Sticky aroma beads

Sarah S

I made a couple batches of aroma ornies today, and to my dismay the ornies stuck to my cookie cutters and would not come off! I stuck them in the freezer, pried them with a screwdriver, and pulled with pliers - they were practically melded to the cutters!

I've made ornies in the past with no issues, and I used the same method I always do... Has this happened to anyone else? I'm inclined to think its this batch of beads, I got them from a new supplier, but before I go ordering a new batch from my old supplier, I thought I would see if the issue is me, lol.

This was so bad, I actually tore apart one of my cutters (and fingers) trying to get that darn ornie out! 😭😭

I've had this happen to me a few times.  Actually had to toss out a few...cookie cutter and all. Has happened with beads from different suppliers. I though it was cuz I let them cool too long on the pan. But I also noticed when I got a new pan they are not sticking as much. 

• Like 1

Hmm, ok, maybe I just need new cookie cutters? The worst offenders were a little old, but a couple had only been used once before... I'm also wondering if my oven is running a little hot. I'll play with the variables. 

I got this last batch of beads from Aztec, previously I ordered from BC and NG, so I think I'll end up going back to NG just to be safe. I really liked their quality. 

Thank you for the input!

On 6/13/2018 at 11:35 AM, Sarah S said:

I made a couple batches of aroma ornies today, and to my dismay the ornies stuck to my cookie cutters and would not come off! I stuck them in the freezer, pried them with a screwdriver, and pulled with pliers - they were practically melded to the cutters!

I've made ornies in the past with no issues, and I used the same method I always do... Has this happened to anyone else? I'm inclined to think its this batch of beads, I got them from a new supplier, but before I go ordering a new batch from my old supplier, I thought I would see if the issue is me, lol.

This was so bad, I actually tore apart one of my cutters (and fingers) trying to get that darn ornie out! 😭😭

Have you tried spraying your cookie cutters with a little Pam or any non stick cooking spray ? This will keep the beads from sticking to the molds ,slides right out .I spray with Pam before filling the molds & never had the beads stick at all ,so far so good . Hope this helps 😀

• Like 3

My beads from AromaBeads online stick really bad! I’ve never had that problem from Aztec but my beads from Aztec weren’t holding scent at all so I switched. I tried NG and i did Really like those as well. 

• Like 2

On 6/15/2018 at 5:20 PM, Skk5233 said:

My beads from AromaBeads online stick really bad! I’ve never had that problem from Aztec but my beads from Aztec weren’t holding scent at all so I switched. I tried NG and i did Really like those as well. 

Have you noticed the beads from Aroma Beads changing the last few months? I used them for years and had great results and then they switched to a different bead and I've had nothing but problems with them. They claim they're the best beads on the market but I beg to differ.

Yah she told me I was having issues because i wasnt Using their oils! I am pretty sure all the beads are not doing as well because they are changing to EVA beads, which don’t hold scent well once they are melted. I just Can’t figure out where to get a better bead and why everyone is switching. I’m assuming because they are more cost-effective and most people don’t melt them. It’s like once they are out in a vehicle the extreme heat zaps the scent right out of them

2 hours ago, Skk5233 said:

Yah she told me I was having issues because i wasnt Using their oils! I am pretty sure all the beads are not doing as well because they are changing to EVA beads, which don’t hold scent well once they are melted. I just Can’t figure out where to get a better bead and why everyone is switching. I’m assuming because they are more cost-effective and most people don’t melt them. It’s like once they are out in a vehicle the extreme heat zaps the scent right out of them

Aroma beads is switching again? 

I wonder if putting them in organza bags would be better? I hate to do that since so many love the shapes but if they don't smell what else can be done. Why won't they just go back to their original beads for crying out loud! I don't mind paying more to get a good product.

• 1 month later...
On 6/18/2018 at 10:26 AM, Belinda said:

Aroma beads is switching again? 

I wonder if putting them in organza bags would be better? I hate to do that since so many love the shapes but if they don't smell what else can be done. Why won't they just go back to their original beads for crying out loud! I don't mind paying more to get a good product.

Don't waste your time!! I just tried to salvage the beads I bought from Aroma Beads online by making sachets out of them and the scent didn't last but two days. So now the beads I bought from them not only won't work for making the car freshies, but they are useless as sachets too.

On 7/25/2018 at 11:29 AM, cswilson said:

Don't waste your time!! I just tried to salvage the beads I bought from Aroma Beads online by making sachets out of them and the scent didn't last but two days. So now the beads I bought from them not only won't work for making the car freshies, but they are useless as sachets too.

I just dumped all of mine that I had from them. They used to have such good beads and now they're terrible! Try the ones from NG or Cajun or another website that I'll have to look up that I can't remember right now.

