Thoughts on Hemp wicks

I am looking to get hotter wicks.  It seems like a wood wick gives me a decent throw, but I don't want the look of a wood wick. I've used cd14 and cd12 in an 8 oz status jar with gw 464 and the burn tests are poor. After 3 hours it has barely touched the sides of the jar and there is no depth to speak of. Looking to try hemp. Anyone have any thoughts?

• 1 month later...

I too am a newbie to candles.  Haven't made any yet; in the research stage.  I've been drawn to hemp wicks... I guess for the rustic look of it.  I will be making dipped beeswax with maybe a combo of other waxes as yet undecided.  I very much would like some input on hemp wicks.

In a status jar with soy wax, if your melt pool gets to the sides within the first burn or two it’s going to be far, far too hot by the middle, and a tiki torch by the bottom.

rule of thumb: wick for the bottom of the jar. Keep burning that one until it is all the way to the bottom before you judge the wick. 

That said, hemp wicks don’t come in a whole lot of sizes. With 464, which can be kind of temperature sensitive,  I would try another series with in between sizes, like eco, paper core, RRD, hot or lx.