Any quilter here:

Pam W

A friend brought me a piece of material from Guatemala....hand loomed by local people and it is enough to make a couple of lap quilts (one for me and one for her) but I just keep staring at the material trying to decide just how to make the quilt....I'm not wanting to cut up the material into squares but want to use it whole........I look at this material every day and have yet to come up with a design.

Anyone else experience this type of 'brain-fog' when trying to design a quilt?

If you don't want to cut it up, why not use it for backing?  I use standard width fabric for backing my lap quilts and it works great with no piecing.  I usually get 2 yards of backing fabric, but have at least a third of a yard left over for binding or another project.

Ya, having brain fog stinks so i call it brain farts 😁

You could try just putting a border around it, so you can leave it solid. Or you could window pane it, with just four large squares with simple borders. I know you said you would rather leave it solid, but Im just trying to throw out some simple ideas for ya 😁

As I continue to look at this piece of material, I've come up with the idea of cutting it into 4 or 6" squares and turning each square in the opposite direction then tying the center of each square with a matching color of yarn.  The design of material is not really exceptional but it's the story behind it - each thread was hand dyed, then hand woven by a villager in Chocola Guatemala where my friend has a humanitarian organization set up to help the local people improve their quality of life and I'd like to reward her with a lap quilt made from this material. 

Any input/suggestions are very welcome at this point.  I have the wood for the quilting frame waiting for that moment of inspiration....I'm ready to go when that moment hits me....kwim??

1206223897_material1.thumb.jpg.d25db22e3683cc43fafb13da9b334130.jpg