Shelf Life

scrubzz

I realise there are a lot of variables that go into each persons creations - but what would you say is the shelf life of your soap and is it CP or HP - by shelf life I mean how long will it remain perfect when unused and stored properly in a cool dry place - thank you

I've had soap (CP) last 2+years.  Fragrance does sometimes fade but still good soap.  At the very least 1 year.  I keep a bar from each batch and set it aside when using a new scent or recipe and keep it long term to see how it fares.  I have some that are 8 years old.  Not much scent in some but still good soap.  I'll pull one out once in awhile to use them.

Edited by Shari

Thanks for the reply - of course scents fade and the fading will vary depending on the scent - would you say then that on average the soap would be sellable for one year from date of being made?

If you mean perfect in the sense that the scent is still there, I would say anywhere from 2-3 years (depending on the scent of course). I've had a soap/scent that has lasted over 5 years, and am still reluctant to use it because it is so "perfect" meaning the looks and dry scent look as good as it did when it cured. 

That is rare though, most of mine - the dry scent will fade by year 3 if not sooner (even though in the shower or when they get wet the scent returns). 

I will put a soap out for sale for up to 3 years (If they don't sell out by then, and are still have a dry scent) but after that I sell them as seconds for a discount. 

Now if we are talking just how long soap lasts, whether the dry scent has faded or not, I've used soaps where the scent has long gone faded that are well over 7-8 years old, and TBH are some of the best soaps I've used. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, scrubzz said:

would you say then that on average the soap would be sellable for one year from date of being made?

It would also depend on the oils used. 100% Olive Oil soaps aren't even at their best until they are at least a year old. Same with 100% Coconut Oil salt bars, so with those I don't even wrap or put up for sale until they are a year old. 

This is why testing and knowing your product is so important. It's not a one-size fits all type of product because everyone does things so differently, from the oils used to the method of soaping, even down to the liquids used. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, scrubzz said:

Thanks for the reply - of course scents fade and the fading will vary depending on the scent - would you say then that on average the soap would be sellable for one year from date of being made?

As stated above, depends on the recipe and oils used.  Some oils have short shelf life and are prone to DOS.   I too cure my salt bars a long time before selling (at least 6 mos but prefer 12), castile I only make 1 batch a year and it's cured for a year.

Thank you for your replies - I know there are so many variables here that it is really hard to say - I am just curious on what generally would be considered the shelf life on different items people make - I have been reading pretty much everything on the board here and researching like you would not believe lol - I am not planning on selling anything for awhile but just trying to learn as much as I can about everything that I can - I have had some recent health issues that have laid me up in the bed unable to walk without crutches so am unable to work or do much of anything else except read or watch tv and I refuse to watch tv all day - I thought my time would be much better spent on learning and looking to the future - l thank you both again for your responses

53 minutes ago, scrubzz said:

I am just curious on what generally would be considered the shelf life on different items people make

For almost anything else, there would probably be an answer. For home made candles, soaps, and B&B items, there are no fast and hard rules as to how long something will last because there really are too many variables, including where you make your items (meaning geography of where you are in the country) If you live in a hot, humid climate, things may take longer to cure, but have a shorter shelf life, but if you live in a cool, dry climate, the shelf life might be longer because you are not combating that humidity. 

Everything plays a part, so we wouldn't even be able to generalize for you.