Aroma Bead Ornies not working out

cswilson

For those using beads from Plastics4fun (yes they ship fast and prices can't be beat), can you share your trick for leather fragrances?  I started making these a few months ago.  I hear it takes longer to absorb so I started with 1 teaspoon in 8oz of beads and it still won't soak up.  I have the same issue with PinaColada.  I swear I had 1 tablespoon of oil and am now up to over a pound of beads and they are still wet two months later.  My most recent attempt is New Car Scent from Natures Garden.  I added 2oz of fragrance and 4 drops of dye to 1lb of beads...it's only been 24hrs, but it doesn't look like any of it has soaked up.

Any tips for this oh so popular, but very nerve wrecking scent, are appreciated :-)

On 9/22/2018 at 12:50 PM, cswilson said:

I baked the new beads for the first time and I am so disappointed. It was a major failure..... I was so impressed by how fast the beads soaked up the scent and then I tried to bake them and it was a disaster. I pre-heated my oven to 350 and put the beads in for 8 minutes. The edges were so melted that they were liquid. So I tried again and baked them for 6 minutes and they weren't melted in the middle. I tried it again at 7 minutes and the edges were liquid again. I thought it was my oven to I went and bought an oven thermometer and my oven was a little off by about 3 degrees but nothing else. I tried again, I turned the oven down to 340 for 10 minutes and most of the beads were liquid. I was so frustrated that I turned the oven off and let it cool down to try again. I put my oven on 375 like someone said they did and baked for 5 minuted and all the beads were liquid. I stopped and called pelletts4fun and ask them what I was doing wrong. The guy said the outside of the cookie cutter is getting too hot and melting the beads before the middle can melt and that I needed to turn the oven down and bake them longer. I turned it down to 330 and baked 8 minutes and the middle wasn't melted. The ONLY thing I can think of is that I'm using a metal cookie cutter that is actually painted yellow instead of just the regular metal color. Has anyone had any experiences like this? I'm so frustrated with all this and trying to figure it out that I'm just about ready to quit all together. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

You may need to turn your over down to even 300 and do a slightly longer bake...maybe your oven runs hotter than it says?  I baked mine at 350 and it took about 13 minutes.  I've had some odd issues like when I did the black texas with the blue stripe...and the blue stripe was completely melted, but the black was fine...so I'm wondering if color dye can affect it also.

I called Paul about this yesterday as well because I got a batch like this too. It is nothing we are doing. The molecular make-up of that batch of beads is different. Bake at lower temps was the suggestion I got. He did tell me the new batch I just ordered is the old beads I have grown to know and love. He called his supplier and they discussed this. So bake at lower temps. He suggested 300 for 10 minutes or so. I havent Tried it yet but I will keep you posted. 

14 minutes ago, Skk5233 said:

I called Paul about this yesterday as well because I got a batch like this too. It is nothing we are doing. The molecular make-up of that batch of beads is different. Bake at lower temps was the suggestion I got. He did tell me the new batch I just ordered is the old beads I have grown to know and love. He called his supplier and they discussed this. So bake at lower temps. He suggested 300 for 10 minutes or so. I havent Tried it yet but I will keep you posted. 

I must have gotten those my first order...and I think the blue I made with that batch...the black I made with the new one...makes sense now!  I still would love some tips on leather if you have any lol

32 minutes ago, Skk5233 said:

Did you make the leather with the first batch?

I did the pinacoloda in the first batch and leather with both batches.  I decided to test bake and it melts fine, but you can feel the oil on it...boo!  I've had no issues with Vanilla Bean Noel...and vanilla is suppose to be hard to soak up.  I've tried Leather from Wholesale Supplies Plus and New Car Scent from Nature's Garden.  I make bath bombs so those are a couple of my go to companies. 

I havwnt Tried new car yet and I get it from Nature’s Garden also. I havent Had any issues with my leather though. I order It from Lonestar or Texas Candle Company and it soaks up just fine. I wonder If it could be the oil. I have Not tried pina colada either because I have been working on fall scents 

20 hours ago, dpoudrier said:

For those using beads from Plastics4fun (yes they ship fast and prices can't be beat), can you share your trick for leather fragrances?  I started making these a few months ago.  I hear it takes longer to absorb so I started with 1 teaspoon in 8oz of beads and it still won't soak up.  I have the same issue with PinaColada.  I swear I had 1 tablespoon of oil and am now up to over a pound of beads and they are still wet two months later.  My most recent attempt is New Car Scent from Natures Garden.  I added 2oz of fragrance and 4 drops of dye to 1lb of beads...it's only been 24hrs, but it doesn't look like any of it has soaked up.

