Jump to content
ncraiders

Favorite Melt/Tart waxes

Recommended Posts

I am curious on what everyones favorite type of tart/melt wax is.  This includes both veggie, paraffin, straight wax, or wax blends.  If it is a blend what you blended together as well as percentages.    I feel this could help others that might be looking at making tarts or melts on what others use and possibly why they use there favorite wax.  I am looking at making tarts and have not decided on a wax yet.  testing palm atm but most of our wax warmers cannot get hot enough for palm tarts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, ncraiders said:

I am curious on what everyones favorite type of tart/melt wax is.  This includes both veggie, paraffin, straight wax, or wax blends.  If it is a blend what you blended together as well as percentages.    I feel this could help others that might be looking at making tarts or melts on what others use and possibly why they use there favorite wax.  I am looking at making tarts and have not decided on a wax yet.  testing palm atm but most of our wax warmers cannot get hot enough for palm tarts.

 

There are endless combinations of wax for tarts, and everyone has their favorites!

Try searching the forum using the phrase "best wax for tarts", I bet you'll get over a dozen pages of hits. 😉

Most commonly people start with a hard wax (like your Palm) and add a softer wax until they get the performance they want. So if you're struggling with the palm alone, maybe add some soft container paraffin like IGI 4630 or CBL 125, or a soft soy like 415. 

But since you already have the palm, why not play with it a little more? The tarts I made with the pillar palm melted just fine EXCEPT in that darn Scentsy warmer. It melts them fine with our small fan on, but as soon as I turn on the ceiling fans it starts to solidify. 😡 I think I can get better throw too, but I'm changing some other variables with this next pour before I start blending waxes. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Sarah S said:

 

There are endless combinations of wax for tarts, and everyone has their favorites!

Try searching the forum using the phrase "best wax for tarts", I bet you'll get over a dozen pages of hits. 😉

Most commonly people start with a hard wax (like your Palm) and add a softer wax until they get the performance they want. So if you're struggling with the palm alone, maybe add some soft container paraffin like IGI 4630 or CBL 125, or a soft soy like 415. 

But since you already have the palm, why not play with it a little more? The tarts I made with the pillar palm melted just fine EXCEPT in that darn Scentsy warmer. It melts them fine with our small fan on, but as soon as I turn on the ceiling fans it starts to solidify. 😡 I think I can get better throw too, but I'm changing some other variables with this next pour before I start blending waxes. 

Lol I was meaning this to be more of a let people post there wax of choice.  That way it gives people that wanna start making melts different options.  Some of which might be wax they already have and didn't think would work good for wax melts.  my bad for not making that part clear in my original post. I ment this to be like the soy and soy blend post in the veggie wax section.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are some great waxes formulated for making tarts on the market. That is a good starting point.  Most people that are using their own blends have a lot of time and money invested in testing to arrive at that blend, and they may not want to divulge specific information.  For most things, I use a blend of container & pillar paraffins.  For the holidays I like using palm.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, bfroberts said:

There are some great waxes formulated for making tarts on the market. That is a good starting point.  Most people that are using their own blends have a lot of time and money invested in testing to arrive at that blend, and they may not want to divulge specific information.  For most things, I use a blend of container & pillar paraffins.  For the holidays I like using palm.

Hi ... I am a little confused as to why the holidays wax you use is different. I use GW tart wax which I like , but find it is a little hard at the moment in a plug - in melter as it is winter here.I have some palm wax for containers , but it is very hard wax! Just trying to understand the theory behind it . thankyou

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, obsessed said:

Hi ... I am a little confused as to why the holidays wax you use is different. I use GW tart wax which I like , but find it is a little hard at the moment in a plug - in melter as it is winter here.I have some palm wax for containers , but it is very hard wax! Just trying to understand the theory behind it . thankyou

The palm wax just looks nice and festive for the holidays.  You can add a bit of soy to soften the palm without losing the crystal patterns.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, bfroberts said:

The palm wax just looks nice and festive for the holidays.  You can add a bit of soy to soften the palm without losing the crystal patterns.

Oh I get it LOL thankyou for being so prompt! Just jumped into bed with icy toes and thought I'd bring my laptop.  It's a bit of a dud for me doing icicles here at christmas as it it usually boiling xx

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/11/2018 at 8:39 AM, obsessed said:

Oh I get it LOL thankyou for being so prompt! Just jumped into bed with icy toes and thought I'd bring my laptop.  It's a bit of a dud for me doing icicles here at christmas as it it usually boiling xx

Oh wow! I bet that is a little hard having summer time during the holidays. I live in Texas and sometimes it gets warm here during Thanksgiving and Christmas and I absolutely hate it. In fact it depresses me LOL! I want it to be cold at Christmas! Do y'all have really cold weather there during your winter season? I've always wanted to go to Australia.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Candlewic 129 is a great wax for melts. I also like 4625/4630 blend . I noticed the other day Candles& Supplies has a tart blend ,never tried this one . I was thinking about placing a order for 10 lbs ,just to see what kind of results I get .I noticed some oils I would like to try from them as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, katmeltswax said:

Candlewic 129 is a great wax for melts. I also like 4625/4630 blend . I noticed the other day Candles& Supplies has a tart blend ,never tried this one . I was thinking about placing a order for 10 lbs ,just to see what kind of results I get .I noticed some oils I would like to try from them as well.

If you do order some of that wax to test let me know how well it works..

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, ncraiders said:

If you do order some of that wax to test let me know how well it works..

I certainly will let you know 😀

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have only ever used EcoSoya CB-135 mixed with beeswax.  I'm down to my final case (I hoarded them), so I'm having to switch.  GW415 is at the top of my list.  I also got a sample of KY Pure Soy.  I use about 20% blanched beeswax to 80% soy.  I feel for every crafter that has had to switch brands/formulas.  It's a lot of money, time and effort to find a replacement that doesn't screw everything up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×