Respirators.

The second the wax starts melting until the very end when I walk out of the room 

I have been super bad about this lately making only small test batches and not wearing it and that is not a good thing....should be on through the whole process start to finish whether it’s 1 candle or 1000

Edited by moonshine
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, moonshine said:

The second the wax starts melting until the very end when I walk out of the room 

I have been super bad about this lately making only small test batches and not wearing it and that is not a good thing....should be on through the whole process start to finish whether it’s 1 candle or 1000

I’ve tried to leave it on the whole process and it gets a bit overwhelming so I’ve just been wearing it during the time I’m adding the FO as I’ve been suggested before. However I’m making them in my kitchen right now in my apartment which is open into my living room where they set... so I can’t really “leave the room” sadly. 😕 I’ve been trying to gage exactly when I should be taking it off.... when I can assume most of people the fumes have left. I always have fans going and windows open.... but still. 

Edited by Grungedoll

Since you're talking respirators, I have to give a shout out to this one. I LOVE it. It is the first one that is small enough and comfortable enough for me to wear for extended times. It is really light and easy to get on and off.  I get a really weird feeling if I don't wear it when making a lot of candles. I wear it when I make soaps too. 

https://www.amazon.com/GVS-SPR449-Elipse-Nuisance-Medium/dp/B016630UJU/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1527124248&sr=8-10&keywords=elipse+respirator

Edited by Jeana

1 hour ago, ShelleyF said:

I'm pretty new so I didn't even know I should wear one. Why do you need to since we breathe in the scents in the melters? I'm glad I found this topic.

Yep! It’s very important to invest in a good respirator when dealing with fragrance oils since they are in fact chemicals. I was recommended one when I’d first started posting here and I started making candles. I found mine at Home Depot for a decent price. The vapors from mixing are different than when the FOs have been thoroughly blended with the wax. If you do some searches on here there’s plenty of topics and tons of info about it that maybe better at explaining it. Always wear a respirator and always make your candles in a well ventilated area! I also wear latex gloves to protect my hands.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jeana said:

Since you're talking respirators, I have to give a shout out to this one. I LOVE it. It is the first one that is small enough and comfortable enough for me to wear for extended times. It is really light and easy to get on and off.  I get a really weird feeling if I don't wear it when making a lot of candles. I wear it when I make soaps too. 

http://www.rockler.com/gvs-elipse-p100-half-mask-respirators?sid=V9146?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=&utm_content=pla&utm_campaign=PL&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI2bDWq5Kd2wIVlorICh1beQ5wEAYYBCABEgI0ivD_BwE

How long after you get everything mixed do you continue to wear your respirator?

1 minute ago, Grungedoll said:

How long after you get everything mixed do you continue to wear your respirator?

If I stay in the shop I'll continue to wear it until the candles set up. While pouring I have both doors open for ventilation and use the mask. I prefer to shut the doors when the candles cool, so they cool more slowly. That's why i usually just leave after pouring. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jeana said:

If I stay in the shop I'll continue to wear it until the candles set up. While pouring I have both doors open for ventilation and use the mask. I prefer to shut the doors when the candles cool, so they cool more slowly. That's why i usually just leave after pouring. 

As I’d told moonshine, sadly I don’t have anywhere else to make my candles besides right in our open kitchen/living room of my apartment... so I don’t have anyway of really “leaving” the area... :( I really wish I had a garage or something. How long would you wear it in my situation?

12 hours ago, ShelleyF said:

I'm pretty new so I didn't even know I should wear one. Why do you need to since we breathe in the scents in the melters? I'm glad I found this topic.

Think about a big 4lb pour pot full of hot scented wax vs the little 1oz in a warmer.... That's a lot of fragrance to be inhaling. Then you're standing directly over it, stirring it and pouring it, even if you're only doing a pound at a time that's still a big hit to the lungs.

Most people consider respirators safety gear like goggles and gloves.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Sarah S said:

Think about a big 4lb pour pot full of hot scented wax vs the little 1oz in a warmer.... That's a lot of fragrance to be inhaling. Then you're standing directly over it, stirring it and pouring it, even if you're only doing a pound at a time that's still a big hit to the lungs.

Most people consider respirators safety gear like goggles and gloves.

