Coco/soy candles

WaxDaddy

Hey everyone, hope you are all doing well. I have been working away from soy a bit and going to a coconut base. I know there are a ton of people on here experimenting with other waxes than soy. I just wanted to get an idea of what your findings are if you are willing to share!

The other day I ordered the Naturewax Coconut 2..coconut 98%, soy 2%.

-Obviously, they are a bit soft after they set for a day. What's the type of wax and % are you using to harden the wax. Is it affecting your HT?

-I used eco 4,6,8 and some very small wooden wicks to test. Seeing as coconut takes a couple days to set, I have not burned them yet. What wicks have you found work with your cocosoy blends?

-My jars I have them in are the 4oz and 9oz amber jars from Fillmore Containers

As a sidenote- I ordered the coffeehouse and toasted marshmellow FO from RE and hollllllllllly moley am I excited to use those, maybe even blend them????

On 6/1/2018 at 3:01 PM, WaxDaddy said:

The other day I ordered the Naturewax Coconut 2..coconut 98%, soy 2%.

I can't answer your question, but I'm eager to hear from others, because I've been going back and forth with myself about trying it to blend with C3. The description for Coconut 2 on Northstar's website says: ""Coconut 2 is intended to be blended with other waxes for creating your own special blend. If used as is without blending with other waxes or additives your candles would be very soft and fragrances will bead up on top of candle in warm weather." So I'm curious, too, about a starting point for determining the ratio of soy:coconut when coming up with a custom blend.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Linda P said:

I can't answer your question, but I'm eager to hear from others, because I've been going back and forth with myself about trying it to blend with C3. The description for Coconut 2 on Northstar's website says: ""Coconut 2 is intended to be blended with other waxes for creating your own special blend. If used as is without blending with other waxes or additives your candles would be very soft and fragrances will bead up on top of candle in warm weather." So I'm curious, too, about a starting point for determining the ratio of soy:coconut when coming up with a custom blend.

Thanks for the response @Linda P! I actually just tested a burn with the base (coco2) yesterday without adding more soy to it. I used 6% in a 4oz amber jar. I let it sit 48 hours, as I've read that's what some people on here recommended. The CT was awesome, HT, not so much at all. Did not even fill up my 4x10 bathroom.

I'm not sure if it was the wax, as I have read that people with this ratio see awesome HT. It could be because I was unfamiliar with the wax and let it get to 220 while melting. I added at 200 and poured at 185. Not sure if that effected it or not, but the no HT is disappointing for sure. I thought the coconut would throw more than the straight 464 I was using previously!

Disappointing to hear about the lack of HT you experienced, since coconut in general seems to be touted as having better HT than soy. In particular, Northstar claims that Coconut 2 "Helps improve scent throw with soy candles at rates of 5% to 25%.

Do you think adding the oil at 200 could be the culprit for your weak HT?  I know if I add fragrance oil when it is too hot the candle will have good CT and HT in melts but won't have any HT in candles.  I'm very interested in trying to add some coconut wax after reading this thread!

• Like 1