Jump to content
Testing123

wick suggestions: problend 600 (52% soy and 48% paraffin)

Recommended Posts

Goodmorning everyone, would love your expertise. I'm trying to find the proper wick for Problend 600. I will be using a 9oz ....3.6 inches tall, 2.5 inches wide jar. I've tried eco - all sizes, but it either mushrooms or smokes. Any suggestions?

 

problend is 52% soy and 48% paraffin

Edited by Testing123
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just started testing this wax with CD wicks. They seem to be doing pretty good so far. I've also used htp wicks with good results.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I tried the eco 12 in a 3" diameter status jar, and it was too big. I made another candle and am waiting for it to cure so I can retest it. I also tried the eco 12 in a larger jar, 16 oz with a 3" diameter (has a small shoulder) and it's burning beautifully in that one. Only a small amount of soot and no mushrooming thus far, I'm currently burning it every day. 

 

Both candles I made had a very good scent throw. I really like this wax thus far. I'll be ordering more of it to play with when we relocate next week.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Back from the dead...

Same 9 oz straight-sided jar as OP, and 8 oz short smooth-sided mason jars. FC Coffee House at 8% (good HT), and Apple Cinnamon at 6% (weak HT).

I've tried several wick series (LX, Premier, CD, ECO, and HTP-73) and sizes, but always seem to get mushrooms and/or soot. LX-18 seems to be the best in both jars with . The only thing I don't have is a smaller HTP...the 73 was too hot.

Any other suggestions before I jump ship on this wax?
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't use that wax, but I think my parasoy is similar, so my suggestions would be....if you are using the square mason jars, Eco 8.  If you are using jelly jars, Eco 2.  
Side note:  Eco wicks are directional, so be sure not to use one upside down.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/22/2019 at 9:26 AM, bfroberts said:

I don't use that wax, but I think my parasoy is similar, so my suggestions would be....if you are using the square mason jars, Eco 8.  If you are using jelly jars, Eco 2.  
Side note:  Eco wicks are directional, so be sure not to use one upside down.

I thought rrd's were the only directional wick??? How did I not know this?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, jaybee said:

I thought rrd's were the only directional wick??? How did I not know this?

I don't think they are largely considered to be directional, meaning they do work both ways, but they do not draw the wax as well upside down.  One of the suppliers told me this, and when I tested it I could tell a bit of a difference.  It made my testing go much easier once I found that out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had no idea!  I've been using some RRD wicks that I bought as raw wick (not pre-tabbed), so they must be spooled in the right direction, lol, since I've had no issues!  When I start to get to the end of my roll, I guess I'd better place a note of some sort on the wicking so I don't thread the wrong end.

Edited by birdcharm
"spooled" may not be the correct word

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So now, I'm testing this 9 oz status jar with the Problend 600 wax using an Eco 4 wick. We shall see! I love the look of this wax, but darned if I can find the proper wick for it. :waiting:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Hopie said:

So now, I'm testing this 9 oz status jar with the Problend 600 wax using an Eco 4 wick. We shall see! I love the look of this wax, but darned if I can find the proper wick for it. :waiting:


I loved the way it poured and the look of it, but just couldn't get any consistency out of it.

Using the 9 oz straight sided jars and 7% to 8%, I had two FO's that just flat wouldn't work at all in it, with any wick type or size. (NG's Fireplace, and FC's Apple Cinnamon). Barely any hot or cold throw at all, and could never get the burn where I wanted it either. That was with a 2 week cure.

With FC's Woodland Foliage (basically pine) and Coffee House FO's, the throw was actually pretty good...but wicking it took forever. Eco-4's were too cold, Eco-6's were too hot. CD's were a sooty mess. Premiers were ok (something around a 750 or 755), but they weren't consistent. 

The best wick I found by far was an LX-16 or 18. Both worked about the same, and surprisingly had almost identical burn rates and melt pool temps. In fact in my tests with this setup, the LX-16 and LX-18 were for all practical purposes completely interchangeable (except the 18 had slightly better HT... which I don't understand since the MP temp and burn rate were the same as the 16)

I finally got tired of fighting it, and am now moving on to IGI 4636. I'll probably just use up the rest of my PB600 in some old jars for candles around the house.

On a semi-related note, the PB650 actually works pretty nicely for melts, with every FO I tried (about 10 of them). But I'm also going away from it and on to a pillar parafin, to simplify and cut down on shipping costs.

Good luck. If you stumble onto something, please post back!

Edited by calan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm finding zinc wicks work well with PB600, similar to 6006 with similar throw.  Really only difference I can tell from the 6006 is no sink holes & no wet spots.  Agree that the PB650 makes good tarts; had one that I could still smell lightly after 2-3 days continuous.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Timber said:

I'm finding zinc wicks work well with PB600, similar to 6006 with similar throw.  Really only difference I can tell from the 6006 is no sink holes & no wet spots.  Agree that the PB650 makes good tarts; had one that I could still smell lightly after 2-3 days continuous.

I think I have a few zinc wicks under some dust bunnies in here...what size worked for you? I have a 9 oz status. I'd love to know.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

2 hours ago, Hopie said:

I think I have a few zinc wicks under some dust bunnies in here...what size worked for you? I have a 9 oz status. I'd love to know.

I haven't tested the 600 in status jars too much but mostly use 51z.  I've been  burning ICS Pumpkin Pecan Waffle in a status with the 51z & it throws from the front of my house thru to the back & up the stairs.  I could smell it strongly when I walked in the back door earlier today & it was sitting on my piano in the living room near the front door.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Timber said:

 

I haven't tested the 600 in status jars too much but mostly use 51z.  I've been  burning ICS Pumpkin Pecan Waffle in a status with the 51z & it throws from the front of my house thru to the back & up the stairs.  I could smell it strongly when I walked in the back door earlier today & it was sitting on my piano in the living room near the front door.

Well, dang, knock my nose off, that's one heck of a scent throw! Lemme' see now...51Z...yep, I've got a bag of 'em. Maybe I'll pour one with that wick. Thanks for the info. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...