Rapid cooling Soy wax to maintain fragrance evaporation

It's me again , this time with a REAL question that isn't as stupid as my last! ( I hope...)  I have come across a USA shop called "Pure Integrity CAndles" that claims it has the strongest smelling soy candles. They say they have a "7 step pour process" ( http://www.pureintegrity.com/best-scented-candle.html#7step  ) that locks in the fragrance. Does anyone know how this works? through watching their tutorials on You Tube I have learnt that they ... use 100% soy wax / use 11% fragrance oil ( preferably natural - not synthetic) / heat wax then add fragrance @ 150F /COOL RAPIDLY AS POSSIBLE while mixing oil / then pour @110F . Has anybody else come across anything like this , or can elaborate on the cooling/mixing? I have been told by a manufacturer that some places mix the oil in for 10minutes ... and basically to "use a cake mixer and beat the s*#%t out of it" . Will this make sink holes or bubbles in the wax? Do I beat it while it's sitting in a sink of cold water ??? The rapid cooling is supposed to prevent the fragrance from evaporating off and lock it in the set wax quicker.  Thankyou for your time ..nighty night from DownUnder!

I don’t have time to read their propaganda process, but can tell you that I use a large fan to cool all of my waxes before pouring. 

My process requires that I heat the waxes to the recommended temps by the manufacturer before adding scent, mix very very well with a wide spatula, then sit the pour pots in front of a box fan, or over a powerful fan that can cool from the bottom. The bottom cool is the best imo since I can stir as the wax rapidly cools ensuring a great homogenous blend. 

Rapid cool means smaller crystal formation (less graining) so my tops are shinier and the FO molecules are evenly distributed which can mean little to no risk of “drift” as some in the candle world call it. Drift is a pretty word for incomplete blending which allows the fo to seep out of suspension, usually toward the bottom. 

Whipping wax would introduce a lot of air... not ideal for the type of candles i make IMO. 

• Like 7

10 minutes ago, TallTayl said:

I don’t have time to read their propaganda process, but can tell you that I use a large fan to cool all of my waxes before pouring. 

My process requires that I heat the waxes to the recommended temps by the manufacturer before adding scent, mix very very well with a wide spatula, then sit the pour pots in front of a box fan, or over a powerful fan that can cool from the bottom. The bottom cool is the best imo since I can stir as the wax rapidly cools ensuring a great homogenous blend. 

Rapid cool means smaller crystal formation (less graining) so my tops are shinier and the FO molecules are evenly distributed which can mean little to no risk of “drift” as some in the candle world call it. Drift is a pretty word for incomplete blending which allows the fo to seep out of suspension, usually toward the bottom. 

Whipping wax would introduce a lot of air... not ideal for the type of candles i make IMO. 

wow! I wasn'y expecting a reply that fast! thankyou So much . That makes a lot of sense ... I love reading your posts. The advice on here is always so professional and well explained. I will give it a go. TTFN  hahahahha tata for now!  PS.. Do you use metal or plastic pots? Plastic would cool faster?

Edited by obsessed
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, obsessed said:

... use 100% soy wax / use 11% fragrance oil ( preferably natural - not synthetic) 

I have nothing scientific to add to the discussion, but that made me go WTF?!?

Is that supposed to mean they use 11% essential oil? Are they $200 candles?? I know there are natural FOs out there, but they aren't cheap either. Statements like that smack of propaganda and make me doubt anything they have to say. I'm so glad we have this forum where we can get real, honest information!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

23 minutes ago, Sarah S said:

I have nothing scientific to add to the discussion, but that made me go WTF?!?

Is that supposed to mean they use 11% essential oil? Are they $200 candles?? I know there are natural FOs out there, but they aren't cheap either. Statements like that smack of propaganda and make me doubt anything they have to say. I'm so glad we have this forum where we can get real, honest information!

From there site it looks like they make there own fragrances using soybean oil as the carrier oil.  Honestly i still would not trust them in the least.  Cause 11% seems a bit high for a supposedly 100% soy wax.  I could be wrong but lets face it too many people like to claim they have the best smelling, all natural, and healthiest candles out there and most are just blowing smoke and feeding off people ignorance of candle products.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

OMG you guys crack me up! I think I've hit a sore point here LOL  I get sucked in with it all , I know.  I actually saw some Yankee candles today and opened one to see what the fuss is there. Well, what a mess they were! Really ugly coloured shiny paraffin candles with wonky wicks .... I'm amazed they are so popular. My cousin told me they are huge in the UK!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, bfroberts said:

I find it ironic that a company spouting that much hogwash is named "Pure Integrity."

HA.  Personally, that kind of BS is just what I'd expect from a company named Pure Integrity.   Along the lines of:  "I'm the most honest person you'll ever meet"   Ok sure....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

Beat the $%#@ out of it with a mixer? *deadhorse*  OMG, I'm laughing so hard!  I can only imagine how such a candle might turn out! Trust in the advice you get here, some of those candle sellers are whackadoodles and will not give you the reality of professional candle making that you will get here. This is where the PROS are, they have been making candles for years and years! :)  I am so grateful to have found this site.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 3 months later...