn 😩after two years never ending learning i love it though 

Edited by Pip
  • Like 1