Sticky aroma beads

Sarah S

On 8/15/2018 at 11:52 AM, GoldieMN said:

"Plastics" also. . .do you mean you got them from "Plastic Pellets for Fun"?  I think that is where I ordered cornhole pellets from for cornhole bags.

GoldieMN

I apologise Goldie ,as I did not see your question a while back ,not sure how or why I missed it .

Yes I meant Plasticpellets4fun having the really great beads .

I have never had a problem with the premium beads from this company,long lasting & soak up really fast too. I hope your getting great results as well . I  will be ordering more asap ,as I am out ATM. We are having some remodeling issues going on at home lately ,has caused me to put many things on hold . I am excited to get back to making  freshners , especially for the holiday season .

Kat 😇

@katmeltswax No problem.  I am using the Plasticpellets4fun with good results except for the box I got which were the problem beads.  Didn't realize it until I had made about 90 ornaments.  :(  Slowly testing those bad boys in my car to see if they are salable but have a good inventory to sell of the "good" beads in the meantime.  I just hate to throw them.

Thanks,

GoldieMN

• Like 2

15 hours ago, GoldieMN said:

@katmeltswax No problem.  I am using the Plasticpellets4fun with good results except for the box I got which were the problem beads.  Didn't realize it until I had made about 90 ornaments.  :(  Slowly testing those bad boys in my car to see if they are salable but have a good inventory to sell of the "good" beads in the meantime.  I just hate to throw them.

Thanks,

GoldieMN

Well I hope they work out for you in the long run . It would be terrible to lose out in 90 freshners . I know the time involved making these ,along with the expense .Keep me posted .

Kat

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
40 minutes ago, GoldieMN said:

Have any of you dried your PlasticPellets4Fun beads and baked immediately without a few days of curing?

GoldieMN

I've baked but only after a few days of soaking. They've turned out great. So much better than the ones I was getting from Aroma Beads online after they changed theirs.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Belinda said:

I've baked but only after a few days of soaking. They've turned out great. So much better than the ones I was getting from Aroma Beads online after they changed theirs.

Mine are dry after 2-3 days mixed in large glass jars.  I'm reading, now, that I should be letting them cure another three days before baking.  So you are saying you haven't been curing those additional three days, and you are getting long-lasting ornies?  I ask because I just made some without the extra curing and wondering if I shouldn't sell those.  Geez, I thought I had this down pat!

GoldieMN

1 hour ago, GoldieMN said:

Mine are dry after 2-3 days mixed in large glass jars.  I'm reading, now, that I should be letting them cure another three days before baking.  So you are saying you haven't been curing those additional three days, and you are getting long-lasting ornies?  I ask because I just made some without the extra curing and wondering if I shouldn't sell those.  Geez, I thought I had this down pat!

GoldieMN

I haven't baked any without the extra cure time so I can't say whether that affects them or not. I'm terrible about putting them on to soak and not baking for a couple of weeks sometime. I get too distracted LOL!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, GoldieMN said:

GoldieMN

Honestly though, I think when I first started I probably baked some as soon as they were dry. I also used to package them in polyethylene bags instead of polypropylene before I realized I had made a mistake and I honestly couldn't tell any difference. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Buy it Ship it beads is not the same company as Aroma Beads Online.  There are different owners.  

Are you curing your beads before you bake them ?  Do you folks send an email or call if you are having an issue?  cooking too long can mess up the beads, as can putting in too much oil or powder.  The customer service is very good. I have had the owner call me back on a holiday, weekend and evening.   I have talked to the owner on numerous occasions for other information.  They have had the same supplier for over 10 years, so not sure what you mean by switched beads.  What was the difference?   Things can change somewhat.  This is a small industry in the life of plastics.  That is why I only use Prime Resin Beads. The industry standards has a 5% ability, by law to be different.  They can "never" be exactly the same between Lots.

Do you have them confused with someone else?  I get 55 lb bags at a time.  No one ships for free.  It may say that but they are charging for it! If you are having issues, maybe you need to call and ask questions!  I have never seen anyone post a picture of what their ornies look like so I am posting mine.  Making a few here and there is not a good test of aroma beads.

Been doing this for over 10 years and I have tied everything out there.  Pellets for Fun beads do not work in hot weather. They were horrible! I tried them to compare and they took forever to absorb and I can bend the ornaments in half.  NOT a good thing.    Just my opinion.

Nothing against anyone, but if you are throwing something out, you are not experience at making aroma beads.  There is never a reason to throw something out and always a way to salvage.  I cook the beads at 335 for 9-10 minutes and they come out perfect, every time! Just a question, how many ornies are you making?  I am doing hundreds every month and trust me, if something did not work, I would not buy them.  As mentioned, just my opinion.  No one has to like it my opinion.

cow head.jpg

mudflap girl.jpg

• Like 1

Months ago, Pellets4Fun ordered a shipment of beads that they were told were the same premium beads as what they had been buying.  They were not and some of us had problems with the newer beads.  The company worked with us including replacing beads with the previous premium beads that no one had problems with.  Yes, I am inexperienced but problems I was having had to do with this odd shipment.  I worried about selling the ornies as I didn't want customers to buy them and be disappointed.  Neither me, others on this forum, or my customers have had problems with these beads melting even in the hottest car temperatures so not sure why were having problems.