That is true I never thought of it like that. I will have to get it soon. I only make melts and I make a pound or two at a time. I'm pretty new so I don't have a lot of customers yet. I've been testing everything to make sure it's good lately. Until I can afford an expensive respirator can I just wear a mask?

1 hour ago, Candybee said:

I wear mine while working with fragrances.

I do remember you saying that. Not to get annoying here so I’m very sorry for asking but how long after mixing the FO with the wax  would you recommend still wearing mine while making them in my little open apartment? I don’t have anywhere else to make them and the oils basically travel through the whole place.

Honestly, I’m just trying to get everyone’s opinion on how long I should really consider wearing my respirator as I’m confined to mixing and pouring all of my candles all in one little area which happens to be the majority of my apartment (my open kitchen and living room)? So my apologies that I keep repeating my question to each of you. :( I’m really not meaning to come off annoying or anything, it’s just the fumes here from FOs just seem to stay around and travel around the whole apartment for quite sometime even with all the windows and fans open and going and can really begin to annoy me... so I really am very thankful to anyone who gives me any answers. I know I’ve been posting a lot but I really do appreciate this board and the input that you receive here. Thank you!

2 hours ago, Grungedoll said:

I do remember you saying that. Not to get annoying here so I’m very sorry for asking but how long after mixing the FO with the wax  would you recommend still wearing mine while making them in my little open apartment? I don’t have anywhere else to make them and the oils basically travel through the whole place.

You can wear your respirator as long as you like. I only wear it during the whole time I am working with FOs. So that would be opening the bottle, measuring and weighing, and mixing in my candles. I continue to wear the respirator as I continue to make more candles until I am done.  Then I air out the area or ventilate it by opening up a window or using fans. I air out the area for at least half an hour.

You may also want to note that keeping pets and children out of the work area is important for their safety. I lock up kitty on candle making days so she does not ingest the vapors.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Grungedoll said:

Honestly, I’m just trying to get everyone’s opinion on how long I should really consider wearing my respirator as I’m confined to mixing and pouring all of my candles all in one little area which happens to be the majority of my apartment (my open kitchen and living room)? So my apologies that I keep repeating my question to each of you. :( I’m really not meaning to come off annoying or anything, it’s just the fumes here from FOs just seem to stay around and travel around the whole apartment for quite sometime even with all the windows and fans open and going and can really begin to annoy me... so I really am very thankful to anyone who gives me any answers. I know I’ve been posting a lot but I really do appreciate this board and the input that you receive here. Thank you!

I think you're answering your own question here. Don't second-guess yourself! Wear that respirator as long as you feel like you need to, everyone has their level of discomfort when working with fragrances. Do what seems right for you. 😁

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Grungedoll said:

As I’d told moonshine, sadly I don’t have anywhere else to make my candles besides right in our open kitchen/living room of my apartment... so I don’t have anyway of really “leaving” the area... :( I really wish I had a garage or something. How long would you wear it in my situation?

I've definitely been there. I used to pour in my kitchen at a house I lived in. I really didn't like doing that when I started to make enough to sell.

How many are you pouring at one time? And how often are you pouring? Are you selling them?

14 minutes ago, Jeana said:

I've definitely been there. I used to pour in my kitchen at a house I lived in. I really didn't like doing that when I started to make enough to sell.

How many are you pouring at one time? And how often are you pouring? Are you selling them?

At the moment I’m not selling them yet as I’m still doing tons of testing to see which wax, wick, FO combos I’m looking to stick with, testing burns, etc. So Ive only really been pouring at most maybe two pounds at a time (enough for two different scents at 6-7% in three 8 ounce canning jars each) but it can still get pretty strong in here since everything’s connected... (there’s only doors to the bedrooms and bathroom) and I’m doing it a few times a week. I am a bit concerned when I do start pouring more too since I do want to start selling them once I get everything where I want it and legal things in order. 

Edited by Grungedoll

18 minutes ago, Grungedoll said:

At the moment I’m not selling them yet as I’m still doing tons of testing to see which wax, wick, FO combos I’m looking to stick with, testing burns, etc. So Ive only really been pouring at most maybe two pounds at a time (enough for two different scents in three 8 ounce canning jars each) but it can still get pretty strong in here since everything’s connected... (there’s only doors to the bedrooms and bathroom) and I’m doing it a few times a week. I am a bit concerned when I do start pouring more too since I do want to start selling them once I get everything where I want it and legal things in order. 

