Selling beer can candles

10 minutes ago, ncraiders said:

i think the better question is how well would a candle burn in a beer can?

I would imagine it would be like a candle tin. I imagine, lol!

@Trappeur, I think it would depend on the can, don't you? Like a Budweiser candle might get a little action at a flea market, but you'd have to go with one of those fancy imports if you wanted to get in a boutique. 😉

• Haha 1

I have seen beer bottle candles at craft shows...somehow they cut the tops and then fill it with nasty smelling wax and call it good 😂🤦‍♀️

I would think a special licensing or permission would be needed if the brand is still on the can and beer cans are so flimsy not real sure it would work but now inquiring minds want to know what your up too 😂

11 minutes ago, moonshine said:

I have seen beer bottle candles at craft shows...somehow they cut the tops and then fill it with nasty smelling wax and call it good 😂🤦‍♀️

I would think a special licensing or permission would be needed if the brand is still on the can and beer cans are so flimsy not real sure it would work but now inquiring minds want to know what your up too 😂

I know how they cut the tops but man filling it with nasty smelling wax that is justbad.  If i was to use a bottle i would rather use a wine bottle over a beer bottle.  It would be interesting to see how well a beer can candle would burn.

A 13yo  kid named Hart Main started a little business a while back called “man cans”. Don’t think he knew the urban dictionary definition of that name. Lol. he used old tin cans. Last I knew it was still open for business. There’s a market for everyone I spose. Beer cans are really flimsy though.

I give the Man Can kid a lot of credit! He's now 20 :)  http://www.timesreporter.com/article/20150720/NEWS/150729951

I would think, however, that using real beer cans may be an infringement. You'd have to look into that. I think I would probably sell beer scented stuff anywhere I sell, because the women shoppers will buy them as gifts. I did see some beer scented candles and soaps in a local gift shop not too long ago. You could also try to get a deal with Cabela's, or any outdoor gear type stores where a lot of men would shop. 

Edited by Hopie
  • Like 1

To avoid potential copyright and/or trademark infringements, and eliminate flimsy containers, Libbey makes a glass “can” container. A cute label could totally work to be unique and sell a buttload of clever candles. 

There must be some article somewhere that describes the copyright and trademark rules for repurposed containers. This can be viewed as someone profiting from the established trademark of a brand. Many thanks for anyone who can find a good legal article about it. 

An example: https://www.cigarboxguitar.com/knowledge-base/legal-considerations-of-repurposing-branded-products-for-resale/

I will add that I have seen a guy selling beer can wind chimes and other items like it at swap meets and flea markets, so I guess it is a "gray area", indeed.

Edited by Hopie
  • Like 1

Technically you should be safe from trademark issues but seeing as it is kind of a grey area I imagine if a company wanted to they could take you to court for it just to try and stop you even if they lost the case.  I myself would rather just buy the beer can shaped glass jar that is being sold and put whatever label i wanted to on it.  To me that gives you way more room to make it look nice.  Heck i don't drink but would probably buy a candle in a beer can shaped jar just because it is different.  Heck i had thought about buying some of them to mess around with palm wax.  Not to mention you can actually get those beer can jars custom engraved as well.  here is a link to the 16 oz version there is also a 20 oz version and this is for the customizable beer can jar https://www.webstaurantstore.com/libbey-209-16-oz-customizable-can-glass-case/551209.html 

Edited by ncraiders
  • Like 1

lol just read some comments made by attorney's about reusing bottle with name brand labels on it and there were lawyers with  opinions on each going both ways,  a few said it was fine others said that they could easily be breaking trademark laws.  After reading that I honestly wouldn't even try it.  To me it is to risky to even chance it.

• Like 2

I wouldn't personally try to use a licensed logo, but would create my own beer logo if I were to make the candles. Those beer can jars are neat looking, but could they stand up to candle use? I know I've seen those thick glass beer mugs that may be better suited. I don't know if they would work for burning candles, either, but that might be worth the college try.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Hopie said:

I wouldn't personally try to use a licensed logo, but would create my own beer logo if I were to make the candles. Those beer can jars are neat looking, but could they stand up to candle use? I know I've seen those thick glass beer mugs that may be better suited. I don't know if they would work for burning candles, either, but that might be worth the college try.

I would think you would more than likely be safe burning a candle in it with maybe a reuses.  i don't think it would hold up as well as other jars for excessive reuse..  I wouldn't reuse the jar a dozen times tho.  Well maybe in one jar i would just for testing purposes.  Just a one and done candle jar lol.

15 hours ago, Trappeur said:

What kind of store would you go to to try and sell candles made in beer cans? lol

Trappeur

Okay... I'll bite. 

I dunno Trapp, in what kind of store WOULD YOU go to try and sell candles made in beer cans? 

A CANadian store perhaps?   