Any tips for this oh so popular, but very nerve wrecking scent, are appreciated 🙂

I have good luck with Candlesource leather oil ,soaks up super fast . I also do a cherry & vanilla leather . I add 1oz oil per cup = 6oz of beads .

On 9/29/2018 at 9:19 AM, katmeltswax said:

I have good luck with Candlesource leather oil ,soaks up super fast . I also do a cherry & vanilla leather . I add 1oz oil per cup = 6oz of beads .

Thanks!  My New Car Scent is actually behaving better than I thought.  It was not looking too great and today they were dry.  I added 1/3rd more ounces of oil to them...still below the recommended.  We'll see if they absorb this and I'll test a little more.  I'm so thankful they've absorbed half because the other one didn't at all and my SIL wants some custom ones for the football team in this scent LOL.  I even have to make a special cookie cutter...not too sure how that is going to work either.

• Like 1

How do you guys store your scents after they have been baked into shapes? Plastic tubs? Large bags? Of course, I place each One in their own individual bag, but I was curious to see how you store them to separate them by scent 

1 hour ago, Skk5233 said:

How do you guys store your scents after they have been baked into shapes? Plastic tubs? Large bags? Of course, I place each One in their own individual bag, but I was curious to see how you store them to separate them by scent 

I put mine in the polypropylene zip bags & store in a huge file cabinet I have ,away from the sun & light Keeps the scents fresh kwim .

On 9/30/2018 at 9:05 PM, dpoudrier said:

Thanks!  My New Car Scent is actually behaving better than I thought.  It was not looking too great and today they were dry.  I added 1/3rd more ounces of oil to them...still below the recommended.  We'll see if they absorb this and I'll test a little more.  I'm so thankful they've absorbed half because the other one didn't at all and my SIL wants some custom ones for the football team in this scent LOL.  I even have to make a special cookie cutter...not too sure how that is going to work either.

I find this interesting .How do you make your own cutters? What a great idea ! 

On 9/30/2018 at 10:18 PM, Skk5233 said:

OH wow I ‘m not sure how that would work either but I would love to be able to make my own! Let me know what you come up with!

I know one of the candle companies, maybe Cajun candles, carries a set where you can make your own cookie cutter. I think it's basically aluminum sheeting of some kind that you shape yourself.

Now on to the other discussion about the beads. I'm sort of relieved to hear that others are having issues with the pellets4fun beads, not that I wish it on anyone, but I thought I was the only one having problems. It sounds like maybe there is a new bead out there that the companies are buying and it's causing such bad results.

I've been apprehensive about making anymore since mine have turned out so bad. Maybe I'll try again at a lower temp for longer. Has anyone tried this yet to see if it works?

Edited by cswilson

I took my temp all the way down to 250 and still couldn’t get it right so I called him. I would call and complain about them or email at the very least so he knows we don’t like those beads. They don’t hold scent as well either. The beads I ordered when the premium beads first came out are amazing! I told him those were the best bead I had ever worked with so let’s hope he keeps those beads instead. 

• Like 1

On 9/28/2018 at 1:31 PM, Skk5233 said:

So are we all getting the old version now?  If so, no one should be having problems with them.  But, according to your post today, you still are having problems?

GoldieMN

1 hour ago, Skk5233 said:

I took my temp all the way down to 250 and still couldn’t get it right so I called him. I would call and complain about them or email at the very least so he knows we don’t like those beads. They don’t hold scent as well either. The beads I ordered when the premium beads first came out are amazing! I told him those were the best bead I had ever worked with so let’s hope he keeps those beads instead. 

I am so shocked to hear the beads are not working out .I will be placing a new order soon & compare .I am thinking I might better call him & ask if the beads are the same as the ones I purchased a while back . I want the same bc I loved the results & had no issues at all .In fact the beads were the best I ever worked with . I am Leary to order now ,fear they may not be the same .It's such a waste of money to invest &  cannot even use the beads . I will certainly talk to the owner & see what kind of info I can get. 

On 10/4/2018 at 8:36 AM, katmeltswax said:

I find this interesting .How do you make your own cutters? What a great idea ! 

I bought a kit on Amazon.  I roll of aluminum and some tools to help shape...I haven't been brave enough to try it though.

• Like 1