Palm 2 Crystalizing votive and pillar wax

Tried my hand at this wax for the first time....it’s so stunning and wow do I ever have a lot to learn 😂

note to self.....get those plugs or sealer for sure so you don’t have the amazon river flowing through your house - pouring this that hot was a challenge 

second note to self...when it does flood out don’t grab the aluminum mold filled with 180 degree wax with your bare hand- not a good idea just saying 💁‍♀️

But for a newb with this pillar wax I am pretty pleased if I do say so myself 🤣

3E4144A5-47BF-4809-BDC5-73A1CAB19D84.jpeg

Edited by moonshine
  • Like 8

Thanks everyone.....now to see if they burn awesome 🙈

I have no clue what I’m doing with pillars but needed a break from the usual and the struggles of soy and they are so fun to see what you get when you remove them from the mold 

my feather palm sample they forgot to put in the box so I will have that tomorrow and can play with that 

I went with candlewic because they sell 5 pounds, I didn’t want to get roped into a case not knowing if I even like it and shipping to me from them is pretty reasonable - well considering what all the shipping has sky rocketed to 

Edited by moonshine

14 hours ago, moonshine said:

Thanks everyone.....now to see if they burn awesome 🙈

I have no clue what I’m doing with pillars but needed a break from the usual and the struggles of soy and they are so fun to see what you get when you remove them from the mold 

my feather palm sample they forgot to put in the box so I will have that tomorrow and can play with that 

I went with candlewic because they sell 5 pounds, I didn’t want to get roped into a case not knowing if I even like it and shipping to me from them is pretty reasonable - well considering what all the shipping has sky rocketed to 

I am interested to see what you think of the feather palm when you try it.  I've been using both this week and I think I prefer the feather palm.  I like the look of the crystallizing palm a bit better, but the feather palm has been a true one pour wax for me.  No air pockets, and it's not as finicky about pour temp, insulating, etc.

I'm still doing test burns.  That part is taking forever, but I'm encouraged enough that I've already ordered more wax.

Yes these air pockets in the crystal palm are a PIA.... But wow does it throw when burning  and they are stunning to look at- I think I over wicked but hey it’s all good - Learning experience 

I got the feather palm today and plan tonight or tomorrow to make a couple of those 👏👏

• Like 1

I made the feather palm and I’m not sure how I feel about it 

I did everything it said to unlike the crystal palm, I heated the molds, I wrapped them in paper towel which was supposed to intensify the feathering and I poured at 200 - I did relief holes and tried to just fill those not going over but it did a little bit and I had to heat gun that off the bottom of the candles 

I had no leaks this time but I have hardly any pattern at all and they were so hard to get out of the molds - so hard 

a little disappointing, I’m thinking next round I should do more like rustics and pour into cold molds and maybe even use ice cubes on the outside like I read about 🤷‍♀️

I will light them up tonight and see if they throw as well as the crystal palm and see how I guessed on this wicking 😂

F3788F3F-9F0A-4CEB-8B6A-0C5BFAB379E6.jpeg

Edited by moonshine
  • Like 1

Instead of heat grunning the bottoms have you tried just using a griddle? Did you heat the bottom while still in the molds? When I used feather after reading about it here, I didn’t heat my molds. That sounds like a pain! I did put the molds inside a styrofoam cooler though. Turned it upside down so I could pour with the molds seated on the lid, then just placed the larger bottom piece over top. I remember it being a lot more forgiving that way. Loved the burn of them!

I did use a griddle to even out the bottoms but I had a layer of wax towards the bottom of the pillar which was actually the top when pouring from the overpour if that makes sense - I couldn’t scrape it off so I just hit it with a heat gun to melt it off - it was the sides of the candle towards the bottom - not really the bottom bottom I didn’t word that right 

now let me ask you this - leveling the bottoms on a griddle has been a PIA for me - I cut the wick right at level of the bottom and I still can’t get them perfectly level - they tend to tip to one side when laying flat because of that hump in the middle where the wick is - how do you do that successfully? 🙃

If the wick makes a bump, a paring knife sometimes helps to target the area and make a small depression.

i have a hard time leveling pillars on a good day. Haha. My counter tops are not level in the shop, and the griddle has a tilt. So I recommend my people use a base of sand or salt to seat the candle. Not elegant, but they like the idea.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, moonshine said:

now let me ask you this - leveling the bottoms on a griddle has been a PIA for me - I cut the wick right at level of the bottom and I still can’t get them perfectly level - they tend to tip to one side when laying flat because of that hump in the middle where the wick is - how do you do that successfully? 🙃

I use one of my wick pins to 'push" the wick up into itself in the wax, then I level. (Hope that makes sense!) then there is no bump because there is no base of the wick to get in the way. 

This is much easier to do with paraffin that it is in palm, but I can still do it. 

• Thanks 1

Also, love your palm pillars. Personally I much prefer the look of the crystalizing pillar palm (or starburst palm) than I do of feather palm. 

I have so many different palm waxes I found when deep cleaning my lab this weekend, I have to research whether it's container or pillar wax. LOL I have Astor G, PQ, Q, and a couple others I can't remember the signifiers of. and yes, that's how long I've had the waxes, back when Astorlite manufactured them. :)

• Thanks 1

I guess since we've been traveling, I missed this post! I like both effects, they turned out really nice. May I ask the diameter of the feathered palm candles and which wick you used? I have some feather palm sitting here to test, but I don't think I have wicks for that wax yet. 

They are 3.5” diameter X 4.5 and 6.5 tall

I went with RRD on both since they were second runner up with glass glow container palm and candlewic sells it by the spool which is needed for these for the length and you can’t get CSN by the spool

The crystal palm seems a little over wicked so far with 40 and the feather a little under with the 37 🤷‍♀️

Gotta burn them down to be sure and see if I get blow outs or to much of a shell 

Edited by moonshine

I've been having a blast with these palm waxes from CW.  I ordered more of the feather palm.  Decided not to go with the crystalizing palm.  The patterns are more subtle with the feather palm, but I kinda like it that way.  Plus, the repours with the crystalizing palm were killing me.  I haven't had to do a single repour with the feather palm.  The throw is outstanding with both.

Edited by bfroberts
  • Thanks 1

Are you finding feather needs a little bigger wicking?  I haven’t burned them long enough to know where I’m at really but it seems feather is more firm 

I’m liking it more and more now, I do like how matte it is in comparison to crystal 

1 hour ago, moonshine said:

Are you finding feather needs a little bigger wicking?  I haven’t burned them long enough to know where I’m at really but it seems feather is more firm 

I’m liking it more and more now, I do like how matte it is in comparison to crystal 

At this point, I'm not finding much difference, but I haven't been very systematic in my testing.  I started with HTP, then tried CD and finally settled on CSN.  The same size CSN seems to work equally well in both, but I've tested more of the feather than the crystalizing.  I've haven't tried any heavy FO's to see what kind of difference that would make.