Sometimes you have to get really creative to keep moving forward. Can you borrow a corner in a friends garage to pour? Maybe rent an inexpensive storage place to pour in. I don't know where you live but some places have storage places for about $50 month. You could possibly ask some commercial places in business parks if they have 100 sq ft areas to rent. If you look around you never know what you could find. But if you want to sell, and you are bothered by the scents already, you'll have trouble when things ramp up pouring at home. My whole shop is only 325 sq ft. But I have a front and back door, and I can leave. Even if you have a porch or balcony, I would pour out there on a table.

Edited by Jeana
  • Like 1

You may need to invest in some pretty hefty air cleaners. Imagine what you and your neighbors are being exposed to and what the apartment dwellers after you will be exposed to. The volatile compounds settle into every nook and cranny of the space. If your range hood fan exhausts to the outside, keep that on before, during and after for several hours to move that air out. 

Might want to read your renter agreement. Some do not allow manufacture within the premises. That’ll be mighty inconvenient once you get going 

2 hours ago, TallTayl said:

You may need to invest in some pretty hefty air cleaners. Imagine what you and your neighbors are being exposed to and what the apartment dwellers after you will be exposed to. The volatile compounds settle into every nook and cranny of the space. If your range hood fan exhausts to the outside, keep that on before, during and after for several hours to move that air out. 

Might want to read your renter agreement. Some do not allow manufacture within the premises. That’ll be mighty inconvenient once you get going 

So, you’re saying that the compounds of the FOs stay in the area despite good ventilation? I’m a bit confused. I’ve been told in the past that as long as I have everything well ventilated then I’d be fine, not to mention my fiancées well being which I’ve asked about as well being around the area afterwards. I leave fans and windows open for hours after pouring. I also don’t plan on making hundreds at a time probably even when I do start selling. I’ll only be making small batches. It’s very discouraging to me to think about all this being an even bigger issue when I genuinely don’t have anywhere else to go. I’ve heard of plenty of other people who produce in their kitchens/living rooms... if it was such an issue to that degree I would figure they wouldn’t continue to do so? We have a spare bedroom that we’ve discussed turning part of it into an area I can make my candles but now I don’t even know if I should do that. I suppose I will have to look over my renters agreement as well.

Just to add another perspective to your situation....if I lived in an apartment and my neighbor was pouring fragrance oil I would be pissed if I could smell it - they have no escape from it and what if their children or pets are sensitive to it....how would that make you feel if someone did that to you

FO is so strong and travels everywhere - I pour in a room in my basement with commercial exhaust and gas zapper on my furnace along with 2 air purifiers and you can still smell it in the garage and laundry room above me and outside where it’s blowing out, I have acreage so I’m not imposing on anyone but myself

my son has severe allergies so I don’t pour or burn at all when he is home from college....so if we lived in your apartment complex I would be turning you in

I am not trying to be rude here at all but you have to take into consideration the people around you seeing you live in a complex with other people in very close proximity- years ago when we lived in an apartment we knew what everyone around us was having for dinner and which ones were smokers - Fragrance oil is not something to mess around with, it can cause serious health problems especially with people who are already compromised health wise 

you really should find another place to pour - that’s my 2 cents and and as far as your respirator use that’s on you - you have to make that decision how long to wear it, it’s your safety and your lungs 

8 hours ago, Jeana said:

Sometimes you have to get really creative to keep moving forward. Can you borrow a corner in a friends garage to pour? Maybe rent an inexpensive storage place to pour in. I don't know where you live but some places have storage places for about $50 month. You could possibly ask some commercial places in business parks if they have 100 sq ft areas to rent. If you look around you never know what you could find. But if you want to sell, and you are bothered by the scents already, you'll have trouble when things ramp up pouring at home. My whole shop is only 325 sq ft. But I have a front and back door, and I can leave. Even if you have a porch or balcony, I would pour out there on a table.

Thank you for the ideas! I’m looking into it. I’ve been searching small places for rent and my fiancée and I have been asking around to see if anyone we know has garage space so hopefully something works out... no word yet though. I’ve been wanting to pour elsewhere for awhile now anyway. Do you think they’d allow a person to make candles in a storage unit...? Last I knew they didn’t have electricity in those, but I could be wrong! I’ve only ever shared one many years ago. What do you use for a shop?

Edited by Grungedoll