• Haha 3

My sisters from Maine and Texas totally surprized me with a visit here to my house in Georgia last week and just left 2 days ago.  My one sister from Maine who actually got me into the candle making has been making candles for years and she sells to shops and has a booth in a shop on the ocean up in Maine and she and I were talking and she told me she was pouring a bunch of beer can candles to bring to her shop.  I didn't know she even was making them, but she makes all sorts of beautiful candles and this really sparked my interest as we were talking.  She actually buys the vintage real beer cans off of ebay or in her antiquing trips.  She doesn't make a lot of them, but she makes them and they sell.  She sells them I think she said like 12.99 a candle but she doesn't use "beer" scents but normal scents which is what I was thinking of....I don't know....it really sounds so different and rather different and geesh with all my friends who are beer drinkers, hell I thought, wow!....now wouldn't that be cool to do something like that and I could get all the free beer cans from buddies of mine...heck, I go usually once every couple of months with garbage bags and bags and bags of empty beer cans to the salvage metal place here and I turn them in as it is metal and they pay me for the cans....!....So you see where my mind is going?   But they are flimsy....but then so is a tin....My mind is just a thinking....your know?   If you google "beer can candles" and click on images, wow....! a lot of people make them and I see lots on Etsy...here is a picture of an Etsy store...heck, she might be even on the board here...ha!  who knows? lol.....So I was wondering what type of store would buy something like that, that is if I even attempted to try it...but I like the idea of what you all have said about getting glass jars in the shape of a can and making them properly and safely as I agree a tin beer can would be flimsy...but I was wondering just what type of store would possibly buy something like this...a novelty?, maybe a pawn shop (I'm not going to a pawn shop), even though I have pawned things...lol...then I thought about a gun store....then like Cabelas like someone mentioned, maybe a head shop or a biker shop....   I mean, would someone even be interested to buy such a thing?   Maybe it leans more towards a gag gift....?

Trappeur

beer can candle.jpg

I'm sure it can be done as tins can be done and you'd be one to figure it out.   I have a candle that came in a metal container and it is so over wicked and hot.  Entire thing turns to liquid in under 2 hours and container is scorching.  Prob 4-5" high container about same diam as a beer can just not quite as tall.  I think I'd market to biker shops, gun stores, maybe even antique stores or vintage stores in your area.  I don't see them selling in bars, but hey, who knows till you try??

I think they would sell pretty much anywhere, because it doesn't have to just be traditional beer cans.  You could do things like Angry Orchard, Redd's Apple/Peach/Strawberry Ale, Twisted Tea, the Lime-A-Ritas, Smirnoff Spiked Seltzers.....and with things like that you could kinda match the scent to the product.

21 hours ago, Trappeur said:

What kind of store would you go to to try and sell candles made in beer cans? lol

Trappeur

A brewery that you can use their logo, cans, - that way ...

21 hours ago, Trappeur said:

Also would that be trademark infringement?

Trappeur

not if you used their - then you'd be in the clear! 

28 minutes ago, Trappeur said:

My sisters from Maine and Texas totally surprized me with a visit here to my house in Georgia last week and just left 2 days ago.  My one sister from Maine who actually got me into the candle making has been making candles for years and she sells to shops and has a booth in a shop on the ocean up in Maine and she and I were talking and she told me she was pouring a bunch of beer can candles to bring to her shop.  I didn't know she even was making them, but she makes all sorts of beautiful candles and this really sparked my interest as we were talking.  She actually buys the vintage real beer cans off of ebay or in her antiquing trips.  She doesn't make a lot of them, but she makes them and they sell.  She sells them I think she said like 12.99 a candle but she doesn't use "beer" scents but normal scents which is what I was thinking of....I don't know....it really sounds so different and rather different and geesh with all my friends who are beer drinkers, hell I thought, wow!....now wouldn't that be cool to do something like that and I could get all the free beer cans from buddies of mine...heck, I go usually once every couple of months with garbage bags and bags and bags of empty beer cans to the salvage metal place here and I turn them in as it is metal and they pay me for the cans....!....So you see where my mind is going?   But they are flimsy....but then so is a tin....My mind is just a thinking....your know?   If you google "beer can candles" and click on images, wow....! a lot of people make them and I see lots on Etsy...here is a picture of an Etsy store...heck, she might be even on the board here...ha!  who knows? lol.....So I was wondering what type of store would buy something like that, that is if I even attempted to try it...but I like the idea of what you all have said about getting glass jars in the shape of a can and making them properly and safely as I agree a tin beer can would be flimsy...but I was wondering just what type of store would possibly buy something like this...a novelty?, maybe a pawn shop (I'm not going to a pawn shop), even though I have pawned things...lol...then I thought about a gun store....then like Cabelas like someone mentioned, maybe a head shop or a biker shop....   I mean, would someone even be interested to buy such a thing?   Maybe it leans more towards a gag gift....?

Trappeur

beer can candle.jpg

I would be leery pouring in national brands like this however, because you could be looking at licensing issues. Personally, I wouldn't chance it. 

I would definately buy one of those beer can candles to try..  I made a beer bottle candle..cut it the beer bottle, not problem, but wow, what a lot of work to get the cut edge smooth..I poured the candle, but a beer bottle is not that wide so it was hard to trim the wick when it got down to the lower part.  It did give a nice glow  from the amber bottle though.

• 3 weeks later...

These days beer cans are coated with polymer lining  made with BPA. I would  want to know what gasses it might put off when heated before I put a candle in it. Vintage cans wouldn't have that problem.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Forrest said:

These days beer cans are coated with polymer lining  made with BPA. I would  want to know what gasses it might put off when heated before I put a candle in it. Vintage cans wouldn't have that problem.

Really?   Ok........that ends this venture....thanks for telling me that.

Trappeur