6006 cure time

I love this forum!! so many people know so much and are so willing to share.  It's great!!

So since I have tried burning the 6006 with the different sizes.  I probably need to pour another to try the smaller wick?  

I read somewhere that when the candle gets a pool going it has a memory  so if I try the smaller wick again, the pool will not be right and the scent has already burned off mostly right?

• Like 1

I learned a long time ago to stagger your pours, i.e., pour them every day or every few days or weeks along the way, so you always have something fun to test or burn for yourself. After you've been pouring for awhile, you won't get "antsy" for something to test or personally burn. It really works for me and it alleviates impatience to light something up before it's time :)

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, karinz40 said:

I  see lone star is having a 505  off sale on fo's so here goes.  i need to find strong scents.. Suggestions?

I think that's just on the 1 oz but I loaded up!  Those are great for making melts since I need an ounce for 4-5.  I'm excited to try the carrot cake!  Read the reviews that say the buyer used the scent in wax-you'll get a good idea of which are good throwers

11 hours ago, karinz40 said:

I love this forum!! so many people know so much and are so willing to share.  It's great!!

So since I have tried burning the 6006 with the different sizes.  I probably need to pour another to try the smaller wick?  

I read somewhere that when the candle gets a pool going it has a memory  so if I try the smaller wick again, the pool will not be right and the scent has already burned off mostly right?

It’s worth trying to pull the original wick and stick in a smaller one. Sometimes you can dig out the tab, then smush the wax back down well enough to level the top enough to see if you’re going in the right direction. If it looks close, make another and test from the top. 

Sometimes i am lucky enough to yank the wick clean from the tab, then poke in a new one. The problem with that in tins is the wick will tip over fairly quickly since there’s not much depth to hold it upright. It’s a good exercise though. Better than losing the whole tester. 

• Like 1

So if I am testing in a 3 in  8 oz tin and use 5 oz of wax to melt (6006 for now) what amount of the 1 oz fo should I be using?  1/2 of the bottle or is that to much . 1 oz [per pound seems to be to little to get a good scent.  That is the confusing part.  I want to find a scent and wick that work so I can get these candles made for gifts and maybe my daughters wedding as favors in the fall.  I want a strong scent vbut they need to be right.

9 minutes ago, karinz40 said:

So if I am testing in a 3 in  8 oz tin and use 5 oz of wax to melt (6006 for now) what amount of the 1 oz fo should I be using?  1/2 of the bottle or is that to much . 1 oz [per pound seems to be to little to get a good scent.  That is the confusing part.  I want to find a scent and wick that work so I can get these candles made for gifts and maybe my daughters wedding as favors in the fall.  I want a strong scent vbut they need to be right.

Is the fragrance itself a light scent?  if so it will not have as strong of a hot throw.  How strong the scent is has alot to do with how well you can smell it when you are burning the candle.  Not to mention a wick that is not the proper size limits the amount of scent you get as well.

2 hours ago, karinz40 said:

I prefer to work with percentages, since I so rarely pour exactly 1 pound of wax. If you're going with 1oz per pound of wax, that's 6%. That's a really good starting point, and you can adjust your % easily to suit your tastes. So 6% of 5oz is .3oz of FO. 

So it has been 2 week since I made the LEAVES candles 6006+ in 8 oz tins so lit today.

Small flame is CD8  Larger is CD10 both after 2 hours and full melt pool deep but since it is summer maybe tha'ts why, hot

The larger one the wick fell over due to the melt pool and I just caught it in time to keep burning, it curled.

I can smell the scent but not really stron.

How does this look???

DSC00019.JPG

DSC00020.JPG

I’m going to say your over wicked...if your wick almost fell over that isn’t good and deep pools after 2 hours isn’t really ideal especially in a tin....the further it burns down the hotter it will get 

The 8 isn’t horrible but if you have any 6 or 7 CD I would pull those and try it and see what you get 

I will try the CD 6.  It may be because the air condition in my home is not working so the wax got soft from that to begin with.

I used 10 oz of wax, 5 for each tin and 10% Leaves FO. It is not a strong fo to begin with.

Not sure I'm liking this wax now.

I’m going to pour some 8oz tins with 6006 for testing this weekend. I’ll try to report back here and we can compare notes. I’m going to try a CD6, CD8, and a 51 zinc core. I’ll be pouring two of each so I can burn one next weekend and the others in about a month.

• Like 1

I'm wondering if a hot, dry climate can impact how a candle burns?  I use the CD8 in an 8 oz tin with 6006 wax and it works great here in Texas where it's hot and humid. ; karinz40 lives in a hot dry climate..........can that have an effect?

2 hours ago, lightmyfire said:

I'm wondering if a hot, dry climate can impact how a candle burns?  I use the CD8 in an 8 oz tin with 6006 wax and it works great here in Texas where it's hot and humid. ; karinz40 lives in a hot dry climate..........can that have an effect?

Short answer, yes. Definitely. 

• Like 1

I think I am going to give up on the 6006.

I was burning the 8 oz tin with 6006 that had cured for 2 week and was doing nicely after 2 hours the pool was just about 3/4 and when I left the room and came back the wick had fallen over and the flame went out.

I had cut the CD6 and put in the hole in the center so it was not a real glued in wick. just the testing one.

I thought I had that one licked,  Sad

I also was burning the same fo in 8 oz tin with Premier 725 and the same thing happened, MP was just about the same so thinking the wicks are very very similar

Still sad.  I know it's hot here but should that really happen??

Melt pools in soy and parasoy tend to be much deeper than they appear. When you see a clear layer, look closely and the area below is slushy for quite some depth. In tins, it does not take long for them to go from looking perfect to completely liquid. 

Your wick fell over because it wasn't secured to the bottom of the tin.  That's normal.  I always test shallow containers with a secure wick so it can be burned to the end without leaning or falling over.  I use hot glue for test containers because it's easy to remove.

I am finding that 6006 is pretty easy to over-wick. I'm using 9oz straight-sided jars which are about 2.75" wide I think? I forget now. I started testing with CD-12s, then 10s, then 8s, now 7s. And by half to 2/3 of the way down it is a torch that gets WAY too big and hot. To the point that it actually stops throwing mid-burn. I also test without trimming, but that is because I know all of my family and friends do not trim their wicks so I want to know how they will burn the way my family burns them lol. I will be testing CD-6's next and hoping that is small enough lol. 

• Like 2