Sticky aroma beads

Sarah S

On 8/2/2018 at 10:46 AM, katmeltswax said:

I ordered beads from Plastics also ,so far no complaints. The beads did absorb super fast & I to need to bake . I think I have finally found some good quality beads again .

I like this company ,super fast ship & great product .I will post the performance. I think the beads are going to work out just fine . I plan to order in bulk my next order.

"Plastics" also. . .do you mean you got them from "Plastic Pellets for Fun"?  I think that is where I ordered cornhole pellets from for cornhole bags.

GoldieMN

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, GoldieMN said:

"Plastics" also. . .do you mean you got them from "Plastic Pellets for Fun"?  I think that is where I ordered cornhole pellets from for cornhole bags.

GoldieMN

Yes I meant Plasticpellets4fun.

I like the fast ship & the premium beads . I highly recommend this company😀

3 hours ago, katmeltswax said:

I have had good results with the car freshners holding the scent . 

The scent is going strong now going on near 3 weeks .I have many testers trying the new beads & getting great feedback thus far . I have 2 vehicles of my own with freshners ,still smell as good as day 1 . I have not tried the sachet bags ,so cannot help with the issue here . I think maybe another type bead would benefit you on doing the sachets . The premium beads are made to melt & stick together like glue kwim. This co offers a variety of beads . 

Hope this helps !

Kat

I am sitting here laughing at myself. lol I have read on here  that the premium beads are  the best but everyone that wanted those kind  was melting them. I didn't even give it a thought that the kind of me ones wouldn't melt and that's what I needed. Thank you. I am going to order the weconomy ones. I was wondering if you can put the solar  crystal salts in your car instead? I know you can put them in sachets. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, ShelleyF said:

I am sitting here laughing at myself. lol I have read on here  that the premium beads are  the best but everyone that wanted those kind  was melting them. I didn't even give it a thought that the kind of me ones wouldn't melt and that's what I needed. Thank you. I am going to order the weconomy ones. I was wondering if you can put the solar  crystal salts in your car instead? I know you can put them in sachets. 

Shelly it's all good lol...This is what craft server is here for .

I have certainly learned so much here myself .I think the solar crystals will do fine in the car as freshners ,see no reason for them not to work . I highly doubt the salts will melt in the cars  ,the melting point on salt is super high kwim 😉

• Like 1

On 8/14/2018 at 3:59 PM, Margie Grajek said:

Hi.  Sticky beads are caused from too much of certain chemicals.  They also use these for glue, so you are getting some bad beads.

Also, not sure where you live but if you are having issues with 350, drop the temp down to 340 degrees. When it is really hot outside, it helps a lot.  I have been making freshies for a long time.

Are you curing your beads too?  That has a lot to do with how long they last.  I have a couple of great places I get them from and they are always the same and reasonably priced.

If you don't mind sharing, where do you get your beads? Several of us have had a terrible time getting quality beads.

• Like 1

On 8/15/2018 at 10:11 AM, katmeltswax said:

I only cured mine a few days ,handed out testers to friends & family & have received good feedback on performance. I am still smelling them in my cars as well . I really like these beads & very happy so far . Thanks for the tip on adding more oil if need be . I use 1 oz per cup & get good results. 😀

Kat what scents have you tested so far?

How thick are you making the melted bead ornaments?  The cookie cutters are about an inch.  Do you fill to the top of the cutter?  I made a few and stuck them in cars right away.  Didn't think about curing them so we will see how long they last.

I also mixed up some solar salt crystals with dye and fragrance oil, but they are taking a long time to dry even with adding more salt.  So I just took a few scoops off the top (those dried) and put them in a metal dish on my tart warmer.  Great throw so far (one day) lol!

So now the testing continues with "how long do they last".  If I can get these two products to sell, I will probably back away from the 464 candles as I'm so tired of struggling with one wick after another to get a good hot throw.

GoldieMN

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, GoldieMN said:

How thick are you making the melted bead ornaments?  The cookie cutters are about an inch.  Do you fill to the top of the cutter?  I made a few and stuck them in cars right away.  Didn't think about curing them so we will see how long they last.

I also mixed up some solar salt crystals with dye and fragrance oil, but they are taking a long time to dry even with adding more salt.  So I just took a few scoops off the top (those dried) and put them in a metal dish on my tart warmer.  Great throw so far (one day) lol!

So now the testing continues with "how long do they last".  If I can get these two products to sell, I will probably back away from the 464 candles as I'm so tired of struggling with one wick after another to get a good hot throw.

GoldieMN

In my copper cutters that are about an inch thick i fill Them all the way up. I do Let them cure an additional 5 to 7 days (sometimes more if time allows) once they are dry. 

On 8/21/2018 at 7:32 PM, Skk5233 said:

Kat what scents have you tested so far?

I have baked many scents 

Fairy Garden /Fragrance Buddy

Beautiful Day/Flaming

Mac Apple/Flaming

Blue Hawaii/Aztec

Pineapple/Aztec

Pearberry /Candlesource

Love Spell/ Candlesource

Cinnamon Stix/C source

Plus more with great results .

