C3 best wick

I what to check with you C3 users about which wick do you get the best hot throw from? I currently use HTP wicks but have been testing CD wicks since some people say they have better hot throw than HTP wicks. I've heard some people like to use Eco wicks with C3. Just looking for feedback as to what you have found to have the best results. I'm personally not seeing any difference between CD and HTP. Thanks in advance.... ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Following!  I just ordered a sample bag of c3 to try - any follow up on wick suggestions? From what I have read c3 is very tempermental and generally you should only use a 6% fragrance load unless using additives (which I have not purchased).  What are you testing with? I have also read that c3 likes it HOT, so you should size up in wicks.

• 3 months later...

I’ve just started testing cotton core in different retail soy waxes (444, C3 and Midwest). Even in naked C3 wax The carbon balls form very early, and seem to suppress the flame to the point of almost extinguishing it. When I knock the carbon off the stalk of the wick stays in the middle of the flame and almost immediately begins to form the carbon again.  

They seem to need a really an aggressive trim before relighting or they spout soot and really heat up that candle. How do you get around that with your customers? 

• 3 weeks later...

I’ve gotten good results from premier wicks in the past, especially in tins. But, now I’m doing more straight glass jars, and I’m strongly considering going back to ECOs. 

Im also incorporating coconut wax into my c3, and the premiers burn a little too hot. I need to do a test soon to reevaluate all my wick situations, actually. 😕

• 3 weeks later...

wick composition and design is specific to the wax type (veg or crude derived). Veg waxes are generally lower melting point, higher viscosity and larger large molecules.  Wick symptoms are caused by poor combustion and ventilation.  Wick material and make up, influences how much liquid wax is delivered to the flame. Generally if too much fuel is delivered to flame, you end up with incomplete combustion, and  the result is soot/carbon build-up.  Hence mushrooming. Wick composition and material types, that make up various wicks and sizes have the effect of either retarding or enhancing fuel flow to keep the flame burning. Certain wicks also burn hotter than others, the function of this is aimed at the various base wax melting temperature, wax molecular structure and container sizes.  So generally the wax viscosity at a specific melting point will have major influence on flame size and tendency to mushroom. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, ellajoan said:

I just bought a few pounds of C-3 to test/play around with over the holidays.  I have just about every size of premier wicks--thinking about trying a paper cored one, as well.  Any suggestions?

Paper did not get hot enough in my early trials and mushroomed horribly. Maybe you’ll have better luck.

Thanks so much @TallTayl and @Trappeur!  Always appreciate your advice.  

So in the jar I currently use (Flint 8 oz with 2.75 diameter), this is what I'm thinking for my C-3 no frag, no additive, test burns.  I'd love your input, having never used C-3 before.

Premier 760 or 765

Eco 12

HTP 104?

CD 10?  or CD 12?

Ellajoan,

Your spot on with wicks I would suggest to start with in the htp's and cd's......That's exactly where I would start.   I can't speak for the premier or eco's.

Let us know how you do....good luck to ya!

When I use c3 and pour I always pour around 149 give or take.   This always made really nice smooth tops for me.   Now I believe TT pours at slush stage.....Funny how all our testings are different. 

Trappeur

Edited by Trappeur
  • Like 1

In that jar eco10 or 12 would be a good start. Cd just don’t throw in c3 for me. They melt tons of wax with too little consumption. 

if you have cotton core,  44-32-18, 44-36-18 or 51 would be a good start. 

Rrd can do ok in c3 too. They were too long of a stalk for my liking but the get hit enough to throw the heavy c3. 

I pour at 105, to prevent cracks and cavities. C3 will definitely get cavities if poured at a temp that allows rapid uneven cooling. The top will look perfect while the wick and base are riddled with holes. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ellajoan said:

So in the jar I currently use (Flint 8 oz with 2.75 diameter), this is what I'm thinking for my C-3 no frag, no additive, test burns.  I'd love your input, having never used C-3 before.

Premier 760 or 765

Eco 12

HTP 104?

CD 10?  or CD 12?

For the Premiers, 760/765 is a great starting point. Might need to go up to a 770, but it's really container specific. Post results!! I'm excited to see what you discover!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...