Respectful Request

I am still laid up and still just reading and making notes on about a million differerent things (as well as being too broke to actually do anything being off work anyway lol) but anyway, I have a request to make -

I know there are people who have been recently been doing wax/wix/jars testing as well as those who have a combination that they have down - how about sharing your info in a write up in the Wax and Wix Test section - It's nice having all the info in one section like that and there are a few that are in there but I sure would enjoy reading anyone else's tests results - It would be nice to have that section of the board filled up with write ups

Thanks

• Like 1

I think what is being asked is benign and just fine. Take a commonly available retail wax and test different wicks like I and moonshine have done with a few like 444, clarus 3020, etc.

once my summer event is over (September) I plan to get back to it. I fell short of one a month when I had to scramble again for a safe candle formula to offer this summer. It took nearly a year AGAIN! Ugh! 

I have several waxes on the shelf to test for you:

clarus 3022

j233

new c3

c3 with USA, etc. 

• Like 1

I apologise - I did not mean to offend anyone - I just remember the old board where the wix and wax section was as full of posts as the rest of the categories - I see people posting their testing in the general section and thought maybe writing it up and putting it in the actual wix and wax section might be nice

• Thanks 1

Well...I can share my limited successes...because in my opinion I have only had one that was truly a success.. and sadly..It has gone the way of the dinosaur.  CB135 wax (discontinued) in a Spa Cup with a HTP52 wick (thanks Canwax).  Burnt perfect, looked great...put it any container like a small mason jar, or whatever, with some Dollar Tree pebbles, or glass beads..and it was great.   And I have had great success with firestarters..lol.   All the failed testers remelted into paper cups with wood chips..easy peasy, and work great.  Other than that...its still a work in progress...Im still searching the forums for the perfect combo..and thankfully I do have a 9-5....

I now understand how much work (and money) goes into making the perfect candle, which I didn't realize until I tried it...and I truly admire those of you that have been able to do it successfully..!!

• Like 4

• 4 months later...
On 7/1/2018 at 12:18 AM, Gary in Canada said:

I now understand how much work (and money) goes into making the perfect candle, which I didn't realize until I tried it...and I truly admire those of you that have been able to do it successfully..!!

I certainly agree with you @Gary in Canada. I have a lot of respect and admiration for the successful people in this business on this forum and otherwise.  :bow:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jenni Wix said:

I can try to post more results with c6, not that anyone else is using it.  😄 I like the throw, price, and I don't feel like trying a ton of other waxes.  

Oh gosh, yes, please do share any info on the c6 wax. That would be wonderful. I'm not familiar with it but may want to try it and I like what you are saying about it. I too don't like having to try a hundred different waxes (I finally lose it) or having to create my own custom blend while standing on one foot, taping my head and rubbing my belly and praying that I did it in the correct order. LOL! :dance2:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 6/28/2018 at 8:04 AM, Barbara AL said:

I spent a lot of money testing why would I share that?

🤫🤫🤭

This is how TallTayl recently explained this ...

"Let’s all remember why we are here. This is a sharing site. We were all beginners once. We were all new to a community once.  We are all ‘broken’ in some way outside of the community an seek an escape from the unpleasantness of the outside world.  We found each other here to enjoy a community that lifts our crafting skills allowing us to lift the next person. The knowledge shared by those before us is what propels us forward.  We put in the time and figure out new things, test new technology, and discover how to navigate these new wax and wick issues. We do it together. Not everyone fits the culture ..." 

I think that many of the experienced crafters here are more than willing to help, but I also do not feel that anyone should be expected to reveal what their arduous tests have taught them, rather beginners should be guided in the right direction and encouraged to do their own research and tests.  That's why if I ask a question and receive no reply, I take it as encouragement to go find my own answers, which I cheerfully do. As far as placing test results we want to share in a particular forum category, that's a nice idea for those who wish to do it.

• Like 2

For out of the box waxes and wicks, sharing observations of burns is really not that big of a deal, is it? When I stuck an array of wicks in a pan of C3 to compare burns did that really reveal any secret sauce? Sure was a nice revelation to me of how that new lot of wax was performing. Showed quite a few newbies and oldies different ways to test too.

Also passed on some pretty valuable info to quite a few oldies when soy waxes became terribly, dangerously different, cautioning everyone to test new waxes or potentially lose their businesses.  I learned that a very expensive hard way.  Sharing is caring.

Everyone gets something out of this place.  Surely little tidbits can be passed along without fear.

• Like 5

I don't think anyone here is afraid of sharing if they have the time to do it, kind of like answering questions, if you have the time or think you have something worthwhile to offer.  It seems that most crafters may have their unique methods that are simply something they have created ... some may share their techniques with friends, others might share them on a blog, or on a message board and others may not.  I've had a candle-related blog for several years that has some stuff on it that I've shared with people I'll never know, but I don't really have much time to devote to it, it's just there and it helps me to remember how I may have done something if I need to refresh my memory.  I wouldn't say that people who don't wish to share their findings on a board are uncaring people in any way, they are simply doing their craft and probably sharing the results of that with others in all sorts of ways.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, TallTayl said:

For out of the box waxes and wicks, sharing observations of burns is really not that big of a deal, is it? When I stuck an array of wicks in a pan of C3 to compare burns did that really reveal any secret sauce? Sure was a nice revelation to me of how that new lot of wax was performing. Showed quite a few newbies and oldies different ways to test too.

Also passed on some pretty valuable info to quite a few oldies when soy waxes became terribly, dangerously different, cautioning everyone to test new waxes or potentially lose their businesses.  I learned that a very expensive hard way.  Sharing is caring.

Everyone gets something out of this place.  Surely little tidbits can be passed along without fear.

I agree completely.  Baseline testing of "bare naked" wax and wicks should not be considered proprietary.  Anyone can melt wax and stick 30 different wicks in it and record the results.  Things get interesting when a specific fragrance oil from a specific manufacturer is added.  Now it's proprietary.  My biz used to be in a big warehouse and we had a retail store attached to the front.  Once a week or so, a retail customer would ask to see our production area and 9 out of 10 times I would kindly deny them, citing safety concerns.  On the few occasions that I did allow a competitor to tour our operation, I have to admit that I draped the shelves holding the gallons of fragrance oil with fabric, covering them up.  Blood, sweat, and tears to customize our fragrances I wasn't about to share with anyone.

• Like 2