Mine from Cajun didn’t even last a week. I had To bite the bullet and purchase from Bitter Creek. I am Still playing with the ones from Plastic Pellets for fun. They soak up really quickly (even leather) and have even soaked up double my recipe once they dried but i haven’t baked the double recipe yet!

• Like 1

On 7/27/2018 at 9:31 AM, Skk5233 said:

Mine from Cajun didn’t even last a week. I had To bite the bullet and purchase from Bitter Creek. I am Still playing with the ones from Plastic Pellets for fun. They soak up really quickly (even leather) and have even soaked up double my recipe once they dried but i haven’t baked the double recipe yet!

I bought some from them too (Plastics Pellets 4 Fun) but haven't soaked them yet. Let me know how yours turn out. This has become so frustrating! 

It really has!! I even Bought one from another vendor at an event 2 days ago and put it in my car and the scent is already gone so i can Say it’s not just us (and I paid $13 for it!!!)! I really Enjoy making these and really hope i can Get this worked out soon!! 

On 7/27/2018 at 9:31 AM, Skk5233 said:

I ordered beads from Plastics also ,so far no complaints. The beads did absorb super fast & I to need to bake . I think I have finally found some good quality beads again .

I like this company ,super fast ship & great product .I will post the performance. I think the beads are going to work out just fine . I plan to order in bulk my next order.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi.  Sticky beads are caused from too much of certain chemicals.  They also use these for glue, so you are getting some bad beads.

Also, not sure where you live but if you are having issues with 350, drop the temp down to 340 degrees. When it is really hot outside, it helps a lot.  I have been making freshies for a long time.

Are you curing your beads too?  That has a lot to do with how long they last.  I have a couple of great places I get them from and they are always the same and reasonably priced.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This sounds like the whole soy wax problem bleeding over into aroma beads!  Geeze, when will it all level out again?  I haven't used beads in quite some time and never melted them but I have some in a jar with holes on top for over 2 years and still smell the apple cinnamon.  Wonder why they quit making those good beads?

I have a problem. I gave my daughter some aroma beads in an organza bag for her car. The beads have clumped together I side the bag and the scent is now gone. After only 2 weeks! Got from Plastic Pellets 4 Fun. They are a friendly company with great prices and lightning fast shipping. But these beads are not working. I got the premium beads. Or are the sachets not made for the car? Only as ornaments? I don't want to make ornaments. I do not use my oven hardly ever. It is too hot to turn it on and expensive also.

I am testing beads from Plastic Pellets 4 fun in ornaments.  I just stuck one I made in the car to test how long it lasts.  Hoping it lasts for atleast a month but only time will tell.  Sadly it seems to be hard to find beads that will last any length of time now.

Out of curiosity do you know if the beads ar jsut stuck together but can be popped apart or did they actually melt together?  If they actually melted I wonder if the car was to hot and it actually sapped the scent out of it due to all the heat.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, ShelleyF said:

I have a problem. I gave my daughter some aroma beads in an organza bag for her car. The beads have clumped together I side the bag and the scent is now gone. After only 2 weeks! Got from Plastic Pellets 4 Fun. They are a friendly company with great prices and lightning fast shipping. But these beads are not working. I got the premium beads. Or are the sachets not made for the car? Only as ornaments? I don't want to make ornaments. I do not use my oven hardly ever. It is too hot to turn it on and expensive also.

I find That their economy beads work better as sachet beads. Scent lasts much longer, they just don’t melt well. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Skk5233 said:

I find That their economy beads work better as sachet beads. Scent lasts much longer, they just don’t melt well. 

Thank you. I will get the economy bead since I don't want mine to melt. The difference in the price is hardly anything so that's why I had got the premium ones. 

12 hours ago, ShelleyF said:

I have had good results with the car freshners holding the scent . 

The scent is going strong now going on near 3 weeks .I have many testers trying the new beads & getting great feedback thus far . I have 2 vehicles of my own with freshners ,still smell as good as day 1 . I have not tried the sachet bags ,so cannot help with the issue here . I think maybe another type bead would benefit you on doing the sachets . The premium beads are made to melt & stick together like glue kwim. This co offers a variety of beads . 

Hope this helps !

Kat

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Skk5233 said:

Kat i have Also noticed that with my weaker scents like leather and vanillas i can Double scent them with the premium beads and it soaks it up just fine! Did you cure yours after they were dry? If so, how long? 

I only cured mine a few days ,handed out testers to friends & family & have received good feedback on performance. I am still smelling them in my cars as well . I really like these beads & very happy so far . Thanks for the tip on adding more oil if need be . I use 1 oz per cup & get good results. 😀