Bees Wax

Sebleo

A local bee keeper gave me some bees wax to work with. Can it be used in lip balms? What would I need to do to it, if anything?

He told me he strained it. I can't remember the process he used bUT I see him all the time and can ask.

There’s an awful lot of debris in wax, usually. You may find bee legs, wings, antennae, dirt, bits of leaves, etc. for lips I usually buy the commercially cleaned versions.

You could, if really motivated to use this particular wax on lips, wash it. Put the wax in a pot of water. Heat to simmer until the wax is totally melted. Cool. Remove the disk of wax dumping the water. Scrape the bottom grossness from the disk and throw it away leaving just the wax. Repeat til clean. You’ll no longer have the honey smell, but more importantly the detritus will usually be gone leaving nice clean beeswax. 

On 5/25/2018 at 12:40 PM, iansmommaya said:

How much did he strain it? What color is it now? Is the wax light or dark? Is it cappings?

I am not sure. It is a medium yellow disc of wax. 

On 5/25/2018 at 8:35 PM, TallTayl said:

There’s an awful lot of debris in wax, usually. You may find bee legs, wings, antennae, dirt, bits of leaves, etc. for lips I usually buy the commercially cleaned versions.

You could, if really motivated to use this particular wax on lips, wash it. Put the wax in a pot of water. Heat to simmer until the wax is totally melted. Cool. Remove the disk of wax dumping the water. Scrape the bottom grossness from the disk and throw it away leaving just the wax. Repeat til clean. You’ll no longer have the honey smell, but more importantly the detritus will usually be gone leaving nice clean beeswax. 

Thank you. That does sound like a lot of work!

Can you point me in a direction for the commercially cleaned wax?

If I decide to use this wax for this project or another,  can anyone suggest a fair price to pay for it?

I buy from either American soy organics, Bulk apothecary or Soapers Choice usually. Smaller quantities can be found at most soap supply and candle supply shops. The smaller the quantity the more $$. Going rate for small quantity is in the $10 per lb neighborhood. 

Some years ago, I had a coworker whose husband dabbled in bee keeping and they give me some wax....it had been filtered but I filtered it more.......heated it up and poured it thru coffee filters several times and then used it in lip balms.  With fresh beeswax, it's all about filtering out the impurities.