Color bleeding in M & P soap...Help!

LRed

Made some M & P soap (Stevenson's Triple butter) with imbedded colored chunks made of glycerin M & P (also Stevenson's). Looked great in the beginning but after about 2 weeks, the color in the chunks began to bleed through into the white T3 base. What am I doing wrong? What can I do to prevent the bleeding? Thanks, all!

IMG_3633.JPG

• Like 1

What colorants are you using? For M&P you need to use colorants specifically marked as non-bleeding - these are available from a number of companies - Brambleberry first comes to mind but I know at least several others also have them

Using soap liquid dyes from Candle Science. I guess I assumed they were non-bleeding. You know what they say about assuming! 🙄 I will research the non-bleeding dyes and get some micas to test. I purposely didn't use micas because I thought they were sometimes difficult to disperse through M & P bases quickly enough. Thanks for the recommendations!!

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/28/2018 at 2:43 PM, LRed said:

I purposely didn't use micas because I thought they were sometimes difficult to disperse through M & P bases quickly enough. Thanks for the recommendations!!

Micas will work great! The key will be to dilute with rubbing alcohol before adding to your base. As long as you do that you shouldn't see any trouble with clumping or color dispersement.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...