Equestrian inspired scent ideas

Lnewbie76

My parents have  always owned a few horses and everything equestrian is basically the center of their universe. I want  to make a set of candles for them based on my memories growing up as a special gift.  I am most excited at the idea  of a layered scent “Trailride” candle- top layer a sweet grassy smell ( hay/alfalfa) middle a leather smell( saddle/ tack) and bottom an earthy, woodsy scent ( scent

of the trail through the woods). Could anyone share some scent/ fragrance oil suggestions to match these descriptors? I usually just kind of dive in and buy oils but  I feel I may encounter  enough difficulty with the leather and woodsy scents that I should research a bit before purchasing. Any suggested spins on this idea would be welcome also! Thanks so much! 

At Bitter Creek they have a fragrance called Horse. I have not personally smelled it, but they claim it has all the above notes.

If you're looking to mix your own, do you have any of those fragrances on hand? Or do you have a supplier you prefer to order from? Most suppliers carry a grass fragrance, a leather fragrance, and a forest type of fragrance, so the combinations are potentially unlimited. Personally I would combine NG's Hayride with Flaming's Woodland Foliage and a touch of Aztec's Fresh Cut Pine but that's just what I have on hand. Can't help with the leather fragrance, but I'd consider throwing in a pinch of musk with that combo.

IMO, Woodland Foliage is the best forest smell in a bottle!

• Thanks 1

Ugh horse oob smelled like cologne. 

For those layers any fresh cut grass will work. For leather, ahre has a nice one. And for wood, you could go in several directions- pine, oak, oud, sandalwood, cedar...

dont forget about apples, molasses and carrots. And dirt 😂

Ahre (and many others) has all of the above in different forms 🤗

• Thanks 2

Do you buy from Nature's Garden? I like their Hayride scent better than the others I've smelled, which have been almost perfumey to me. It's also different than Fresh Cut Grass too. It almost reminds me of the scent of freshly mown hay wafting through the air. Kind of sweet, kind of that dried grassy smell...I don't know how to describe it lol. 

I have only purchased from FC, CS and VCC so far but I am very open to other companies for FO! Hayride sounds exactly like what I am looking for- I think I will go with that. I am also going to try the woodland foliage as well. I just hope I can find a decent leather.. I love the idea of molasses, apples and carrots and maybe I’ll do a separate scent for that one. I’m really exited about this project and appreciate so much all the feedback!