black candles

Hey Guys I don't know if anyone else has difficulty in making black candles...the challenge I seem to face is that firstly I use powder dye. It needs a lot of color and a lot of stirring ...even then I don't feel it has mixed very well.In fact if I am aiming for grey and use less color after a while I get little black dots all over the candle

Then  I get spots on the top of the candle which seem like spots of water so I am assuming that the fragrance has not mixed very well.

I am using paraffin wax, vanilla fragrance FO load at about 6% pouring at a temp of around 180C and I mix in the fragrance for 2 minutes.

What am I missing here?

What is the secret to getting smooth shiny spotless candles!

And there always seem tiny tiny bubbles/ spots whenever I make plain one color candles, and in black it appears even more prominent !

I have tried lowering the pouring temp...pouring slowly.It does not seem to help

I also have another BIG CHALLENGE...whenever I add any FO to a white candle it turns yellow in some time...some FO will turn them creamish and some will turn them properly yellowish...I have tried using UV protector,it does not change things too much...

There is a wealth of information out there I am sure, please please help you guys.

Is there a course or a website that one can refer to ?

Thank you so much, to every one in this forum who takes the time and effort to read and reply ,Thank you

Getting a black candle can be a bit tricky. You may want to test some other dyes. Liquid dyes may work a bit better to get a more black candle.

For the fragrance changing the wax color, unfortunately, that is completely unavoidable. Every fragrance is made with different ingredients so they will all have a different tint. Some are more yellow than others. UV inhibitor will not change that. You can dye the wax to try and hide it otherwise it is just a part of candle making.

what proportion do you blend soy with beeswax? I have to make my own blends here as in India we don't get blended waxes...I do a paraffin micro and stearin blend when making black candles.I am told that if I add a bit of beeswax like 2% i will get a good shine.I tried that too but it did not make much of a difference>

2 hours ago, Vee said:

Thanks guys.I am trying to get liquid black dyes.Any recommendations...is the candlescience one good?

there was a member here who suggested using black pigment powder from bittercreek candle supplies to get true black candles. Mix it with the fragrance not the wax to get a true black color.

In reference to the air bubbles and the spots ... you can tell if it's fragrance usually by sniffing it or the feel of it is kind of oily. When you pour you might try running something around your edges and base that would jar any air bubbles. You specks are mostly caused by air or dirt. You can spot them in the lighter colors and no colored pours because they're shiny looking beads or droplets is the best way I can think of to describe it. 

Hey Scented sorry I did not understand ... running something around the edges and base? Like apply something or run the heat gun ? I am making pillars...so do I apply on the mold? Please pardon my ignorance... thanks

23 hours ago, Testing123 said:

there was a member here who suggested using black pigment powder from bittercreek candle supplies to get true black candles. Mix it with the fragrance not the wax to get a true black color.

That was me. Mixing it into the fragrance acts as a solvent for the dye. I usually mix in what I need to the entire lb once I figure out how much I need in a particular wax.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Flicker said:

That was me. Mixing it into the fragrance acts as a solvent for the dye. I usually mix in what I need to the entire lb once I figure out how much I need in a particular wax.

Yes it was you :) Sorry I couldn't recall your username at the time. But I hope to use your tip soon in some candles I'm making for my brother who loves black candles. Thank you much!!

On 5/22/2018 at 2:23 AM, Vee said:

Hey Scented sorry I did not understand ... running something around the edges and base? Like apply something or run the heat gun ? I am making pillars...so do I apply on the mold? Please pardon my ignorance... thanks

Sorry didn't get back to you sooner. After you pour your candle take a peek at your mold. You can spot air bubbles in the wax. Running something would be like taking a bamboo stick for a swirl around the inside of your mold. It will dislodge any air bubbles that you can see and might help you on jet black candles too. Air bubbles are likely causing some of your tiny bubbles. Are you using metal, aluminum, plastic, plexiglass or silicone molds? 

If you're using a mold that requires a mold release, that can cause those pits too. Might have to wipe on your mold release. If I were on a different computer I could show you what to look for when it comes to what air bubbles look like clinging to the side of a mold. 

On ‎5‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 12:27 AM, Scented said:

Sorry didn't get back to you sooner. After you pour your candle take a peek at your mold. You can spot air bubbles in the wax. Running something would be like taking a bamboo stick for a swirl around the inside of your mold. It will dislodge any air bubbles that you can see and might help you on jet black candles too. Air bubbles are likely causing some of your tiny bubbles. Are you using metal, aluminum, plastic, plexiglass or silicone molds? 

If you're using a mold that requires a mold release, that can cause those pits too. Might have to wipe on your mold release. If I were on a different computer I could show you what to look for when it comes to what air bubbles look like clinging to the side of a mold. 

A tip for mold release, powder mold release works incredible! I have a healthy stock of it I bought years ago, BC may still sell it? But it worked better than any spray and I never had issues with it messing with my candles exterior.

• 1 year later...
2 hours ago, TallTayl said:

the one I'm using now is from Aromahaven/Rustic Escentuals. Have not had any trouble with it.

I'm using Rustic Escentuals also with good results and also liquid dyes from General Wax / Candlemakingsupplies.net

I have heard that French Color are making good liquid dyes but I haven't had the chance to try them... http://www.frenchcolor.com/candles-air-care/

• Thanks 1