On 8/21/2018 at 9:21 PM, GoldieMN said:

GoldieMN

I fill the cutters near full ,leaving about a 1/4 in. from the top . 

I am super happy with the beads from Plasticpellets4fun supplier. 

How are your salts working out? 

Lol I know what you mean about candle making ,takes alot of time & patience right ..I make wax melts & only a hand full of candles atm. 

I love making car freshners 😀

22 hours ago, katmeltswax said:

Lol I know what you mean about candle making ,takes alot of time & patience right ..I make wax melts & only a hand full of candles atm. 

On August 21, 2018 at 11:00 PM, Skk5233 said:

In my copper cutters that are about an inch thick i fill Them all the way up. I do Let them cure an additional 5 to 7 days (sometimes more if time allows) once they are dry. 

I only fill my cutters about halfway up, so my ornies are maybe 1/2" thick. I also use the least amount of oil possible for good throw, so only about 25% of the weight of the beads. I'm trying to keep it cost effective. 😁

They seem to last forever, I've had the same one in my car for over two months now and I can still smell it (although it's pretty faint). I gave one to a friend several months ago, he keeps it in his gym bag to fight the gear funk. It's still smelling great. Bad for repeat business. 😂

To to touch on my original post, I made a huge batch the other day with NG's beads. The first round I baked, I put in the freezer to cool them off, and most of them stuck to the cutters again! 😭 I had even tried baking at a lower temp, and they had been dry for several days before I baked them. I was so sad. But then the second round out of the oven, I was in a rush and I unmolded them while they were still warm. Success!!! None of them stuck, they came out beautifully and I was the best looking batch I have made so far! So now I know to remove them from the cutters while still warm and pliant. It made a huge differences!

23 hours ago, katmeltswax said:

The salts are taking forever to dry; but the scoop from the top dried layer is maintaining a good throw in my tart warmer.  Not home for a few days, so will see if it continues when I turn it on again.  Now I need to figure out how to package without the oil seeping into the container.  I would like to use the bakery bags with the window or the foil-back plastic bags but need to investigate further to make sure aroma isn't zapped by the bag.  I bought little brown, glass bottles to include with the salts as well as sell as an add on.  Haven't gotten anywhere with labeling those yet.

The Plastipellets4fun ornies are working well in our cars.  Hung one in a small bathroom and need to check on that when I get back.  

I have to say, I'm getting a better throw with both than with candles so it has to be the wicks I'm using/testing.  

GoldieMN

2 hours ago, GoldieMN said:

@Sarah S Ok, I like the 1/2" as well.  Do you trim the little peaks around the edges?  Also, my beads are not completely melted smooth on top.  Are yours?  I'm baking at 350 for 10 minutes which is longer than suggested as it is.

GoldieMN

I baked mine at 370 for roughly 7 minutes and the top is still slightly bumpy abut i dont know that you can get the top smooth unless there is something on it to force the melted beads together. i wasn;t trying to get a smooth top just basing the time to bake them off someone else that has used the same beads.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, GoldieMN said:

@Sarah S Ok, I like the 1/2" as well.  Do you trim the little peaks around the edges?  Also, my beads are not completely melted smooth on top.  Are yours?  I'm baking at 350 for 10 minutes which is longer than suggested as it is.

GoldieMN

Mine are pretty bumpy on top, I feel like if I bake them too long I run the risk of baking out fragrance. This last round I set the oven at 340 and baked for about 8 minutes, and they look good. I do trim them up a bit to make them prettier, for some reason the peaks on the edges bother me a lot more than the bumpy top, lol.

I think  they're supposed to be bumpy. The ones I've made that are too smooth on top were usually melted looking. 

@Sarah S, I've read to never put them in the freezer. I don't remember where but I do remember reading that. You can let them cool completely and they should come out of the cutters pretty easy. I've pushed them out a little warm and also completely cooled off. 

I hope we all get the hang of this soon! I thought I had my process down and then BAM, aroma beads online changed their beads and it all seems like it's starting out for the first time! LOL!

• Like 2

You are so right Belinda! I feel Like I ‘m starting all over! I have Found with the PP4F beads if you leave them in the cutters to cool completely they are a little hard to get out of the cutters so i get Them out when they are still a little warm. The scent recipe of 1oz per 1cup of beads is working out great though!! 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 8/16/2018 at 4:52 PM, Belinda said:

If you don't mind sharing, where do you get your beads? Several of us have had a terrible time getting quality beads.

I have always gotten my beads from aroma beads online so not sure why you were having issues with them.  I Know they have recently switched to Prime, which means they are the top quality and will always be the same. 

If you made them and cooked immediately, that will not last.  Beads can always be salvaged.  You should be using 2 oz of oil to 1 lb of beads.  wait at least 4-5 days to cure them before cooking.  To the person whose beads fell out, they were not cooked long enough.  I always use the edge of a chopstick before I take them from the oven.  If it pops up with the stick, they need more time.  Everyone's oven is different. 

