Unscientific IGI 4630 Wick Test

I can't seem to post in the official wick test subforum, so if someone wants to move this, feel free.  I ordered a bunch of wick samples and tried a few with my 2.75" diameter tins.  I didn't do any measurements, and I burned them as I feel a typical user would...randomly.  Sometimes I had them run long, other times, they were short burns.  Attached is the progression of each of the samples, along with the wick ID.  No fragrance was used.

Initial burn.  The zinc 34-40 was clearly underpowered for this candle setup.  The other zinc mushroomed pretty quickly off the bat.  

image.png.3c324983a5319005ab620f51c490bc24.png.

Burn #2.  The CDs seem to burn pretty hot, with a big flame.  Even the small zinc mushroomed a bit.  I prefer the burn pattern and flame size of the two Prems, HTP73, and the Eco8.

image.png.3e5a5e6ee75c5934e590b39de8de260c.png

Burn #3:  Same story (IMO).  Two Prems, along with the HTP73 and the Eco have left a little wax on the edge, but that is melting slowly but surely.  CD's are fully melted, with the HTP93 almost completely melted as well.  Zinc 44-24-8 seems like the right power, but still significant mushrooming.

image.png.c74ff58c0432b6fdb26348e39b8c8aa2.png

Final Result:  CDs showing minor mushrooming as well, along with the zinc.  I feel like the Eco8, the Prems, and the HTPs did pretty well, however the Prems and the HTPs left some residual soot on the edge of the tin that the Eco did not seem to leave.  

image.png.5cc5eb572ded8266916269a3ac6fb119.png

• Thanks 1

In my humblest opinion, All but zinc were pretty well overwicked. I’d bump down several sizes at least. 

If if I were using eco, I’d start at about a 2 or at most a 4. Those generate some serious burn power

4630 is such a different wax. It will weep wax from the walls without a super deep middle in melt pool. 

I would use a paper core in the 44- similar to the zinc, personally. 

7 minutes ago, TallTayl said:

In my humblest opinion, All but zinc were pretty well overwicked. I’d bump down several sizes at least. 

If if I were using eco, I’d start at about a 2 or at most a 4. Those generate some serious burn power

4630 is such a different wax. It will weep wax from the walls without a super deep middle in melt pool. 

I would use a paper core in the 44- similar to the zinc, personally. 

I went off the recommendations from the supplier and chose the smallest and middle of the road one.  I almost thought the Eco 8 was a bit underpowered with the residual wax on the side until it melted it at the end.    

23 minutes ago, moonshine said:

Eco 8 is the prettiest but way to liquid imo 

I would go down like TT said and try a 4....you may be surprised and the paper work very well in 4630 with what little I have experimented with it 

Being an Eco user for containers, I have to agree with going down to a smaller wick.  I don't do metal containers,  that said, if I did I would be downsizing the wick because the metal in the container can get fairly HOT.  But to this day, I really don't understand why anyone wants a candle in a metal container........but that's just me........make your pour in a glass container and go from there........but like I said previously...........that's just me.

Yeah I may try a Eco 4/6.  I've liked Eco thus far and wouldn't mind continuing to use them.  I can't find paper cores at my regular suppliers (or I'm too stupid to know what to look for)....what and where does one order when using paper cores?

Edited by Paintguru

3 hours ago, Pam W said:

Being an Eco user for containers, I have to agree with going down to a smaller wick.  I don't do metal containers,  that said, if I did I would be downsizing the wick because the metal in the container can get fairly HOT.  But to this day, I really don't understand why anyone wants a candle in a metal container........but that's just me........make your pour in a glass container and go from there........but like I said previously...........that's just me.

My main pours are glass but I have gone back to 8 ounce tin testing and they can get hot- especially with eco 

what I like about the them is being able to have a decent sized candle that travels well and if I get back to doing shows they will be so much easier and lighter to deal with plus in my area you don’t see them much

I don’t color my jars and I love playing with dye in the tins 🤗

Edited by moonshine

• 1 month later...

Just to follow up, I've tried Eco 4s and 6s at this point, and I seem to like the 6's the best.  I feel like the Eco 4 left a little too much wax on the side of the container.  I did add fragrance, and mushrooming was minimal, which is awesome.  

I will also note that 4630 does seem to throw much better for me than C4 soy (shocker I know!).  I think I'll definitely switch over to 4630 full time once I start scaling up my products.