Cost?  I'm paying $150 includes shipping for 50 lbs.  If I bought them from Buy It Ship It, it would cost me $210 for 55 lbs.  

Like you say, it is great we all don't have to order from the same company.  I never bought from Buy It Ship It so if someone commented on having problems with their beads from them, they will have to respond.

Sounds like you have a GREAT business!  I may just try baking at a lower temp just to see if there is any difference in the finish product. :)

GoldieMN

• Like 1

I"ve been making these for over 5 years and have made tons of them so I feel like I'm somewhat experienced, maybe not as experienced as you Margie, but I have made hundreds of them. I've bought beads from several suppliers over the years and then finally settled on Buy it Ship it as my main supplier because they were close to me, had great beads and great prices. I bought many beads from them and never had a problem. I had my technique down and my fresheners always came out great. The owner posted in her group that they were changing beads to Prime Beads. I ordered my usual order and had nothing but problems with them. I placed two more orders after that, weeks apart and both were horrible. I couldn't get them to cook right no matter what I did. Maybe I didn't have my temperature low enough, I don't know, but I had my methods down to a science with their other beads and never had a problem. Anyway, the last box I got from them was such a pain to work with that I just threw them out because I didn't want them to get mixed up with the good beads that I had found at Plastic Pellets 4 Fun. These are the same beads that Buy It Ship It used to sell or at least they act exactly the same. I haven't had any issues with these beads so I will stick with Plastic Pellets 4 Fun. They are working for me, they're reasonably priced and great customer service. I always had great customer service from Buy It ship it but their beads went to pot for me. As far as letting the owner know I was having problems, I did ask a question about it in the group and was told to get a heat gun. I purchased a heat gun but I knew if I ever found the great beads they used to have that I wouldn't need it. I tried it on a couple of fresheners but felt this was a waste of my time since I never had to use one with their old beads. As long as I'm getting what I consider to be the better beads from other places that's what I'll stick with. I'm not the only person that had trouble with their prime beads. I'm glad you're having good results with them. 

• Like 5

Yes, those do look nice Margie, but for me the scent lasted only a week, MAYBE two. Yes, I did all The things you suggested in your post and still the same results, PLUS they would never melt the same. The middle was never done and trust me, I played woth All heat and time settings. At some point you have to cut your losses because you are spending a MINT to get it right. I dont Have to do that with the company I use now And YES they do have FREE SHIPPING! 

• Like 3

On 8/15/2018 at 11:52 AM, GoldieMN said:

"Plastics" also. . .do you mean you got them from "Plastic Pellets for Fun"?  I think that is where I ordered cornhole pellets from for cornhole bags.

GoldieMN

I had issues with their beads from Plastic Pellets for Fun.  They melted on my  table during a show. I can fold them in half, they are so soft.

On 8/24/2018 at 9:00 PM, Belinda said:

I think  they're supposed to be bumpy. The ones I've made that are too smooth on top were usually melted looking. 

@Sarah S, I've read to never put them in the freezer. I don't remember where but I do remember reading that. You can let them cool completely and they should come out of the cutters pretty easy. I've pushed them out a little warm and also completely cooled off. 

I hope we all get the hang of this soon! I thought I had my process down and then BAM, aroma beads online changed their beads and it all seems like it's starting out for the first time! LOL!

NEVER let them cool completely or put them in the freezer.  That can cause you to loose your cutter. If you remove them when they are just slightly warm, they pop right out.  I also NEVER go without using a silicone spray first. What do you mean they changed their beads?  They used to have what is called WIDE SPEC, which means they are never the same and you do not know what is going into them.  Prime beads are done the same 99% of the time and a better quality.  When is the last time you used them?

Edited by Margie Grajek
added

On 11/24/2018 at 12:26 PM, Belinda said:

I haven't baked any without the extra cure time so I can't say whether that affects them or not. I'm terrible about putting them on to soak and not baking for a couple of weeks sometime. I get too distracted LOL!

Normally, curing will make them last longer, like making pickles or wine.  Better strength.

• 1 month later...
On 8/15/2018 at 9:50 AM, Skk5233 said:

Kat i have Also noticed that with my weaker scents like leather and vanillas i can Double scent them with the premium beads and it soaks it up just fine! Did you cure yours after they were dry? If so, how long? 

Where are you getting the leather scents from? I’ve tried a few from different sites and can’t find one I actually smell and like. Testing NG leather jacket today