Jump to content

Recommended Posts

I started making candles this past summer of 2017. I started to keep financial records in January. Year to date (starting Jan. 1) I figure my percentage of freight costs is about 12% of the total I've spent. The total includes everything, items that had freight charges, items that had free shipping or that I bought at retail stores. 12% seems a little high to me. Is it?:unsure:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

12% seems pretty low to me. I'm happy when I can get shipping under 25% the total cost of my order. With the places that I pick up from and others that offer shipping deals, I'd estimate my total freight costs at around 15%. But that's just an estimate.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Quentin said:

The total includes everything, items that had freight charges, items that had free shipping or that I bought at retail stores.

 

4 hours ago, Sarah S said:

12% seems pretty low to me. I'm happy when I can get shipping under 25% the total cost of my order. With the places that I pick up from and others that offer shipping deals, I'd estimate my total freight costs at around 15%. But that's just an estimate.

Thanks. Glad to hear that I'm somewhat in line.:smile:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree with Sarah that 12% of total freight costs ytd is super low. I think when I did my end of year cost estimates in 2016 and 2017 (when I had to start shipping EVERYTHING because Peak screwed so many of us) my total shipping was somewhere around 20-25 % total cost. (If I'm remembering right - I'd have to look at my actual balance sheets to know for sure and they are at home with my financials) 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Jcandleattic said:

I agree with Sarah that 12% of total freight costs ytd is super low.

Thanks, good to know my stuff is going in the right direction.:yay:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Lighten Up said:

My next jar order is going to put my total at about 25% shipping.

The shipping on glassware seems to be the real killer. To add injury to insult, you also have the breakage factor there. You lose the shipping war on two fronts. I'm starting to see my % of freight creeping upward.

Q

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Quentin said:

The shipping on glassware seems to be the real killer. To add injury to insult, you also have the breakage factor there. You lose the shipping war on two fronts. I'm starting to see my % of freight creeping upward.

Q

Yes, I have to order by the pallet to get my shipping down to that.

 

I've had only a couple minor issues with breakage and they were addressed by the carrier. Once the pallet wasn't secured to the truck and the entire order slid around all over, even coming off the pallet, not much breakage there, but a pain to unload.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×