Been doing this for over 10 years.  If you do not like them, try www.buyitshipit.com  The have good quality beads. 

I tried the beads for fun.  They were crap!  The melt on them is way too low and they melted in the car and on the table at a craft show.

On 8/24/2018 at 7:31 AM, GoldieMN said:

GoldieMN

I always trim mine.  Looks more professional.  They should not be all the way melted.  If you cook them too long you are cooking out the fragrance.

On 8/24/2018 at 10:04 PM, Skk5233 said:

You are so right Belinda! I feel Like I ‘m starting all over! I have Found with the PP4F beads if you leave them in the cutters to cool completely they are a little hard to get out of the cutters so i get Them out when they are still a little warm. The scent recipe of 1oz per 1cup of beads is working out great though!! 

I did not like those beads at all!  They melted in the car and on the craft tale at a show!  Way too low of a melt. Use a digital scale. It is more accurate and and you will be more consistent.   Oils weigh different amounts so 1 oz of one oil may not be the same as another.  Over scenting does not make it stronger.  I always use 1 oz per 8 oz of beads or 2 oz per pound of beads.  Be sure you cure them or the fragrance will not last for more than a week.  There is a knack to making them for sure. I also use a candle mold release in my cookie cutters or I use the silicone molds.  One spray is good for 3-4 bakes. Take out the ornies while they are still a slight bit warm.  The freezer will not help.1263135940_christmastree.thumb.jpg.947db52b35a3da794f24d891b0ba6fd1.jpg

I am Not a fan of aromabeads online AT ALL!! They do not last!! Buy it ship it is the same company. It’s just her son. I’ve made the ornies with PP4F and done craft shows with them. They have NEVER melted. Not in the car, not at a craft show...never. I have cured and baked exactly to the specific instructions with the Aromabeads online and I can only get them to last 2 weeks at the MOST! The PP4F are lasting up to 6 weeks, some scents even longer! My mom has had a cinnamon vanilla in her truck for 2 months now! No one will make me believe you can get that out of aroma beads online! I’ve tried them over and over again!! PP4F did get a bad batch of beads a while back but I called and He replaced my beads. He called his supplier and they got it figured out immediately. I’m a fan. 

• Like 3

Same here Skk5233 ,I have had nothing but great results with Plasticpellets4fun premie beads .

I live in Texas & trust me our vehicles get Extremely hot here during the summer ,never had any of my car freshners melt & the scent has lasted beyond my expectations . I will continue to buy my beads from Plasticpellets4fun bc I get great results . I use 1 oz oil per 8 oz of beads ,soak up super duper fast .

Love these beads ! 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Margie Grajek said:

I have always gotten my beads from aroma beads online so not sure why you were having issues with them.  I Know they have recently switched to Prime, which means they are the top quality and will always be the same. 

If you made them and cooked immediately, that will not last.  Beads can always be salvaged.  You should be using 2 oz of oil to 1 lb of beads.  wait at least 4-5 days to cure them before cooking.  To the person whose beads fell out, they were not cooked long enough.  I always use the edge of a chopstick before I take them from the oven.  If it pops up with the stick, they need more time.  Everyone's oven is different. 

Been doing this for over 10 years.  If you do not like them, try www.buyitshipit.com  The have good quality beads. 

I tried the beads for fun.  They were crap!  The melt on them is way too low and they melted in the car and on the table at a craft show.

I always bought mine from them and also buy it ship it which is the same company. They had great beads but now they're crap! I've thrown away so many fresheners made with their beads and finally just took the last whole 10 pound bag I bought from them and threw it in the trash. I will never buy from aroma beads online or buy it ship it again. HUGE waste of money! I also ordered one of their fresheners and compared to mine it looked terrible and had hardly any smell to it at all. I'm glad you're having good luck but for a lot of us their beads are terrible now. I will buy from NG or Plasticpellets 4 fun or whatever their name is from now on unless they switch to bad beads like Aroma beads online did. If that happens I will quit making fresheners altogether. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Belinda said:

I always bought mine from them and also buy it ship it which is the same company. They had great beads but now they're crap! I've thrown away so many fresheners made with their beads and finally just took the last whole 10 pound bag I bought from them and threw it in the trash. I will never buy from aroma beads online or buy it ship it again. HUGE waste of money! I also ordered one of their fresheners and compared to mine it looked terrible and had hardly any smell to it at all. I'm glad you're having good luck but for a lot of us their beads are terrible now. I will buy from NG or Plasticpellets 4 fun or whatever their name is from now on unless they switch to bad beads like Aroma beads online did. If that happens I will quit making fresheners altogether. 

I agree with you Belinda 500% so terrible when you have to throw $ in the trash right . Lessons learned can be so costly at times . I will be staying with Plasticpellets4fun always ,fast ship,great beads & customer service is top notch .

They certainly have my future  business always Plasticpellets4fun at  least stepped up to the plate & resolved the issue .That's more than I have heard this other company has provided to their customers .Sorry you had to lose money on the Aroma & buy it ship beads . 

😇Kat 

• Like 1